Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I got an estimate from my dealer on the 10" Monkey Bar install. $250 or $850 if I want to run the wires internally.

That's a HUGE difference.

Anyone here that DIDN'T go the internal route? Are you happy with how it looks? Care to share any pics?

Thanks!

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have not seen them with external wiring, but have "heard" that it looks like sh*t. Your $850 quote sounds ridiculous. I say find an independant shop somewhere. That's what I did. A non-HD shop charged my $60/hr for 5 hours; $300. I usually do most of my own mods, but heard too many horror stories about PYMB installs.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I too prefer to do my own mods, but something like this I'd rather leave to a pro.

Yeah, they said it's pretty much a $600 difference between just slapping the bars on there and running the wiring as it is on the stock bars, or running them internally. They said it is a lot more work, and very time consuming. :(

Brake cable already will be exposed, can't run that inside the bars, so I was wondering if just having one sleeve of wires outside as well would really be that big of a difference considering the immense cost.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
All I can say is find an Indy, and get it done right, I.e internally wired. It will work and look way better.

Rowdy

·
Registered
381 Posts
Oh yeah.....and their $250 quote for the regular install is over-priced too. I recommend you tell that stealer dealer to go pound sand.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Get them ran internally. I got frustrated with the road6 bars on my last bike and ended just putting them on externally and wasnt happy with it at all. I also wouldnt pay 800 dollars either. I bet you could pay less for bars with controls on and wired internally shipped to your door.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Appreciate the feedback. Sounds like I'd probably be better served doing it internally, it'll bug me otherwise I think.

After calling around a lot of places, my best quote is $176 slapping the bars on or $776 internally wired and ready to go.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Appreciate the feedback. Sounds like I'd probably be better served doing it internally, it'll bug me otherwise I think.

After calling around a lot of places, my best quote is $176 slapping the bars on or $776 internally wired and ready to go.
I'm pretty happy with my 10" monkey bars, but MAN that $776 quote is still crazy high to me. What city/state are you in?

·
Registered
45 Posts
My dealer just quoted me $467 because 10" monkey bars do not need new cables. Sounds to me like your dealer was including cables, and even then it's a little high.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Trust me! Do it yourself it's not all that hard to do and you really get to know your ride better. I pulled my entire stock sleeve through mine and posted the job. It looks great and you feel better about the whole thing. Man if ya lived close I'll take your Money! on second thought I'd help you just for the friendship. Spend the money on something else bro!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I live in the Miami area. I was clear to every place that I do NOT need any wiring kits at all, that the 10" requires none on the new models, our wiring and cables are long enough.

Still got those quotes :mad:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Paul Yaffe's shop and Woodstock, IL HD both told me 9 hours to put the Monkey bars on my SERGU with the hydraulic clutch.
The 10" bars look great but I'm worried they will be too short and not make much of a difference. My SERGU has bars that have an 8" rise and 2 more does not seem enough for me. I have 12" DS apes on my RK and they work great. I also do not want them too tall that my arms are over my shoulders. That does not work for me.
Tek74, How tall are you?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Tek74, How tall are you?
I'm 6ft/ 34" inseam. The 10" Monkey bars raised my hands up about 2-3" higher than the stock bars. For me the 10" bars work, but the 12" bars would have been perfect. I went back and forth on the two heights for a while, and decided on the 10" bars because I ride in the cold Colorado winter's, and I wanted my hands to maintain some level of protection from the elements. If this is not an issue for you, and you are close to my height, I would definately recommend the 12" bars.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
If your talking about the Paul Yaffe bars (and other bars are like this too, I know my Wild1 501s are like this). I don't believe you have the option to run them externally. There's no dimple below the switches to allow the wires to come out from under the housings. There is only the hole that routes the wires inside.

So if your dealer is saying you can do it internal and/or external he might not know what he's talking about.

Ricky

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
If your talking about the Paul Yaffe bars (and other bars are like this too, I know my Wild1 501s are like this). I don't believe you have the option to run them externally. There's no dimple below the switches to allow the wires to come out from under the housings. There is only the hole that routes the wires inside.

So if your dealer is saying you can do it internal and/or external he might not know what he's talking about.

Ricky
Yaffe dose make two different types the cheap monkey bars are designed so you can't run wires inside. But as I posted prior it's worth doing it right and doing it yourself.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts