Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I got home today and was pulling bike into garage I noticed a disturbing knocking in the engine. Closest thing I can relate it to is a rod knock you'd hear in a SBC with a bad rod bearing.

Pretty sure I'm done riding for a while but wanted to get thoughts. I will go make and post a video for review.

·
Registered
809 Posts
It is hard to hear in the video, but i will throw a couple thing out to check. If it is on the right side and sounds like two pieces of wood knocking it could be reversion coming out the throttle body. On the primary side i would have a look at the compensator and the torque of the nut/bolt.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is on the right side and does sound like a wood on wood sound. I've never heard it before today. What do I do to resolve it??

·
Registered
809 Posts
It is on the right side and does sound like a wood on wood sound. I've never heard it before today. What do I do to resolve it??
If it is reversion you can hear it coming out of your throttle body. There isn't much you can do about unless you want to spend money on different cams and exhaust to test. A stock style air cleaner will quiet it down some. My 107" bike with and open a/c and the cams i run are very noisey also but i have gotten used to it.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Any decel poppin?, Crisp moist night air change anything, like exhaust note, your bike sounds nice, not the stock cams

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No decel pop at all and it seems to still run decent. I went out this morning and started it up and I have no knock but it is still noisy (chattery).

I spoke with Frank at Drago's for a good hour last night to discuss rebuild options and based on our conversation I'm pretty certain I have a bad lifter as the bike has gotten progressively louder over the past few months and the knock only appears when it's up to temp.

I'm going to pull the lifters today and hopefully find them to be the culprit. It'll buy mea few more months before I "have" to do a rebuild but when that time comes Frank has my business.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I threw some Lucas oil treatment in with the engine oil and I thought for a minute I was riding a gold wing. The engine purrs quiet which eliminates the compensation sprocket as the culprit. So I'm convinced the lifters are the problem. Will be contacting Drago's tomorrow for some new ones. Hope to be up and operating by mid week.

·
Registered
8,821 Posts
Well I threw some Lucas oil treatment in with the engine oil and I thought for a minute I was riding a gold wing. The engine purrs quiet which eliminates the compensation sprocket as the culprit. So I'm convinced the lifters are the problem. Will be contacting Drago's tomorrow for some new ones. Hope to be up and operating by mid week.
I use a quart of Lucas in every oil change. Many bikes , many engine designs, many miles.

·
Registered
217 Posts
It sounds just like the sound that have came From my motor 3 times.
The first time HD changed the cams and lifters, then he second time they found a bad flywheel the next time after 10,000 miles the noise came again and they found the flywheel had gone bad again. Read the thread back in the shop.
Is the ticking more noticeable at 20 mph?

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is the ticking more noticeable at 20 mph?

The ticking has been standard on this 110 since day 1. What concerned me was a specific knock that just recently started which I attribute to the lifters not pumping up as they should. I've got a set of S&S premium lifters on the way from Drago's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts