Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had my 2012 RGU for about seven months or so and love the hell out of it. However, about a month ago I started going numb in my fingers on just my right hand. If I just pull off the throttle for a second it gets the blood flowing again and all is well for a few minutes and then repeat. This is a recent developement and that is why it is confusing me. My dyna never did it, my softail never did it, my RGU just randomly started to do it. Let me add that the bars are stock....I know, I know and when the budget allows I'd like 12" apes. But for now this is what I got. Anybody have any ideas on this? Anyone else experience this? Did changing bars help?

·
Shark of the Month October 13
7,694 Posts
I have the same issue and also only with my right hand. I try not to, but I think I grip harder with my throttle hand and that's what causes it. My solution is I always keep the cruise control active and just click it on when I feel my throttle hand going numb. About 15 seconds off the grip and my hand comes back to normal. If I'm on a highway, I of course use the cruise a lot of the time. I also move both hands in a bit and grip the naked bars just to give my hands a different circumference to grip. I have Sinister's "Hot Rod" bars on my bike so there's plenty of area to grip that's bare bar.

Hopefully you have cruise and this will help you.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I have stock bars on my RGU as well and my hand goes numb but I use the cruise trick as well. Oddly I can ride with the cruise on and grip the left side for hours and my left hand doesn't go numb so I doubt it's the bars by themselves.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I had that problem on my dyna,but only in the cold.Happened in gloves too.heating the gloves seemed to help.

Haven't had it happen on the RGU ,but it hasn't been below 40 yet.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Try a throttle boss. I got mine at Hot leathers for about 6 bucks. If your not familiar with them, they attach to throttle and allow you to use the palm of your hand to roll on throttle. You can stretch your fingers out over the brake and still control throttle. I love mine! When i get new grips, they will have integrated Throttle boss. Little more flashy than plastic universal.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I had the same problem, initially on my Road King.The numbness was affecting both hands, little fingers and ring fingers. A visit to the chiropractor showed I had a compressed disc that was aggravated by reaching for the stock bars. I bought some 14" apes and that took care of the problem.When I purchased my Glide the numbness reappeared. I purchased and installed apes and the problem has been corrected . Good luck in correcting yours.

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Try a throttle boss. I got mine at Hot leathers for about 6 bucks. If your not familiar with them, they attach to throttle and allow you to use the palm of your hand to roll on throttle. You can stretch your fingers out over the brake and still control throttle. I love mine! When i get new grips, they will have integrated Throttle boss. Little more flashy than plastic universal.
Definitely helps

I have the same issue and also only with my right hand. I try not to, but I think I grip harder with my throttle hand and that's what causes it. My solution is I always keep the cruise control active and just click it on when I feel my throttle hand going numb. About 15 seconds off the grip and my hand comes back to normal. If I'm on a highway, I of course use the cruise a lot of the time. I also move both hands in a bit and grip the naked bars just to give my hands a different circumference to grip. I have Sinister's "Hot Rod" bars on my bike so there's plenty of area to grip that's bare bar.

Hopefully you have cruise and this will help you.
very goods point. And oh yeah those stock bars suck. Changing those will definitely help but not 100% cure. Cruise works miracles if you have it.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Replacing the stock bars helped me out a lot, went with the heritage style bars. But, I still get some numbness now and then. I've figured out that my one pair of riding gloves with the gel palm pads was contributing... They were putting just enough pressure in the wrong spot. Replaced those with another brand/style and that helped.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Same experience here. I used a plastic universal one for a year or so. I think Throttle Rocker was the one I used. Liked it so much I started going with grips that have an integrated throttle boss/rocker thing on them. I've had it on a set of Kury Iso-Grips, right now I'm using Avon Air Cushion grips with one built in.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
My hands go numb pretty quick when I'm wearing heavier cold weather gloves but with my lighter summer gloves not as quick. I too use the cruise every chance I get and I wear one of those bands on my forearm because of the tennis elbow that I my job has given me, it seems to help as well. Bars don't make much difference for me.

·
Registered
853 Posts
See my thread about aligning my bike......That and new bars and I'm in LOVE!!!
Before, I had the pinch, the sting, and numbness.....Now I got a new (same old) bike that performs and rides like "An American Legend".......

·
Registered
116 Posts
I had the same issue and I changed to Performance Machine grips and adjusted the bars a smidge and no more issues for me.....

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well looks like I'll have to put a priority on new bars sooner than I thought. Hope it helps. Otherwise off to the chiropractor maybe. Hahaha.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Install a integrated throttle boss and adjust your levers. I ride stock bars and had the same issue rolled the brake and clutch blades up and it made a huge difference. I also like the boss blade levers they help with grip pressure.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I went from the stock bars to heritage style bars. Both of my hands would go numb and I'd get a horrible shoulder pinch. I see my chiropractor regularly, so that wasn't the problem. I ride with Kury Iso grips w/throttle boss.

I pushed the bars both ways and could never find the sweet spot where I would solve both numbness and the shoulder pinch. I had to live with one or the other or both.

I finally pulled the trigger and bought new bars from BR Customs. Problem was solved on both issues right away. I hate spending additional money on bars, but it is worth every penny considering I sit more comfortably on the bike and have zero pain.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned carpal tunnel. Most people are right handed and most will have at least some long term cumulative damage causing periodic inflammation of the nerves and tendons in the carpal tunnel.

One key to carpal tunnel issues is wrist angle. Keeping the wrists as straight as possible, both side to side and up/down will reduce inflammation and discomfort.
Research some bars that will place your wrists at a more natural angle, either further forward or further back, depends on the person.

Reducing your grip force will also reduce discomfort.

Get rid of those goofy-ass'd stock grips. How anyone rides with those pos things is beyond me. Larger diameter grips with some padding/cushion will help.

By all means use the cruise control, its there for a reason.

No, I'm not a doctor, therapist or anything like that, but I do work in an industry that has a lot of carpal tunnel problems. Ways to reduce the chances of problems
have been beat into our heads for years.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned carpal tunnel. Most people are right handed and most will have at least some long term cumulative damage causing periodic inflammation of the nerves and tendons in the carpal tunnel.
That's something I thought of because it is something that comes up periodically in my trade also. I'll probably start with bars and move on from there. I don't experience any pain or discomfort doing anything else, at work or play so I'm hoping carpal tunnel isn't a serious consideration in my case.

·
Registered
131 Posts
You may want to change out your bars. Just earlier today I was out with a budy thats running 16" apes. I just recently installed a new exhaust and wanted to hear it from another bike so I had him drive my bike on the way home which was about a 2 mile ride. Within that 2 miles ride my right hand got numb which has never happened to me on my bike. I'm running the 10" Yaffe OEM Monkey Bars which are just slightly under shoulder height on me.

Mac

1 - 20 of 34 Posts