Road Glide banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright messing around with the bike last night trying to install the gas tank 2" lift and regardless to say it did not work, but that is a different story. In attempting the mod I took the seat off and the threaded insert that is in the rear fender for the seat bolt fell out. I managed to get it back in place without removing the wheel, but it will not stay in place, so I have it held with a zip tie for right now. Is there a c-clip or something that is supposed to go on it to hold it? Or how is it supposed to stay in place? Maybe I will try to have it fixed when I get my clutch recall done this weekend. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Yes, there is a c-clip that holds the not on place. No need to remove the wheel to get up there. Put a jack under the bike, remove the bottom shock bolts, then jack the bike up. You'll have enough room to get your hands up there.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, there is a c-clip that holds the not on place. No need to remove the wheel to get up there. Put a jack under the bike, remove the bottom shock bolts, then jack the bike up. You'll have enough room to get your hands up there.
Awesome. Thanks for the reply mailman.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I have a different issue. I have a fender overlay and my c-clip essentially sits between my real fender and the overlay fender. The c-clip must have fell out, so my solution was to insert a bolt from the bottom and put a jam nut on top to hold it in place. So now I have a stud sticking upwards and use an acorn nut to fasten my seat.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Actually, tlottman, you don't even have to unbolt the shocks (or anything else either) to install the seat nut. You will need the clip to attach it however. To install easily just run a long ziptie with a big enough head so it doesn't go right through or a piece of wire with a knot in it (same effect) and then feed it up and around the tire and into the hole. Then you pull this from the top and use it to firmly hold the nut against the underside of the fender while you put the clip on to secure it. Then, remove the wire or tie back out the way it went in. Voila! Piece of cake! Hope this helps. Smitty.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, tlottman, you don't even have to unbolt the shocks (or anything else either) to install the seat nut. You will need the clip to attach it however. To install easily just run a long ziptie with a big enough head so it doesn't go right through or a piece of wire with a knot in it (same effect) and then feed it up and around the tire and into the hole. Then you pull this from the top and use it to firmly hold the nut against the underside of the fender while you put the clip on to secure it. Then, remove the wire or tie back out the way it went in. Voila! Piece of cake! Hope this helps. Smitty.
That is exactly what I did Smitty. Actually hooked two zipties together since I didn't have one long enough and then fed them through and tied a piece of shot line to it with the seat nut attached. Worked good. Just need to see if I can find the clip anywhere or have the dealership replace it when I get my bike in the shop Saturday for the clutch recall. Thanks for the input.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.