Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '11 Road Glide and after reading many of your posts on here, I decided to switch out my handlebars on my own. I relied heavily on a lot of the threads here and got everything off and then back. Everything went well. Or, so I thought.

I started up the bike and wanted to take a test drive with the new handlebars. I quickly found that the throttle was non-responsibe. I could roll it on, but the engine did not rev.

Now, I have everything off again and I can't diagnose the problem. I've taken everything off and re-assembled it all, but I can't see what the is causing this. My initial concern was the electronic throttle control cable inside the handlebars, but that wiring harness looks fine. The green connector seems loose, but I checked it over and over again and got it tightened and it seems to be fine.

Does anyone have any ideas about what is going on? thanks

·
Registered
761 Posts
I suppose you've checked the connection inside the fairing as well? I think there could have been a couple connections in the fairing that may have been easily crossed if you weren't paying attention. The other thing is you could have inadvertently pulled something loose. Also, you did push the grip all the way back on so it engaged with the TBW sensor, correct?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, the connections inside the fairing confuse me. The harness has two plugs on the fairing side, but the smaller of the two doesn't seem to connect anywhere. Did I miss that.

Otherwise, I can roll the throttle. It feels stock, as it rolls forward and back. And I'm triple checking all of the other connections to see if I pulled something else loose.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just read in another thread that a dead throttle might also mean limp mode. In that case, I must have something hooked up wrong...right? Or do I need to "reset" the computer now that I've had everything disconnected?

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
CHECK FOR DTC CODES ! If the bike is in limp home mode then there is a code stored in the computer , if there is a code clear it and try the throttle again . There is a sticky at the top of this section that will tell you how to check for codes and how to clear the codes .

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know what is going on. Now, I've lost the speedo, tach, run and start buttons, turn signals and horn.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Do you have a service manual?

Sent from my WP7 using Board Express

·
Registered
8,831 Posts
When I did my handle bar install I had same problem. I knew exactly what was causing the problem because of the trouble I had with the little green connector in the handle bar. Yes it was the little green connector in the handle bar that came apart just a little.
Double check all your connections and try to start as soon as you get your handle bar controls & ignition back on.

·
Registered
8,831 Posts
Actually, the connections inside the fairing confuse me. The harness has two plugs on the fairing side, but the smaller of the two doesn't seem to connect anywhere. Did I miss that.

Otherwise, I can roll the throttle. It feels stock, as it rolls forward and back. And I'm triple checking all of the other connections to see if I pulled something else loose.
The little black wire following the TBW wire is for heated grips. That wire does not plug in anywhere if you don't have Heated grips.

·
Registered
8,831 Posts
I don't know what is going on. Now, I've lost the speedo, tach, run and start buttons, turn signals and horn.
Check your 40 amp fuse located Under left side cover. Sounds like you may have a bare wire shorting some where.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You were right about the little green connecter. I broke one of the plastic pieces that hold the two together and it screwed everything up. I ended up replacing it and it works fine now.

Now the only issue is the turn signals and brake lights. What is the barb wire you were talking about with 40amp fuse?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts