Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all I am looking for some ideas. I have a 13 rg custom and recently put on santee fred kodlin bonanza II bars. Have them adjusted to where I am comfortable. Problem is that my right hand goes numb. Am not gripping too hard and have tried padded fingerless gloves and still goes numb.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Hey all I am looking for some ideas. I have a 13 rg custom and recently put on santee fred kodlin bonanza II bars. Have them adjusted to where I am comfortable. Problem is that my right hand goes numb. Am not gripping too hard and have tried padded fingerless gloves and still goes numb.
Sounds like Carpel Tunnel. Make sure the gloves are loose, not tight, around the wrist. Hold your hand so that it drops down from your arm slightly, not up.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, I do not play one on TV, and I have not stayed at a Holiday Inn in a real long time...

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Don't know how high the handlebars are but that is a common problem when your hands are shoulder height or above. You just don't get enough blood circulation to your hands. Just set the cruise and lower your hand for awhile.

·
Super Moderator
12,349 Posts
Have you tried a "Cramp Buster" throttle add on? That's what I use, helps a whole lot.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I get this on all my bikes regardless of bar height. Hit the cruise control, shake your hand out and return to the grip. You could try the Kury ISO grips. It might work, might now as they have a squishy rubber between the bars and grip which is meant to soak up the excess vibration. I love my PM grips so I won't switch to these.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Cramp busters work for some, I had an issue with three different crapm busters the raised lip made my hand numb in a different area and i was always adjusting it. I ended up going with avon air cusions. The grip has a cramp buster built in with no addition lip toward the exterior of the grip. With the avons your hand is in contact with 30% of the grip (STILL SAFE) and really allows good position. Good Luck

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I havent heard of the cramp buster but will research it. The bars keep my hands below shoulder level. Will try and attach a pic of bars on the bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
One thing you want to watch out for is you neck, hand position will change your neck position. Nerves get pinched from helmet and shoulder fatigue. A good test is move your head side to side and let your arm down to your side, you should feel is relax. Shake your arm and rotate your wrist if you feel relief from that its shoulder. These were tips from my chiropractor.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Throttle rocker is another name for a cramp buster. I used on on my softail with the 16" apes I had. It worked well.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Mine goes numb too and have to shake it out every so often. Hopefully 12" apes will cure my problem.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Uh?

It's July, do you really need gloves? Tight or otherwise.
Do you have cruise control? If not, maybe a throttle lock so you can rest that hand for a minute or two.
Or maybe more comfortable grips. Something with a little more padding.

HSP

·
Registered
593 Posts
Numb hands

To me the grips look like they are pointing back too much. This is putting your wrist in an akward position. Instead of being in line with your forearms it looks like they would have to be bent outwards.

·
Registered
690 Posts
My experience with bars that are either higher or lower than my shoulders is not the issue. If the wrist angle isn't right, I'm hurting and tingling. at the first sign of that its time to drop the arm and relax.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I use a throttle rocker. I use cruise control on the highway but throttle rocker helps in all the other situations. Also I don't need to use the cruise as much with the rocker.

·
Registered
367 Posts
i just put avon grips on. way better then stock. to each is own, but on long rides i normally am only using one hand and resting the other. thats what cruise control is for.
besides the free hand can rub her calfs and then i get a shoulder rub

·
Registered
574 Posts
Have someone take a picture from the side and above your hands in riding position. You may find your wrists are bending in a way that is pinching your nerves. Those bars look cool, but may not work for your wrist. Taking a picture of the bars is one part of the equation. You need to see how they fit you and a photo in the riding position may help. All the variations in our physique make bars great for some, and not for the rest of us.

Did you have the same problem with other bars on that bike? If not, that may be your problem. Switch out the bars (I'm sure that is not what you want to hear):(

·
Registered
83 Posts
Have you tried a "Cramp Buster" throttle add on? That's what I use, helps a whole lot.
That reminds me that when I was out on Saturday, my left hand kept cramping!

I know people around me were probably wondering what the heck I was doing when I was riding along trying all kinds of arm/hand positions on my legs that would stretch the hand muscles.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts