Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The first gear throttle lag on my 2012 FLTRX is driving me crazy. While searching for solutions, i've read that the V&H Throttlepak does a great job of eliminating this issue. I've also read that this can be addressed using a Power Vision tuner. Here is my dilemma. I already own the PV and though I've read that it can correct the lag, I've been unable to find exactly what needs to be done. I'll go ahead and buy the Throttlepak if I have to, but I'd hate to spend the money only to find out that I could have just used the PV in the first place. And, lastly, if I do end up with a TP, will there be any issues running it along with the PV?

TIA.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have limited insight on this but was actually wondering the exact same thing before I ordered my PV. When I talked with Brian at Fuel Moto, he advised that the map they would include would already have the throttle adjustment to a 1:1 ratio.

However, if you are still having the same issue, I'm now wondering if the throttlepak wouldn't make it even better. Curious what you find out.

Also, I just got my PV today so I haven't hooked it up yet to see if there is a difference.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
1,775 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Pretty sure auto tune won't correct throttle lag in throttle-by-wire bikes.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
You can run the autotune on the PV to tune out issues. If your PV doesn't have autotune you can get a firmware update to add it. No reason to buy another tuner......:D You can go to Powercommander website to get a video for autotune....http://www.powercommander.com/downloads/support-released/power%20vision/manuals/pvautotune.01.pdf

The V & H ThrottlePak, which works wonderfully by the way, is not a tuner. It addresses the opening of the fuel injection "butterfly" at a much faster rate of speed on TBW bikes, and that only. It does one thing, and it does it very, very well indeed.

·
Registered
483 Posts
If any other tuner will then autotune will also.
Autotune only makes adjustments to the VE table, not the butterfly speed. And not all tuners are capable of adjusting throttle speed.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The V & H ThrottlePak, which works wonderfully by the way, is not a tuner. It addresses the opening of the fuel injection "butterfly" at a much faster rate of speed on TBW bikes, and that only. It does one thing, and it does it very, very well indeed.
Torquey, I'm assuming that because it connects at the throttlebody and not the diagnostics port there won't be a problem running it along with the Power Vision?

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Torquey, I'm assuming that because it connects at the throttlebody and not the diagnostics port there won't be a problem running it along with the Power Vision?
I have heard it said that with the PV, one does not need the TP, but I don't know first hand. Twice before, I contacted Vance & Hines about their Hi-Output slip ons and other topics, and TWICE by 2 DIFFERENT employees, I was told not to use them due to torque loss on a stock 103 engine. I went with the Monster Rounds. In my experience, the folks there are VERY honest. The description says "compatible with any tuner". Give them a call.

In the mean time, watch the video:

http://www.youtube.com/v/AM-tjiMAz04?autoplay=1&rel=0&enablejsapi=1&playerapiid=ytplayer

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
The Throttle Pack is compatible w/ tuners. I do NOT have a PV, but have heard that you can get the lag out with it.
For me- I did put on the Throttle Pack and it got rid of that annoying lag. I got mine from Eastern Performance for $128 including shipping

·
Registered
62 Posts
So nobody has a TP and PV hooked up at same time? Im wondering about this also!!

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I spoke with Vance and Hines, Fuel Moto and Dino Jet and basically asked "Can you use the Throttle Pak along with the Power Vision when trying to eliminate the lag?". Here is the Cliff Notes version of the responses.

V and H said they weren't sure and that I should contact DJ and or FM. They were very willing to help though and were interested in what I might be able to find out.

Dino Jet said "Maybe, but why would you want to when you can use the PV" and kindly offered to email a map for me to try.

Fuel Moto said absolutely not. There WILL be a conflict between the PV and TP and I should work on the "blade control" settings with PV, though I have not done so yet. I'll post here again after I work with it a bit.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
my buddy just got his pv and changed his throttle blade settings and he said his lag is all gone, I didn't have any real issues once I loaded the map from FM, he couldn't get his map to email me but once he does I will post up his changed settings.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Here's the PV table for throttle blade position vs throttle grip position.
You can adjust it any way you choose.
Throttle blade control is only active up to 2500rpm.
Limiting throttle opening can be very advantageous to driveability, and can actually produce more torque at low rpms.
Believe it or not, WFO is not neccessarily the right answer all the time.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Yep. Those numbers are almost identical to the ones in my Fuelmoto supplied map and I have no throttle lag.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here's the PV table for throttle blade position vs throttle grip position.
You can adjust it any way you choose.
Throttle blade control is only active up to 2500rpm.
Limiting throttle opening can be very advantageous to driveability, and can actually produce more torque at low rpms.
Believe it or not, WFO is not neccessarily the right answer all the time.

Thanks for posting the numbers! I'll compare these to my current map and go from there. I'm also planning to install gutted stock head pipes this weekend so I'll need to change things anyhow. I'll be asking Fuel Moto for a map as well.

·
Banned
144 Posts
Thanks for posting the numbers! I'll compare these to my current map and go from there. I'm also planning to install gutted stock head pipes this weekend so I'll need to change things anyhow. I'll be asking Fuel Moto for a map as well.
I would bet you are going to find the source of you 'lag' is coming from that potato, often referred to as a catalytic converter stuffed in the collector of the stock head pipe... I know I did.

I have been told from a tuner manufacture that on the early TBW bikes there is a lag and the throttle pack was a great thing... On later models the ration is more 1:1 and the only thing the throttle pack will do is lighten your wallet. But I do not know that for a fact... However I did pull the air cleaner and look at it and I see no lag what so ever.

I have talked a lot about what a difference just the removal of the cat made, no tuner, no air cleaner, no mufflers it does not seem like a very interesting topic though... Maybe it's too easy??? lol Let us know how she runs when that potato is removed!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I would bet you are going to find the source of you 'lag' is coming from that potato, often referred to as a catalytic converter stuffed in the collector of the stock head pipe... I know I did.

I have been told from a tuner manufacture that on the early TBW bikes there is a lag and the throttle pack was a great thing... On later models the ration is more 1:1 and the only thing the throttle pack will do is lighten your wallet. But I do not know that for a fact... However I did pull the air cleaner and look at it and I see no lag what so ever.

I have talked a lot about what a difference just the removal of the cat made, no tuner, no air cleaner, no mufflers it does not seem like a very interesting topic though... Maybe it's too easy??? lol Let us know how she runs when that potato is removed!

Forgetting all other causes of lag for a moment, the ThrottlePak made such a huge difference in the response of my 2013 FLTRX that for a little while at first I actually had to get used to it.

Removal of a cat would improve performance the way many other mods do, such as changing the intake. However, the "butterfly" of the EFI responds slowly electronically and the ThrottlePak speeds that up dramatically.

http://www.youtube.com/v/AM-tjiMAz04?autoplay=1&rel=0&enablejsapi=1&playerapiid=ytplayer

1 - 20 of 27 Posts