Road Glide banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, need some tech savvy guru help..... I have a (Jenson HD1BT525 head unit with J&M Amp and speakers) in my 2011 SG. On my last ride I had no control or response from my thumb controls nor the head unit controls for adjusting volume or channels.

I had just ordered a new head unit (Aquotic AV AQ-MP-5UBT-HS) to install on my 08 RG, so I changed out the head unit thinking there was an issue with it. Upon initial install, I initially had operational control via the thumb switches but then the same issue occurred where I couldn't control anything via the thumb switches.

When I raise or lower the channel/mode switch, the volume control shows on the face of the deck but can't raise nor lower. I was able to raise the volume via the head unit control but as soon as I try adjusting via the thumb switch the volume level would decline incrementally from XX volume level to 0 and then no control.

Obviously it's not the head unit, as the same issue occurred with both installed and newly installed units, so do I possible have a short in the wiring somewhere within the handle bars or are my thumb switches the issue?

*************** UPDATE 3-13-2018***************

Out tinkering with the bike radio trying to figure out this issue as I didn't want to start "unbundling wiring harnesses", got to thinking that if it were to be a short it would have given indictors (cutting in & out or on & off). I pulled apart the thumb control housings and there was no chaffing to indicate a short nor at the bottom of the bars where the wires come out into the fairing. I began playing with the volume switch and started to get intermittent control, so bottom line I have a thumb switch that after 7 years is going out.

Hope this is informative for anyone in the future who experiences similar issue.

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Could be either. Start by unbundling the wires under the fairing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts