Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Currently researching my Stage 1 and beyond setup (2013 HD Road Glide Ultra). I'm planning on going the route of -

Big Sucker for intake
Jackpot headers and Rinehart 4" mufflers
Other mods to come later...

Question -
Is the above configuration - air and exhaust - within the tables of the T-Max for loading? Or will I have to pick something close / similar to it?

Have others who use the T-Max been able to eliminate the "ping" associated with the Harley "103" engine?
Has the T-Max effected MPG drastically when in use for others?

I'm sure I'll have other questions as I research this configuration, but was looking for some insight to my build.

-paul

·
Registered
67 Posts
You should be able to Retard the Timing on the thundermax. Find out what RPM it is pinging at and retard the Timing in the setting. Mine did it at like 3800-6000K.

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
You would have to compare it to the base maps and choose the base map that is close to your build. There are some base maps that are close to what your mods are going to be. Because there is so many build configurations it is impossible to have a base map for every build.
Retarding the timing is easy to do to get the ping out if you have any. You can adjust the timing using the "Timing vs TPS" feature or by using the "Timing vs Engine Speed" feature, I use the Timing vs Engine Speed to do most of my timing adjustments.
If the pinging only happen after the bike get hot then you can use the "Timing vs Engine Temp feature, this will adjust the timing when the bikes engine temps get too high.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Depending if your headers are 2-1-2 or true duals all you need to do is pick the starting map with the proper header. The difference between the mufflers and the intakes are well within the TM's range to auto tune itself. Alternately if you buy the the TM from Drago or Fuel Moto they will supply you with proper starting map.

I had some pinging with mine at full throttle between about 3500 to 5000 rpm in 3rd and 4th gears. I just added some fuel in the appropriate places on the proper maps and it went away.

As far as fuel mileage, I currently get high 30s around town and low to mid 40s on the highway with the cruise set.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Not Impressed

ThunderMax is NOT for the rookie! It gives Plug and Play a whole new meaning! Plug in and constantly play with the settings! Not as simple as they promote! Not saying it is a bad tuner, just saying it is not as user friendly as promoted.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I agree too. I was told all I have to do is ride and it will tune while I ride. Mine pinged like nobody's business. I had no help from where I bought it from or tmax. Two places that will NEVER get any of my money again. I gave up and had my 124 tuned with tts and gained 20hp and 23TQ over the tmax.

You can't log a tune and it doesn't use knock control. How the hell are you going to find where the ping started? Oh yeah with your ears and tape on the handle bar/throttle. I spent several hours trying to tune mine. I would ride and when I heard pinging I would pull over and adjust the timing in the areas where I heard ping with very little success.

There are much better options out there IMO.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Thundermax

I found it very easy to use here are a few simple operations you can see basic settings like rev limit idle and so on and a easy way to adjust the air fuel ratio across the band

Attachments

·
Registered
339 Posts
I agree too. I was told all I have to do is ride and it will tune while I ride. Mine pinged like nobody's business. I had no help from where I bought it from or tmax. Two places that will NEVER get any of my money again. I gave up and had my 124 tuned with tts and gained 20hp and 23TQ over the tmax.

You can't log a tune and it doesn't use knock control. How the hell are you going to find where the ping started? Oh yeah with your ears and tape on the handle bar/throttle. I spent several hours trying to tune mine. I would ride and when I heard pinging I would pull over and adjust the timing in the areas where I heard ping with very little success.

There are much better options out there IMO.
You are riding he bike you should know where the ping starts and ends at what rpm Pinging-How to Adjust Timing To Remove Pinging

http://www.thunder-max.com/TechDocs/TimingVsEngineTemp.pdf

Pinging-How to Fine Tune for Pinging

http://www.thunder-max.com/techdocs/TimingVsRpm.pdf

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Hello All,

Currently researching my Stage 1 and beyond setup (2013 HD Road Glide Ultra). I'm planning on going the route of -

Big Sucker for intake
Jackpot headers and Rinehart 4" mufflers
Other mods to come later...

Question -
Is the above configuration - air and exhaust - within the tables of the T-Max for loading? Or will I have to pick something close / similar to it?

Have others who use the T-Max been able to eliminate the "ping" associated with the Harley "103" engine?
Has the T-Max effected MPG drastically when in use for others?

I'm sure I'll have other questions as I research this configuration, but was looking for some insight to my build.

-paul
Neither one of my 103s ping, my 117 doesn't ping either. 1 of the 103s and the 117 have been to the 4 corners. None have thundermax.

Why would you want to replace the perfectly good Harley / Delphi ECM, with something that doesn't have automatic knock control? There are many better options out there...
less$$ too...

·
Registered
830 Posts
Neither one of my 103s ping, my 117 doesn't ping either. 1 of the 103s and the 117 have been to the 4 corners. None have thundermax.

Why would you want to replace the perfectly good Harley / Delphi ECM, with something that doesn't have automatic knock control? There are many better options out there...
less$$ too...
My stage 2 with a Thunder Max doesn't ping either. What does that prove? Plenty of dyno'd bikes with stock ECM out there that do ping. All depends how good the the tune was. The knock control is not all powerful. It cannot overcome a bad tune.

Why do so many folks who don't have a Thunder Max seem to hate / fear them? It kind of reminds me of discussing running a car tire on my bike...

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
2 words......Power Vision.

Datalogs without a PC, allows you to record while riding and then go back later and look at the data either on the unit itself or on a PC so you can see exactly what rpms and throttle positions are causing the problem WITHOUT all the guess work of tape markings on the throttle grip.
I own a TTS, complete with remote LCD monitor, for my bike and have used it extensively. As soon as the Power Vision came out, the TTS went on the shelf and the Power Vision has been on the bike ever since. Very easy to use and is always there showing you what's going on if you choose to use it that way.

The TTS is a very capable and useable system, but it has some serious limitations for the DIY wanting to do their own tuning. The Thundermax is also very good, but again has some serious limitations.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
My stage 2 with a Thunder Max doesn't ping either. What does that prove? Plenty of dyno'd bikes with stock ECM out there that do ping. All depends how good the the tune was. The knock control is not all powerful. It cannot overcome a bad tune.

Why do so many folks who don't have a Thunder Max seem to hate / fear them? It kind of reminds me of discussing running a car tire on my bike...
I agree, the knock control cannot overcome a bad tune

Not hatin' not scared... What makes you think I don't know anything about thundermax, because I'm not running one?

'Just trying to help a newb not get caught up in marketing hype.

'Not trying to get in a "The components I chose are better than the components you chose" pissin' match, either... I didn't say what I was running, just that there are (IMHO) more reliable, easier to use, less expensive, better Customer Service, options out there.

JMHO, your results may vary...

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
This day and age people look for the easy way out or the quick fix. Does the tmax work? Yes it doesn't but not as good as people think. Nothing beats a dyno tune period.. Now take that tmax to the dyno and have them run a few pulls and then have them tune it and you will be surprised on the out come. Bottom line!

I took mine and I was down 20hp/23tq. That's huge. It ran hot and pinged like a SOB.

Bottom line "ignorance is bliss" what you don't know won't hurt you.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I'm sorry I sit here and I read some of this and I have to chime in. I try very hard to stay of this But.......

We tune,
TTS
Tmax
Power Vision
Power Commander
SE tuner
Direct link - Not yet need the training have all the equipment.
All of them can be tuned 100%

The EFI tuner is only as good as the guy or gal using.
Base maps only get you so far................

We see this all the time. Shops only tune with this or that everything else is a crap. That in my world is a cop out!!!!!!

Take the time learn the products go to the classes these companies over. All these tuners work. (This comment is for shops)

Also all these EFI tuners.....Offer a basic auto tune feature in them.
And I am willing to put my money where my mouth is and they use the Vtune or Basic Tune or Smart tune or Autotune when they are on the dyno.
So to say auto tunes don't work that's BS. All of them offer this feature.

Every tuner we sell all most 99% of the time customer will ask for a map for what they have done on their bikes. Its is almost impossible to give a map for every combo. And that's where the issues start. Trying to give them something close to get customer going until he or she will tune the bike. And then they bring the bike to a shop that does not know how to use the tuner they have then bash it sell them something else then tell the customer its crap. Well now you have a pissed off customer.

I always get asked which tuner you like the best. I tell customer buy the tuner your shop knows how to use. Will put a base map in it. Then the shop you take it to can tune from it.

One thing I see 50% of the time they wont take it in.

Sorry for the rant just my 2 cent worth......:D

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
The problem is this tmax is advertised incorrectly by the shops that sell it (you) and by the company that makes it.

I was told by you and tmax just ride it. Shit I rode it to daytona at Biketoberfest and talked to tmax directly and was told the same thing. I did ride it only to find out it's not any better than the the tuner it replaced. To me it's just a waste if 800 bucks. Am I biased against tmax? Oh yes I am. Is it a waste of my hard earned money? Yes it is.

Now if I was told that this unit needs to be tuned just like every tuner on the market I would feel different.

Bottom line just like ANY tuner on the market it needs to be tuned by a professional to get the best results and that's how the tmax should be
sold not " just install and pick a map close to your mods and ride"

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
Same here. ^^ it has so many other features to tune it properly that is too advance for the average riders (me) to use to it proficiently and to the max of its capabilities. All i do is ride and press auto tune when advised. JMO.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Pat
Also when you asked me for a map I started clearly that I don't have a good map for you lc 124
Only map I had is for my 124"

The problem is this tmax is advertised incorrectly by the shops that sell it (you) and by the company that makes it.

I was told by you and tmax just ride it. Shit I rode it to daytona at Biketoberfest and talked to tmax directly and was told the same thing. I did ride it only to find out it's not any better than the the tuner it replaced. To me it's just a waste if 800 bucks. Am I biased against tmax? Oh yes I am. Is it a waste of my hard earned money? Yes it is.

Now if I was told that this unit needs to be tuned just like every tuner on the market I would feel different.

Bottom line just like ANY tuner on the market it needs to be tuned by a professional to get the best results and that's how the tmax should be
sold not " just install and pick a map close to your mods and ride"

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
With any of these tuners the owner/operator has to have a pretty decent understanding of what's going on to get anything but the most basic return on your investment.

It's unfortunate that so many riders don't even have the ability to install a set of mufflers, but if you're one of these people you really don't have any business attempting to tune your bike in any way shape or form. For a parts dealer to hand someone like this a box and say "just ride it" is a disservice to the entire industry.

·
Registered
339 Posts
T-Max

I agree with Dragos I have tried to learn the most I could about The T-Max I think the support is great but you have to read to learn I am using an advance tunning software it lets you build your own map you take a basic map and adjust from there here is a few pics of my T-Max I doubt yours is blue like this here for giggles I adjusted the timing retard 2 degrees across the rpm range just to show how easy it is done and after all is done I would still have to get t dynoed to get the max performance out of the bike but for just adding air and pipes not an engine build or many mods you can do it yourself and get rid of decel popping ect I have had other tuners from long ago when they only tricked the ecm into thinking adjustmants were made but now the have come a long way from those days

Attachments

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.