Road Glide banner

Thunder Max Problems

7K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  '05Train 
#1 ·
Beautiful day, so i try to go for a ride. As I back out hit the starter, the Stage II, 110 CVO, turns over, but won't catch. Second time it fires, but runs sluggish, no power, won't rev. Just idles, sounds to be missing slightly. I turn it off, and check codes as the engine light is on. ECM codes are EFI Module or Cooling fan related. BCM codes are about Low Tire pressure, front & rear.
I bought the bike without fully doing my homework, but did get ESP because I'd heard about 110 problems. I'm afraid the dealer is going to want me to buy a HD ECM, so they can diagnose the issue. I don't think I should buy them tools to diagnose my bike's problems...

Anybody else been through TM issues?

#2 ·
Have you tried contacting TMax to see if they can diagnose the MAP or see if the unit is bad? That's where I would start. You can't expect a dealer to diag it with an aftermarket ECM/tuner they may not be familiar with. Some are and may be able to help you but, the Digital Tech will not even recognize the TMax in the least so that is why you would need an HD ECM in the bike. A lot of electrical diag is easily done utilizing DT.

#3 ·
Record the codes and then clear them. Then cycle the ign switch on for 20 seconds, then off for 20 seconds. Repeat for two more complete cycles. 3 on/offs total. Then see if it will start.

If it won't the next most likely issue is the temp sensor, followed by fuel pressure. Post the codes up here, there might be something there to point at the issue.

If the battery is flat, charge it up first. Anytime the voltage drops much below 9 volts the ecm will reset, requiring the key on/off to reinitialize it. And a slow cranking scooter often causes a reset.

#5 ·
I don't think I should buy them tools to diagnose my bike's problems...
You're running a non-Harley part. They're under no obligation to warranty non-Harley parts.

As mentioned, record the codes, try resetting everything and try again. If that's no-go, call T-Max. And definitely make sure your battery's good. Electronics and low voltage don't play well together.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.