Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Roadglide on order. My Harley Dealer calls me today and tells me if I install a Thundermax that I already have ordered it will void my warranty on my bike. Has anyone heard this before???

Mike :mad:

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Doesn't surprise me at all. Technically anything you do to your engine or the engine control systems can void the warranty. Problem is, there's a ton of handshake warranties going on out there where the dealer warranties anything that they do, but will flat reject anything anyone else does, which is a bunch of BS.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Doesn't surprise me either. Even if you bought the item from the dealer, it can/will void the warranty. Now, other parts of the bike unaffected by this modification would still be covered, but any engine related items will be voided if they can be tied back (either in reality or fantasy) to the part that was installed.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Did you order it through the dealership? My dealership will install anything they sale from the catalogs and still maintain the warranty as long as everything was installed by them before taking initial possession of the bike.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No I did not order it through the dealer. But they didn't have a problem with my power commander I had on my heritage that I installed and ordered elsewhere. Oh well just pisses me off, that unit is so sweet.

·
Registered
343 Posts
No I did not order it through the dealer. But they didn't have a problem with my power commander I had on my heritage that I installed and ordered elsewhere. Oh well just pisses me off, that unit is so sweet.
You bet their sweet, your bike will run so much better with one too.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Could not tell where you are from, but I know first hand that Thunder Max is not allowed to be sold in California, and if you have gotten one one-way or another they can and will void your warranty. And the law will want to talk to you.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
They can't void the warranty on the whole bike. Only related items that can be effected by the Thunder Max.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Find a new Dealer

Find a dealer that says "You want to install what?, Okay, we will cover any item we install, and can beat or match any price you find." A warranty is only as good as the dealer. Some want to spend the day arguing the "Who Done It", some want to get you back on the road. I have met them both.

·
Registered
421 Posts
The nice thing about the thundermax is that you can put your stock ECM back on the bike if you have to take it in for service. There is no trace of it ever being on there.

·
Registered
185 Posts
my dealer also stated the samething related alot of things are not allowed here in california. but that doesnt stop anyone from performance upgrades i will tell ya though your bike will run a whole lot better with the thundermax. should you need to go for warranty service just change it out they will never know. i have 2 sets of bung plugs 18 mm and 11 mm if i need to take mine in all i will do is remove the thundermax and install the stock ECM 30 min at the most.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I would cancel the bike order. that is a sign the dealer will be difficult
to work with on all kinds of things, let them know you are fully aware of the
federal laws - Magnusson Moss act and that they (dealer) cannot void a warranty
for anything, they can only refuse to do the warranty work, the manuf can void it, but only if they can prove the part caused the damage to your bike.

For example if your rear fender cracks and falls off, or your fuel gauge stops working
or you have problems with the front tire, there is no way a T-Max caused that problem.

So tell them that you understand the philosophy of the dealership and that you
will be looking elsewhere for a dealer that is willing to work with you on this.

Or, Never tell them you are putting it on, just do it at home, then if something goes wrong, remove it put the stock ECM in and ride it to the shop,

I prefer the TTS mastertune to the Tmax, mainly because you reprogram the stock
ecm to fit your changes, it's easy and there are no parts to swap out, going back to the dealer? Use the reinstall stock map feature and ride it back.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts