Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I have read a lot on both tuners. I actually had a Thundermax on my 2008 Ultra. The only thing I am looking at is that the FP3 with auto tuner via bluetooth and app seemingly does the same thing overall as the Thundermax. But I could be very wrong about this. Would just like a comparison of the two, pros and cons, etc. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I've run both. I've still got the TMax, w/ Autotune on my V-Rod, and the FFP3 on my 'Glide.

I've had a steady stream of reliability issues with the TMax. NEVER been able to get a tune that isn't too lean or far too rich. On the open road, it runs well, and is for the most part problem-free. It HAS jacked the gauge cluster while riding. All warning lamps light up, and the tach, speedo, and fuel gauge all stop working. I know that's relative the the TMax ECU. This requires a few cycles of the ignition switch, and it seems to heal itself. Occasionally, on a cold start- it will display "ERR" in the lcd window, and refuses to start.
In town, it's never run right. Backfires, belches, and has a nasty idle. I intend to re-install the SERT and HD ECU, then pay for a dyno-tune.

The FFP3 is a gem. Never had a backfire, rode about 3k miles, and the plugs look fine. I've played with the Bluetooth via smartphone, and it seems to connect fine. No need to mess with the tune, but it will display error codes (if there are any) upon bootup. And display a few other parameters that your stock gauges don't display. Free install and map load while at Sturgis last summer. Runs like a top, and the map they loaded definitely bumped the performance up a bit. On the fly-by-wire bikes, throttle response is kind of hard to gauge vs. throttle cable. I know the sensitivity of the sensor in the TBW unit can be adjusted in the FFP. But climbing hills on interstates, I could definitely feel a little extra muscle while passing trucks, etc.

I've got nothing bad to say about the FFP3. I paid a lot less for it vs. the TMax as well.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hifi- did you notice a bad drop in fuel economy with your tmax? I did on my 08 and that's what is making me so hesitant about putting one on my 15 RGS.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Hifi- did you notice a bad drop in fuel economy with your tmax? I did on my 08 and that's what is making me so hesitant about putting one on my 15 RGS.
On my o4 Batwing Ultra with a highly modified engine I used the t-max instead of dyno tuning. I pretty well know this tuner frontwards and backwards. Without fail, when I would get the tune and timing like I wanted it, it would start out with very good gas mileage, around 42-43 mpg, then over the next few tanks of gas it would start to come down and settle in at around 33-34 mpg. I worked and worked on this and never could get it to hold the gas mileage tune. I finally gave up on it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
As Smarty said- inconsistent runs, followed by a super-rich AFR. Mileage took a nosedive. Same tuner is compatible with the V-Rod and traditional V-Twins, which I thought odd. Same connectors, different tune I guess.

Just my $0.02. I'm sure I'll have mine for sale by spring.

·
Registered
8,289 Posts

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Ive had numerous problems with the FP3. V&H "customer service" has been like pulling teeth and most of their techs dont know anymore than you and I. One actually blamed the battery saying "it must be dead because that makes no sense", battery was fully charged btw. Still waiting on them to refund my money after much demand. We'll see what happens, but have been struggling with issues with the FP3 and V&H since January...

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
If youre not planning on more than a stage 1, the dealer stage 1 downlaod will be all you need. My dealer charge $225 out the door and runs as good as it did with fp3 can map.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts