Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since installing Tmaxx, every five or six startups, while attempting to start it up, it coughs smoke from the air cleaner and the exhaust pops, sounding like someone fired a shotgun. After cycling the ignition on and off a few times, it eventually starts up. I have the latest firmware installed. Tmaxx tech support was no help whatsoever, any help with this issue would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Make sure you aren't twisting the throttle while starting,I had to get in the habit of starting the bike with my hand off the grip after being used to a carb'd bike.

·
Banned
60 Posts
Start a data collection before even starting the bike and send the collection into TMax. I bet it's got too much cranking fuel, it needs the injector timing changed under the "basic module settings" or both. Another thing you can try is allowing the TAC have more room for adjustability under the basic settings.

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
It seems that many T-Max users have that problem but T-Max support always passes the buck and says there is no problem. My bike does it on occasion and cycling the ignition is what it takes to start the bike.
I think it is a problem with the ECM booting up correctly because of a electrical power issue.
A low battery to the slightest degree or bad battery connections may cause this problem. When turning on the bikes ignition there is a good power drain with all the lights coming on along with the radio/head unit and a audio amp.
I am just guessing at this being a electrical problem but it would seem that if the bike starts good 95% to 99% of the time the other adjustment are good.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I had some issues at one time. Updating the firmware and map definitions seems to have remedied most. Occasionally if it doesn't fire on the first try, I cycle the switch and start up with no additional issues. My original map was updated with a note regarding fixing the hard start issues.

Here's the note from the definitions table:

Notes:
Replaces map # 288 Updated Basic Settings for Improved Starting when using 5.8 or later Firmware.

You can get new firmware from Thunder-Max.com support. Just download the latest version to your computer and the next time you connect to your bike tell it to look for the updates. The rest should be straightforward.

If you've already done all this, as previously stated, contact them. They've been quick to resolve me piddly issues quickly.

·
Shark of the Month December 2013
679 Posts
I also noticed on mine if you dont let the fuel pump prime and wait till the engine light goes off its hard to start at times. Now, ill let the light go off and it starts quicker than a stock bike.

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you did anything with the throttle blade adj. or had the battery disconnected
for any reason you need to cycle the ign. switch 30 sec. on 30 off for 3 times.
See if that helps, if not send in a data log to T-max, they will get back to you within a day unless it's a weekend.
Also the low numbered maps aren't as good as a higher number map. The maps with the higher numbers like 800 or 860 or whatever fits your build use that map as it will work better and also dial it in faster than the older maps.

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
If you did anything with the throttle blade adj. or had the battery disconnected
for any reason you need to cycle the ign. switch 30 sec. on 30 off for 3 times.
See if that helps, if not send in a data log to T-max, they will get back to you within a day unless it's a weekend.
Also the low numbered maps aren't as good as a higher number map. The maps with the higher numbers like 800 or 860 or whatever fits your build use that map as it will work better and also dial it in faster than the older maps.
Where do you find the maps that start with 800??? My TBW maps only go to 375 and that is a 2014 map.

·
Registered
129 Posts
@Luis, bike is dumping fuel into cylinders for some reason, had the same problems on my first map, check for updates on your map or call T-Max for updated map....I ran Tmax for 3years on my bike, sold it when i had my engine built ( builder/tuner preferred pcV) that was a big mistake...just ordered another one, selling pcV, best tuner for adjustments and auto tuning capabilities.......good luck, man.......once you work through the current problems you will love it...

·
Registered
84 Posts
@Luis, bike is dumping fuel into cylinders for some reason, had the same problems on my first map, check for updates on your map or call T-Max for updated map....I ran Tmax for 3years on my bike, sold it when i had my engine built ( builder/tuner preferred pcV) that was a big mistake...just ordered another one, selling pcV, best tuner for adjustments and auto tuning capabilities.......good luck, man.......once you work through the current problems you will love it...
I totally agree with the above post.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Did you ever solve your starting problem?

So far the only issues I’ve ever had with mine starting have already been mentioned here. Not letting fuel pressure build until engine light is out. Not resetting after a power disconnect and low battery voltage.
Did you do any other engine work at the time when you installed the Thundermax?
If it was me I would check everything just like I was reinstalling, clear the ECM and reload map and keep a battery tender on it when stored. If I still had the problem after running a couple of tanks of gas I would call TMax support and not let them off the hook until they helped me with a TMax Auto Support.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I was in Delmarva @ the Ocean City bike rally, and I had my T-max "tweaked" by Zipper's and my bike is so much smoother. My bike was doing the same thing and I can almost tell you that your map probably needs to be "tweaked" a little.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts