Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What started as replacing the bags has turned into a full blown project. Mid stream I decided to change the color as well. We will see how it turns out.

As it looked yesterday (June 21, 2013)

Today I worked on some of the mock up plus sanded down the extra tank I bought from a forum member.

Installing Top Shop Viper bags, Klock Werks Slicer front fender, RWD rear fender extension. Currently looking for a set of extended side panels and replacement dash/cap.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Looking forward to seeing the finished product, it always start with I was JUST going to do this and end up doing ALL OF THIS! BTW Pickard has the covers that extend out all the way to the edge of the bags (reason I went with them) there are others out there. :)

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BTW Pickard has the covers that extend out all the way to the edge of the bags (reason I went with them) there are others out there. :)
I will check out Pickard. I am leaning towards the BadDads covers, as they are pop on. Too bad Top Shop cannot get their matching side covers to market, those are really the ones I would like to get.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For everybody interested in removing the OEM pin stripe, DON'T DO IT. What a pain in the ass, that is one nasty sticker under the clear coat. It is not just two pin stripes, it is a full sticker between the stripes as well. I ended up sanding all the way to bare metal. I have since found out that there is a 3M wheel available that would have removed the stripe a little easier. I guess it does not matter, the tank would have to be repainted anyway you go about it.

Live and learn.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Made a little progress this weekend, finished the front fender and bag lowers. At this pace, I should have all 18 pieces painted and installed around the end of the year....LOL.

Actually, once I hit all the solid color pieces the pace should pick up. I don't want to rush things, besides the bike is still complete and road ready. I have almost a complete take off body set that I am doing this project with. The front fairings are the only pieces I am using from the original bike and I am saving that until last.

Pic quality kind of sucks since it was a cell phone, but I am happy so far.

·
Registered
7,282 Posts
What started as replacing the bags has turned into a full blown project. Mid stream I decided to change the color as well. We will see how it turns out.

As it looked yesterday (June 21, 2013)

Today I worked on some of the mock up plus sanded down the extra tank I bought from a forum member.

Installing Top Shop Viper bags, Klock Werks Slicer front fender, RWD rear fender extension. Currently looking for a set of extended side panels and replacement dash/cap.

What are you going to do with the CVO bags your replacing?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It has been productive today. Wet sanded and buffed the pieces I had ready and started the metal work on the rear fender. I hope to get all the holes plugged and everything welded up Sunday.

These pieces still need to be wiped down, there is a film left on them from buffing.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
That's looking real good. I like the color scheme you chose.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Going a little slower during the week, just not enough hours in the day.

Fender is ready to smooth out with putty and prime. I believe I was able to make adding the rear extension about as complicated as possible. I could have just painted the fender and the extension and bolted them together, like the instruction show....But, I had to go and weld it on and mid stroke I decided to go ahead and fill in all the holes used for the stock blinkers and the hold down stud (OEM solution for the stud is a small sticker that covers the head).

The simple purchase of a pair of extended bags has gotten out of control..My original plan was to paint the bags black and ride, now this project has just gone off the map.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That rear fender was kicking my ass. Finally got the fender fabrication work done and have it in the completed and painted pile. Glad to have that behind me, it turned into a lot more work than I had planned on.

Took the bike out for the last ride as a black bike this morning, now it sits in the garage like this.

Time to wrap this project up, as soon as I get the inner and outer fairing painted it will be assembly time. If everything goes smoothly, I will be ready to start back together this weekend. I will probably let the fairing sit for a week or so to cure before it goes back on, but everything else will have had over a week of sitting.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Working on the rear fender lighting and snapped a couple of photos. I also managed to get the inner fairing and associated pieces ready for paint. I would have shot the primer coat tonight, but the wind is blowing 30MPH and I don't want to worry about crap blowing onto the wet primer.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts