Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Well my 2015 RGS needs to have a new clutch put in.
Almost 42,000 miles and the bike has been great.
Went to my Dealer and dropped it off for a full service and a new clutch.
I'm going with the Screaming Eagle HD Clutch kit.
They say it's much better then the stock clutch and we found it interesting that the stock style kit cost more then the Screaming Eagle kit. I'll let you all know how the clutch works out.
Swomack

Registered
I did the same swap about a year ago, because the stock clutch was pissing me off. While the stock clutch did have a super wide friction zone - that I'm sure some would love - to me it was annoying because I kept getting a hop at the end when trying to launch the bike quickly. It was also strangely next to impossible to find neutral. And that was from day one when I first test rode Trixie at the dealer.

I checked the plates for warpage with feeler gauges and a glass plate...everything is/was in spec/perfect mechanically ... It just rather sucked in execution.

The SE clutch has a shorter friction zone, but I friggin love it because it does what it's supposed to do without boring me to death, or hoping awkwardly when I've trying to rabbit a launch. And it still easily allows me the friction zone range necessary to come to a complete stop - with my feet up - for various low speed shenanigans.

I'd call it a win.

Registered
Makes me wonder why the Screaming' Eagle clutch kit was cheaper. Out of curiosity, tried looking them up on the HD website to make a comparison, but couldn't find a "stock style kit". Are you just replacing the friction discs or the entire assembly? In any case, hope you're back on the road soon.

Registered
IIRC they both go under two part numbers, one for the friction plate set, and one for the steel plate set.

And yeah, I thought it was a trip that the SE clutch was cheaper too ... But I decided to just pay the guy and slide out the door - before anybody thought to check - in case it was one of those he'd looked up the price wrong moments.. :wink::grin:

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Makes me wonder why the Screaming' Eagle clutch kit was cheaper. Out of curiosity, tried looking them up on the HD website to make a comparison, but couldn't find a "stock style kit". Are you just replacing the friction discs or the entire assembly? In any case, hope you're back on the road soon.
Replacing the friction discs & springs.
Should have made that clearer on my post.
Just the guts and oil, ect.
Swomack

Registered
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Just picked up the bike.
Man the clutch sure feels good.
It grabs real good and can feel the difference for sure.
Had a full service and tune as well.
Ready to rip it up with my better half in the morning.
Going to hit the Rockstore & then Neptune's Net on PCH.

I'm looking into cams next.

Swomack

Administrator
SE is a better setup . For those not needing a clutch yet , for a quick improvement , just change the spring out , these clutches come with a 320# spring , which is the lightest available , need to try the 380# spring , much gooder ..

Registered
1 - 13 of 13 Posts