Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently alternate between two helmets. A Crazy Al’s half helmet and a Shoei RF1200 for long trips and wet/cold weather. Both of these helmets have some age on them. I‘ve had the Shoei the longest, almost 7 years I think it is time replace that one for sure.
I am considering going to a modular helmet this time and just using the one helmet all the time. With the RF1200 fitting so well I was considering a Neotec 2. But I can’t make myself pay $700 for a helmet. Recently I found a good deal on an AGV Sport Modular. But I can’t find one anywhere to try one to see how it fits.
Is anyone here using a Sport Modular from AGV? What are your thoughts? Do you like it? Hate it? Anyone move from an RF1200 to the AGV Modular? How Do the two compare?
TIA

·
Registered
33 Posts
Don't know how they compare but very happy with the shoei 2 modular. Clear shield, drop down visor integrated blue tooth. No fogging due to insert they install can't remember what they called it. The chin bar is very well designed to allow for easy opening and closing without slamming. Fairly quiet even with chin bar up. Light weight for longer rides. When i stop I typically raise the bar and almost forget about the helmet. Chin strap is nicely designed to lock and unlock. Very satisfied with purchase

·
Registered
656 Posts
I have used scorpion half /modular,and vega, also hjc helmets-the arphamax is awesome-changed name to arpha90 I think-has the removeable no fog lens-harley sells one with hd logo=more dollars spent-I found one on ebay,never been used so I thought here is my back up-my wife tried it on one day-it's her everyday helmet now.once I started using full face never went to half again,regardless of where I ride-good luck

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I never would have considered spending $600+ on a helmet until I tried on a Schuberth. Worth every penny, and I'll get another one when it's time.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
can't comment on the particular helmets you are looking at. but we are in the same boat as you. i live out in the sticks, no where even remotely close to look at or try on helmets. so we rely a lot on the revzilla helmet reviews, and their generous return policy. if it is down to 2 helmets, you could order them both, and then return the one that you like least. it does cost $8. for a return shipping label though.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
$700 is a lot for a helmet, but from what I've read, the NeoTec is worth it as it is quiet and flows air better than lesser helmets. I am replacing an HJC (Harley branded though) modular with the Neotec. The HJC is too noisy. I was trying to hold out for a Schuberth E1, but there are none in my size and they are delayed in customs. So, going with the Shoei.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
i wish i could spend that kind of money and barely flinch. i about have a hemorrhoid.... regardless of what it's for.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
can't comment on the particular helmets you are looking at. but we are in the same boat as you. i live out in the sticks, no where even remotely close to look at or try on helmets. so we rely a lot on the revzilla helmet reviews, and their generous return policy. if it is down to 2 helmets, you could order them both, and then return the one that you like least. it does cost $8. for a return shipping label though.
Be careful. A lot of items that used to be returnable, no longer are during the virus. I think it is possible that helmet sales might be final, especially a modular or full-face that can easily be contaminated.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I’ve been considering a new modular, too. My HJC is about 8 and the switch for the sun shade fell off. Now if just rattles, making me think there’s something wrong with my bike.

I’ve been reading a lot on these. Especially the Neotec II. People love it, but say it’s heavy (all modulars are a little heavier than full face). They also say it’s loud. But again, compared to a solid helmet or other modulars? Ugh.

But $700 is a lot, I agree. So I have also been learning about the Bell SRT and the Nolan N100-5. And maybe the Schubert 3 Lite (again, price). The Bell is China made and I find that’s a big negative to me lately. The Nolan sounds great but only works work their communicators. I don’t have a comms system yet but don’t want to box myself out. I can come up with reasons for and against them all. I may take the advice of above and buy two from Revzilla and return one. $8 doesn’t bug me for the right helmet.

Most of the others (Scorpion, Shark, Simpson, etc) are too crotch rockety for my tastes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
I do not know if they will offer a modular helmet with a carbon mix, but HJC is suppose to come out with a couple of carbon helmets around mid June. I believe they, at least, will be full face. They had been scheduled to come out mid May, but I imagine the current status of things changed that.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Be careful. A lot of items that used to be returnable, no longer are during the virus. I think it is possible that helmet sales might be final, especially a modular or full-face that can easily be contaminated.
no mention of that on their website. but, that is a good point. never hurts to call and verify first.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I'm looking around for a LS2 Viliant...I wanna try one on vs buying from Revzilla and it being wrong and them not taking it back with the covid crap going on.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I now have a Klim TK1200 Carbon helmet. Yeah $600 but my head & life are worth it. I had a Nolan 104 & have had Bell, Simpson & Schubert over the years. The Klim is the best by far. Light in weight and the first vented helmet I actually feel air movement in. Good sound dreading etc. Does run a bit small. Face shield is photomatic which I really like as 1 less layer of material to look through

·
Registered
134 Posts
I love my Schuberth C3Pro. I had a Schuberth S2 (full face) before it. Definitely like the modular, C3Pro, and it is very quiet. It has over 18,000 miles logged on it, all year riding. No complaint, will replace with another C pro model.

I commute and short ride with a Sena Half helmet. Cant remember the model, but it has the built in bluetooth.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
I now have a Klim TK1200 Carbon helmet. Yeah $600 but my head & life are worth it. I had a Nolan 104 & have had Bell, Simpson & Schubert over the years. The Klim is the best by far. Light in weight and the first vented helmet I actually feel air movement in. Good sound dreading etc. Does run a bit small. Face shield is photomatic which I really like as 1 less layer of material to look through
i checked this helmet out based on your review. they have a couple of them that are 'prior season' for $359. i checked out the review video on revzilla, and had to laugh. not because of any shortcoming on their part or the helmet's part, but because he specifies that this helmet is like the 'lazer monaco' helmet that is no longer sold in the us. just so happens that i have the lazer monaco helmet. bought from revzilla a few years back, and still use it. love the photo chromatic shield. it's carbon fiber, and for a modular, not too heavy. i like it a lot, and would have to look into the klim for replacing it.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
If you have a big head that AGV Sport Modular is not for you. I could not get it on my head. Found a new XXL Neotec 2 for 500 on ebay and it fits perfect.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I got my Neotec II from Champion Helmets out of the Netherlands, it took a while to get here but I paid just over $500 for it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I really dislike wearing a full face helmet. But for those times I do, my Neotech 2 is the best I’ve ever found. I was able to order the smaller cheek pads and it just fits so comfortably now. And it is so much quieter than any other full face I’ve ever worn.

I am not used to wearing a full face all the time so when I do wear it for a day my neck is a bit sore the next day. That’s the difference 3lbs makes between my lightweight half and the Neo.

I was able to find a BMW dealer on eBay that was selling off stock for some reason. I got it new for $300! The guy sold all 9 in his inventory in about 1 day. Watch and you will find a deal with a little patience.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
the klim that dmrdn mentions up above (tk1200) can be had on the klim website for $359. if you want matte white, or black with hi vis green. i guess they are leftovers from a couple years back and they're blowing them out. but that is a great price. i'm having a hard time resisting ordering one myself, but i don't really need a new helmet just yet.

Reactions: dmrdn
1 - 20 of 35 Posts