Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are you guys experiences with jumping to a 200 rear. My rear wheel is the same size as stock with the 180 tire. I think I am going with the Metzeler this time. The Avon never let me down but I only got around 5K out of it.

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
What size can you go up too with the stock rear rims size ?
Would like too put on a 190/55/16 or a 200/55/16 Metzler on my bike. Can that tire fit on the stock rim?
Swomack

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I don't think your ogng to get much beter out of a Metzler.....They are awesomne on a cruiser, but terrible for longevity on a bagger......Look at the elite III or the Commander (JMO)......

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
How will going with a bigger rear tire affect the handling of the bike??

·
Premium Member
3,115 Posts
The stock rim is 16x5. Could you put a 200mm tire on it if you wanted? You could but I see no benefit but less mileage than a 180. Will it fit under your stock fender? It should however I would op[t for Michelin Com II in a 180/65/16 personally. I'm not a fan Dunlops.

When guys upgrade the rear wheel to 17x6.25 a 200 is necessary as the rim is so much wider than the stock rim. In comparison 18" wheels are 5.5" wide and a 180 with tire is recommended over a 200mm tire as the 20 mm tire on a 5.5" rear rim is known to cause a high speed wobble issue.

Drew

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
The stock rim is 16x5. Could you put a 200mm tire on it if you wanted? You could but I see no benefit but less mileage than a 180. Will it fit under your stock fender? It should however I would op[t for Michelin Com II in a 180/65/16 personally. I'm not a fan Dunlops.

When guys upgrade the rear wheel to 17x6.25 a 200 is necessary as the rim is so much wider than the stock rim. In comparison 18" wheels are 5.5" wide and a 180 with tire is recommended over a 200mm tire as the 20 mm tire on a 5.5" rear rim is known to cause a high speed wobble issue.

Drew
Thanks for posting up this information.
Swomack

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
Wow! 5,000 to 11,000 miles on a rear tire, what you guys doing burn outs??
I will stick with my 140,s on the rear still getting 20,000 plus on them. I get 35,000 plus on the front 130,s ;)

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Wow! 5,000 to 11,000 miles on a rear tire, what you guys doing burn outs??
I will stick with my 140,s on the rear still getting 20,000 plus on them. I get 35,000 plus on the front 130,s ;)
Yeah no kidding. I have the stock 180 Dunlop on the back and I'm getting between 18-20k miles out of them.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yeah no kidding. I have the stock 180 Dunlop on the back and I'm getting between 18-20k miles out of them.
Yep. ME 880's. I get 10-13k, of mid level riding on the rear. Always have, even on my old Honda's ST's. The concept of 20k is baffling.....

Can't imagine anything else..... I always heard Avons were the high mileage tires, but then dudes are getting 5k. Riding styles, 100hp bikes, and air pressure I guess...

·
Premium Member
3,115 Posts
I couldn't get 20K out of any rear tire, not even close. I average around 10-12 out of stock Dunlops or Michelin Com II's. You guys must have really smooth roads and not be on the throttle like I am.

Drew

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
I do not do burnouts or holeshots or whatever you want to call them but I do ride fairly aggressively. I stay on top of the air pressures in the tires. I've always had great luck with the stock Dunlops. I ride solo most of the time with my girlfriend jumping on during the weekends. I've never really had any of the problems I hear that are "common" to the roadglide either. I can't explain it. Although pricey I'll keep buying the stock Dunlops until I can no longer get them

·
Registered
280 Posts
I couldn't get 20K out of any rear tire, not even close. I average around 10-12 out of stock Dunlops or Michelin Com II's. You guys must have really smooth roads and not be on the throttle like I am.

Drew
I agree Drew... 9500 to 13k if I run it to the chords. I have had all the top brands searching for longevity... I give up and just except the fact that have to go thru 2 tires a year...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts