Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 99 RG with a stock HU and Hog Tunes speakers (w/o amp) and am having a hard time finding any new albums sold on cassette :D so figured I'm ready for an upgrade. With my current setup I just plug my ipod to the aux and surprisingly the quality isn't that bad, but not good enough.

So here's what I'm thinking about doing and want to get everyone's personal opinion good or bad.

Head Unit: Alpine HD149BT

Amp: Biketronics BT2180

2 x Speakers: Biketronics 7.1 BT7P1RG - Anyone have these? Do they sound good? I've read nothing but great things about these speakers and the reason I'm leaning toward them. If someone thinks I can get better speakers around the same price please let me know.

Controls/Radio Kit: Hawg Wired Harley Universal Radio Install Kit - I heard multiple people having issues with BT's control module which is the reason I was going this route. If you guys think BT is the route to go please let me know.

Everyone's thoughts, experiences with any of these products?

Also my bike is currently at my local dealer getting worked done and they said they would install the system for me for pretty much nothing since they are already going to have the fairing apart. Is this is a bad idea? Should I just do it myself?

Thanks in advanced.

·
Administrator
12,457 Posts
If you know how..... I would install it your self, get to know your bike better, and know it's done right. If you have the dealer do it, you better get a price up front. ....

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
156 Posts
So I have a 99 RG with a stock HU and Hog Tunes speakers (w/o amp) and am having a hard time finding any new albums sold on cassette :D so figured I'm ready for an upgrade. With my current setup I just plug my ipod to the aux and surprisingly the quality isn't that bad, but not good enough.

So here's what I'm thinking about doing and want to get everyone's personal opinion good or bad.

Head Unit: Alpine HD149BT

Amp: Biketronics BT2180

2 x Speakers: Biketronics 7.1 BT7P1RG - Anyone have these? Do they sound good? I've read nothing but great things about these speakers and the reason I'm leaning toward them. If someone thinks I can get better speakers around the same price please let me know.

Controls/Radio Kit: Hawg Wired Harley Universal Radio Install Kit - I heard multiple people having issues with BT's control module which is the reason I was going this route. If you guys think BT is the route to go please let me know.

Everyone's thoughts, experiences with any of these products?

Also my bike is currently at my local dealer getting worked done and they said they would install the system for me for pretty much nothing since they are already going to have the fairing apart. Is this is a bad idea? Should I just do it myself?

Thanks in advanced.
I'd do it myself if I were you. As DBell said you will get to know your bike and when you get ready the change systems again (and you will) you will know exactly what to do. Those 7.1's from Biketronics are killer! You will need a strong amp to get the best out them though. They are power hungry but they are also efficient at 94 DB. Get em!

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
If you know how..... I would install it your self, get to know your bike better, and know it's done right. If you have the dealer do it, you better get a price up front. ....

Sent from my SPH-L710
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the advice. My biggest concern doing it myself would be running wire for the amp. I don't know how comfortable I'd be taking the fuel tank off. Other then that I think I'd have no issues doing the install myself with the basic knowledge I have with car stereos and home audio.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Thanks guys for the advice. My biggest concern doing it myself would be running wire for the amp. I don't know how comfortable I'd be taking the fuel tank off. Other then that I think I'd have no issues doing the install myself with the basic knowledge I have with car stereos and home audio.
I ran a 10 gauge wire for my amp under an 04 Electra glide without removing the gas tank. I would think you could do the same on a 99 RG.
I DID have to remove the tank on my 13 RGC but it's a whole different frame.
You might have to loosen it a bit to raise it up an inch or so but it's a piece of cake.
As far as the Biketronics module , I've never had a problem with with mine that I've been using since 09. However, I'm gonna buy the Hawgwired next time since it's able to be switched to different brands of head units.
Let us know how it all turns out. :D

·
Registered
672 Posts
No need to remove the tank to pass the power wirea through. Remove the 3 bolts, heatshrink the power (power/ground if your like me) lift tank and slide it through till you see it on the right side of the neck. Pass through neck and fairing brace and viola!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you guys think the BT amp is worth a extra $200? If I just buy the speakers and pick up a PBR300x2 that's how much I'd save.

What would be easier to install?

·
Registered
654 Posts
There is excellent youtube vids on how to remove a RG fairing.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Custom audio upgrade HD dealer may not be best place for. Lots of info here and on the web also many vendors can provide useful details on install system upgrades. Good DIY project. Good luck.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
156 Posts
Do you guys think the BT amp is worth a extra $200? If I just buy the speakers and pick up a PBR300x2 that's how much I'd save.

What would be easier to install?
Both amps are easy to install. For your application with 4 Ohm speakers the 2180 would make you a happy camper. The X2 is only rated at 100RMS @ 4 ohms. The 2180 is 180 watts x 2. Now if you ran the Infinity 62.11i speakers with the X2 you would be in business as the Infinity's are 2 Ohm speakers. The birth sheet on most of the X2's is around 180/190 watts @ 2 Ohms. IMO the extra 200 is worth it with the 7.1 speakers. I've had the Infinity set up and the clarity will blow you away!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Both amps are easy to install. For your application with 4 Ohm speakers the 2180 would make you a happy camper. The X2 is only rated at 100RMS @ 4 ohms. The 2180 is 180 watts x 2. Now if you ran the Infinity 62.11i speakers with the X2 you would be in business as the Infinity's are 2 Ohm speakers. The birth sheet on most of the X2's is around 180/190 watts @ 2 Ohms. IMO the extra 200 is worth it with the 7.1 speakers. I've had the Infinity set up and the clarity will blow you away!
I know a lot of people are a big fan of the infinity's, I used to have a pair of Kappa's (I think that was the name) in a old car and even without an amp they sounded great.

Have you heard the 7.1's in action by chance? I haven't and am going off a few friends from out of town and the reviews online. I'm just curious if they're worth the extra money compared to a cheaper route like the infinity's or Polk. I know a lot of products get a ridiculous markup because its "designed or made" for a motorcycle.

·
Registered
156 Posts
No need to remove the tank to pass the power wirea through. Remove the 3 bolts, heatshrink the power (power/ground if your like me) lift tank and slide it through till you see it on the right side of the neck. Pass through neck and fairing brace and viola!
What he said. . . .

·
Registered
156 Posts
I know a lot of people are a big fan of the infinity's, I used to have a pair of Kappa's (I think that was the name) in a old car and even without an amp they sounded great.

Have you heard the 7.1's in action by chance? I haven't and am going off a few friends from out of town and the reviews online. I'm just curious if they're worth the extra money compared to a cheaper route like the infinity's or Polk. I know a lot of products get a ridiculous markup because its "designed or made" for a motorcycle.
Yes! I have a buddy who has the exact same setup.... The 2180 with the 7.1 speakers. Sounds just as good as the infinity set up with more bass. Depends on your ears. When I ran the infinity's my bass came from my 6 x 9 pioneers in the lids. . . Sweet!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts