Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a few weeks ago, I changed the oil in the bike. One of my vent doors in the fairing wasn't working right, so I pulled the fairing to check it out. Much to my surprise, two mice came scurrying out, scared the shit out of me. After I removed the nest they built under the fairing, I found that they were chewing on wires all winter. WTF!!!

The price for the wire harness wasn't as bad as I thought (don't tell MoCo that), about $140. The issue is, it's on back order until end of June. My dealer didn't tell me that until 2 weeks had gone by without getting a call. I checked online, Ebay, all the usual places. There are a couple of harnesses in Europe for a lot more money. So here I sit, waiting. I'll be luck to get mile 1 in by 4th of July.

Stupid mice!

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
They do love that insulation. It doesn't look too bad ... I'd patch it for the intern. That is until you get the proper harness.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
Damn! I have two cats that get locked up in my shop at night. Haven't seen a mouse dropping in 10 years.

The negative is that I have to keep my bikes covered to discourage the cats from climbing around on the bikes.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Electrical tape up those wires up and ride till the harness comes in.

Rodents suck.

Seeing a lot of that in the automotive industry, rumor I heard was high content of soy bean being used in the outer casings.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I've had the same problem. I used liquid tape to coat the wires and stuffed multiple sheets of Bounce in the fairing. I have no idea if that actually works, but they haven't been back.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I've had the same problem. I used liquid tape to coat the wires and stuffed multiple sheets of Bounce in the fairing. I have no idea if that actually works, but they haven't been back.

Haven't heard of using dryer sheets, but I have heard of using mothballs for squirrels and other rodents. Just remember they're very dangerous for dogs/cats and other pets. I'd put a few in a small loosely woven cloth sack and hang the sack inside the faring somewhere (to keep control of them).

·
Registered
246 Posts
What's the part number for the harness? I'd like to think they looked to see if other dealers had the part, but I try not to make assumptions about things like that anymore.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Oh hell! That's just crazy!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I had the same problem last year. Main victim was one of my RCA cables to my amp. Replaced that and liquid tape on the rest.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What's the part number for the harness? I'd like to think they looked to see if other dealers had the part, but I try not to make assumptions about things like that anymore.
69200122, dealer said no one else had it in stock

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I try some liquid tape until replacement harness get here. How much more can go wrong???

1 - 13 of 13 Posts