Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my annual trip to Vegas for the big rodeo booked for December. I'm not much into the gambling/partying aspects of Vegas, so I try to find something else to blow money on besides rodeo tickets.

I'm thinking I'll rent a bike for a couple days. Las Vegas HD is running a special now, any bike for $110/day. Does not appear that they offer a Road Glide so I may have to lower my standards and go with a Street Glide. :p Has anyone rented from them before? I've rented in the past from the dealer in Tucson, and it was an easy process and a great experience. Looks like Eagleriders rents HD's also, however, once you book with them, there are no refunds if you have to cancel.

Also, looking for some day trip ideas... The weather has been awesome the last 2 years I've been out there in early December. Since I have tickets to the nightly rodeo at UNLV Thomas & Mack, I need to back in town by 4:30 or 5:00pm. I'm an early bird so I can head out at first light.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
I did the same thing a few years ago with a friend. We rented thru Eaglerider and got Street Glides, which solidified my Road Glide purchase by the way. We wasted 2 to 3-hours getting thru the check in process, which sucked, and yes we had reservations. My buddy had rented there several times before and said he had never had that happen before though. Could have been a fluke. They ended up waiving us having to bring them back before closing time though so that was cool.

We rode out to the Valley of Fire Park and then made our way to Lake Meade and the Hoover Dam. It was nice riding and not very busy roads. Take plenty of water with you, it does get hot out there.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I rented a bike a couple years ago but didn't use Harley. I used Eagle Riders and I must say they were excellent to work with,I arrived 30 minutes unknowingly before they opened and they went ahead and let us in to start the paperwork process.Why Zion would be an excellent choice I don't think in December there would not be enough daytime light to make the trip without coming back in the dark.Red Rock Canyon is a short distance and a easy ride. I think the best choice would be a ride thru the Valley of Fire then a brief ride around Lake Mead ,you could also incorporate a stop over at Hoover Dam,though more than likely if you have been to Vegas several times you have been there done that. Oh well that's my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
And a ride out from Kingman to Oatman on old Route 66 is a good ride too.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I live in Las Vegas and have to agree with all the previous post on suggestion on day rides, not a bad one in the bunch. If you want a local to ride with you let me know, we have a bunch of Road Rods that love to ride.

·
Registered
343 Posts
We used to go to the PBR Finals every year but when we lost my MIL that stopped. It is a blast though and I wouldn't mind a bit going back.

Just stop and eat at Lucille's BBQ for me! It's south on Green Valley parkway off the 215. Great food and if you leave hungry its because you didn't clean your plate!

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
As mentioned previously Red Rock Canyon is a great site to see, and its just a quick trip west of LV. Perhaps then continue west out to Purump, NV...infamously known for the closest legal brothels in LV if your into that stuff :eek:. But Purump also has wineries and the Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch. That'd be a day's trip there and back.

Then another trip out to Hoover Dam and Lake Mead can eat up another day. For those that live nearby Hoover, can you still drive across the dam and/or take tours (ie has the new bridge opened)?

·
Registered
329 Posts
I rented from Las Vegas HD in 2008. They were excellent. I rode up to Utah for a few days and upon my return, something came up and I had to leave Vegas early. It was no problem with them, they credited me for the unused days, no problem.

We had an EG Ultra, and the bike was clean and ran flawlessly.

I've rented from Eaglerider before in LA, and was not impressed with the bike at all. The check in took forever. It wasn't as good an experience as was Las Vegas HD.

·
Registered
569 Posts
My only suggestion is if you know someone in Law enforcement see if they will let you use their credenmtials. I used mine for a few friends and they get%50 off rental fees.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
You can still ride across the dam and is definately worth doing. There is a nice parking spot and walkway to get across the new bridge and take some photos as well.

As was mentioned, Lake Mead Recreation area and the Valley of Fire state park is fun to ride around it and spend time at.

Zion NP is about 2 hours each way and then you can explore the park. That time of year the entire park should be open to motorcycle traffic. During the tourist season half the park is limited to bus traffic only so it is a treat to be able to ride the whole place. No problem leaving Vegas in the morning and making it back late afternoon before dark and the temperature should be perfect.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I rented a RGU from LV HD in March. My buddy rented an EG Ultra. We rode to Mt Charleston one day and the Valley of Fire Hoover dam loop the next. We worked on the EG quite bit the second day. The shift lever kept coming off the transmission because the bolt fell out. So we had to stop and put it back on several times. That wasn't the dealers fault since the bike was brand new. They gave him a discount. I have rented from Eagle Rider also and had no problems with them but there bikes are older, or ours was anyway. Anything can go wrong but I have had good experiences with both places. We usually rent about 2 or 3 in the afternoon and ride that evening and then again in the morning. Plus you have the bike overnight if you want to ride it. Take lots of water and chapstick. I'll be there in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds great, thanks everyone for the advice.

I was at Hoover Dam a couple years ago... The new bridge was still under construction at that point, so it would be neat to see it now that it's done. I'd definitely like to see Zion's too. Decisions, decisions. :)

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
There are a lot of rides you could take and the Lake Mead ride to the Valley of Fire is a cool ride and it will take up most of the day, you could go down Lake Mead parkway to the Lake Mead rec area and knock off some of the trip or you can start at the beginning of the rec area which is in Boulder City (which I recommend), you should check out the downtown area of Boulder City it is a cool little town, then head down to the Hoover Dam and check out the Dam and the new bridge then back track a few miles to the beginning of the Lake Mead rec area and head up to the Valley of Fire (get gas in Boulder City even if you don't need it) the Valley of Fire is real cool and you should take some time to check it out, when you leave the Valley of Fire you should go back through the Lake Mead rec area and then take the short cut down Lake Mead parkway back into Henderson, make sure to pack a cooler with water and snacks because there is not to many service areas. The ride up to Zion is hwy most of the way and it is boring and when you get to Zion it cost $27 to ride through the park and it only take about 1/2 hour to do it without stopping, I did the ride and I wasn't that impressed the scenery in the park was nice but you felt like you didn't get your money worth. The Red Rock canyon ride takes about 20 minutes it is free and it drops you out on the Blue Diamond hwy, head west on the Blue Diamond hwy and go over the hump to Pahrump at the top of the hump the is Spring Mountains Saloon and a lot of bikers stop there, then head into Pahrump get some gas and head into California to Death Valley the scenery in Death Valley is awesome, this is a all day ride so you may want to leave early and pack a cooler with water and snacks. If it was me I would do the Lake Mead/Valley of Fire and the Death Valley rides. Enjoy and don't forget the camera and Nevada & CA are helmet states so you may want to take your own helmet instead of renting a helmet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts