Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am running the stock tires on my 19 RG standard. Is there much more ride quality to be gained by changing tire brands from the original tires. Are the side wall extra stiff on stock Harley touring tires?

any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had OEM tires on my 15RGS. I spoke with my Indy (HD certified Master Mechanic) who used to work for HD and now opened his own place. He recommended Dunlop Elites. Told me to buy them anywhere I want and he'll put them on so he had no skin in the game regarding the actual tires. He said Dunlop and HD had a falling out regarding the tire composition. Dunlop wants to change the composition to make the tires better and HD didn't want them to change...so Dunlop made the new tire, removed the Harley logo from the tires and calls them "Elite". I swapped out both front and rear just before heading down to Gettysburg. 1,100 miles later, I'm very happy I switches off the OEM tires. 400 miles on Thursday in the pouring rain...another 700 miles on dry pavement...Love the tires. Great performance. Great ride! Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
I went to the American Elites on my 16. Theres a difference. huge? No. But you feel it. Only tires I ran. Elite 3s and the American Elites.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I like tires that help make the bike feel like it is riding on rails. I want instant reaction to input and a tight ride that provides confidence in the twisties. I have no complaints about the tires on my Special. Nice low sidewalls and a great ride.

Of course I had to change the rear shocks within 60 miles so the suspension worked better on normal roads as well as smooth pavement.

If I keep the bike long enough to change tires I will either go with Michelin Commanders or Dunlop Elite tires. I ran Elite 3s on a previous heavy cruiser as well as Commander IIs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Lexpert, I've have been running Avon tires on my Harley's since 2006. The recommendation came from Arlen Ness himself at his shop in Dublin California. Took his advice best tires I have ever installed, very smooth, handling is excellent plus they don't cup like the dunlops. I've had many friends give them a try and guess what they are still using them to this day.

·
Shark of the Month October 13
7,930 Posts
+1 on the Avons. I've run 120/21 and 200/17 Avon Cobra combo on my 2011 since the bike had 1,700 miles on it and I can't find any fault with them. If I were to nit-pik, I'd say the soft compound of the Avons gives you a bit less mileage life, but not so much that I care. It's that same softer compound that gives them the handling edge in feeling more like a sport bike/sport touring bike. Just one guy's experience.

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
Here's another vote for Avon Tires.
I have been using them since the 80's.
I tried the Michelin Commander II's based on what I read here but went back to Avon's.
I am currently running their Cobra Chrome Models and they ride very smooth.
Then again, tires are like oil and such, everyone has their own personal preferences.
I hope You are able to find the tire that suits Your riding style.
Mike U.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I'm a newer convert to Avons as well; I have 5000km on mine and they handle superb in all weather conditions. OE Dunlop tires cupped really deep, I didn't want to bother trying another Dunlop after how poorly they lasted

·
Shark of the Month October 13
7,930 Posts
Steady Eddie - What brand of tires do you run when it's time to replace the originals?

Damn, what was I thinking ..... you never have a bike long enough to wear out a pair of tires!!!

Reactions: Bleachey

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Steady Eddie - What brand of tires do you run when it's time to replace the originals?

Damn, what was I thinking ..... you never have a bike long enough to wear out a pair of tires!!!
I'm not sure he even needs to change the oil on his bikes. Maybe, just maybe check the tire pressure, but definitely no routine preventive maintenance required.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts
I agree, the Avons are the way to go. They just handle so well in curves and wet conditions.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Just to be different, and for experimental purposes, I went with a set of Bridgestone "Battlecruise" tires on my 2017 RGS. About $250 for both. Like all Bridgestones, they are a bitch to mount, but I am happy with them about 1k miles in.

I run Bridgestones almost exclusively on my sportbikes and sporttourers and the quality is outstanding.

Time will tell, got a chance to ride them in the rain, stuck well.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
The tires on the older model HD had a higher sidewall and that help with the ride. Then HD started going with bigger rims and to keep the bike at a reasonable riding height they started to put low profile tires on the bikes and the shorter sidewall tires didn't ride as well. If you want to improve the ride with tires you could try a tire with a higher sidewall but you may sacrifice handling. Also going with a 13 inch shock in the rear would help. JMO

1 - 19 of 19 Posts