Road Glide banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After taking my 04 to HD for a tire replacement the rear tire is rubbing over bumps. HD told me that because of the 18" wheel there is no tire that won't rub. I believe I have 11" shocks. There is no way that I can put my tour pack back on or ride two up. Do I need to lift the bike or did HD do me dirty?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I did some homework, HD guys made BAD recommendations!! Let the fight begin!

·
Administrator
12,484 Posts
I guess you answered your own question, but I was going to say if it didn't rub before, no way should it rub after, let us know what happens.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
is it the same size tire that originally came off?

11'' shocks are 1'' shorter than the short shocks that come with the customs and street glides. maybe try 'full size' shocks?

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
is it the same size tire that originally came off?

11'' shocks are 1'' shorter than the short shocks that come with the customs and street glides. maybe try 'full size' shocks?
I don't think the '04 had that wide of a tire to begin with. It's what was on my '11 which had the newer frame. I think it was wider in the rear.

·
Registered
173 Posts
After taking my 04 to HD for a tire replacement the rear tire is rubbing over bumps. HD told me that because of the 18" wheel there is no tire that won't rub. I believe I have 11" shocks. There is no way that I can put my tour pack back on or ride two up. Do I need to lift the bike or did HD do me dirty?
If this is so, than put a scissor jack or like under the bike, than jack it up.

On your bike pull the bottom of the shock out away from the swing arm so it will not interfere.

Lower the bike down until the tire touches the fender.

Measure shock mounting with a CALIPER (cheap at HF 24" aluminum jumbo > $10) top to bottom. This will give you the maximum amount your shock stroke can be. Measure the exposed shaft from shock body to bottom of the bump stop (not top), that is your total stroke.

Measure the total shock mounting bolt to mounting bolt when the shock is fully extended.

Subtract the total stroke from the shock LOA extended than if that measurement is = to or > than, the measurement between the two mounting bolts and if the total radius from Ø axle to top of tire is too long/large than you should have not ordered & had installed the new tire size. Charts of total tire diameter(s) are available on my site as well as on the internet.

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
A stock 04 has 13 inch shocks, 16 inch rims front and back and 130x16 tire in the rear. If you are running a 18 inch wheel with a 11 inch shocks then tire rubbing on the top inside of the rear fender is very possible.
The 04 also uses a 1 1/8 inch drive belt and that is the reason for the 130 rear tire, when HD went to the 1 inch drive belt the rear tire went to 140.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts