Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our annual ride to TN is coming up end of May. Reservation where we are going have been made for almost a year. Made the en-route reservations last night. Few things are clear. We will not stay in bad Lodging period.
Prices are up across the board we were looking at 3 different routes.
In the reviews at nice motels we are seeing more and more comments about the room stinking of POT. And that is in Non smoking rooms or places that ban smoking.
A fair number of what would be considered quality lodging have really drop in their ratings. Places we have stayed in the past have gone from outstanding to ghetto ratings.
More than a month out found desirable places already booked or booked to a point they really raised the rates for what few were left.
Going on a road trip book early shop smart. We all know every now and then a place can get a bad review but when you do the research and find a track record best to avoid it.
Wife and I both are ready to go now , but we have to wait a bit. This will be the first long trip with the sidecar, it should be interesting.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When you come around a corner on a narrow one lane trail and met a Black bear almost nose to nose. And she makes it clear you are not welcome. You will say putting a reverse in was a good investment. Then as you are backing up the cubs expose them self. You back up some more and take a few pictures at a safer distance.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
When you come around a corner on a narrow one lane trail and met a Black bear almost nose to nose. And she makes it clear you are not welcome. You will say putting a reverse in was a good investment. Then as you are backing up the cubs expose them self. You back up some more and take a few pictures at a safer distance.
Cades Cove?

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Cades Cove?
No this was on Roaring forks road in Gatlinburg. Not the first time we met bear out there. But this time it was real personal she stood tall when we first met. I put the bike in reverse and backed up she went back down and just watched. When we were 50 yards or so away she watched us but was more focused on her cubs.
Couple more shots of her. We always have fun here.

Attachments

·
Registered
327 Posts
I love that area. Been down there four times. I ride the Blue Ridge Parkway from PA and camp. Going down again on July 6th for a week with 6 others. Im taking my son's 2007 softail custom. We are all doing no windshields since several guys have sportsters. Should be an adventure. Can't wait.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
That's quite the encounter right there! Talk about an "oh crap" moment! Glad you had that reverse, just think if you didn't.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's quite the encounter right there! Talk about an "oh crap" moment! Glad you had that reverse, just think if you didn't.
I would have put jiffy stand down. Dismounted .Using ike to so what block the view of us back slowly away out of her sight. Generally if you give them room and do not go in direction oif the cubs they saty with thier cubs. But like humans not everyone follows the rules.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Tn/nc

My 2 friends of 47 yrs and myself have been riding the area for 20 yrs. Head quarters was my friends Uncle in Powell, TN. Since he passed the last 5 yrs we have to pay to stay and been using AirBnB and VRBO and have found incredible cabins and personal homes, all with a garage or carport to park the machines! We're headed out 6/12 staying in Dellwood, NC for 4 days and nights of amazing riding, great food and adult bevs and a lifetime of camaraderie...Good luck...T

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Home safe no issues. This year was a a little lower on miles because of the roads we chose to ride. 3,000 miles. Things that were not expected. Wife decided to ride in the sidecar about 90% of the time. Reason was she just enjoyed it. The rig did even better than expected in the sharp turns up and down hill, yes I got an upper body work out but nothing to complain about. Wife's Idea to install the reverse came in handy. We had no problem riding 600 mile days and could have gone father . When traffic far exceeded the speed limit we had no problems keeping up.
The next year will be a lot of shorter trips. Oldest son heading back to the middle east for 18 months in Afghanistan. That means I become primary care provider for granddaughter Payton.
We will do a lot of riding while he is away . Her and I are working on a 1060 mile round trip to the ARK in KY. We will make the trip even if it means just the two of us going.
As a song says the years keep keep coming and they don't stop coming. A fact get out and ride while you can . I'll do it tomorrow maybe to late enjoy while you can.
Western TN , NC ect how can you go wrong on a ride.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Glad y’all had a good time and made it home safe and sound. Please tell your son “Thank you” from this self-proclaimed old fart, & let’s all keep him,(and the family) in our prayers!
On a side note: maybe we should start a thread, or one of the admins can create a spot for all to post up the “good” places to stay. IE: hotel recommendations, as we are on our summer journeys this year?

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Glad y’all had a good time and made it home safe and sound. Please tell your son “Thank you” from this self-proclaimed old fart, & let’s all keep him,(and the family) in our prayers!
On a side note: maybe we should start a thread, or one of the admins can create a spot for all to post up the “good” places to stay. IE: hotel recommendations, as we are on our summer journeys this year?
Thank you.
Post good places is a good idea. Places change fast. A BW we use to stay at in route that was outstanding now has rooms smelling likepot turned in to crap hole. We we lucky and found out before we got burned.
While not right for everyone we have a time share that we have had for 20 plus years . We use it in Gatlinburg . Like have a home waiting for us. I must say it again. Time shares are Not for everyone if you get into it be sure you know what your doing and what you are getting into. We use it all over the place but really like the Places in Gatlinburg.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts