Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all!! Well my almost new 2016 ultra had a bad ball peen hammer knocking sound when cold and my local dealer (not the selling to me dealer that said it was normal) has diagnosed and is going to replace the cam plate, lifters and pushrods . Thank goodness!!! I was worried I would have to live with that racket and had serious buyers remorse... I knew something was wrong!!...

ok so now to the dilemma ...I will upgrade the cam plate, bearings, pushrods to SE, lifters stock from what I have read... but should I change out the cams while they are in there?
or spend that money on a head pipe like the fuel Moto or a decat stocker and PV to cool the bike down?

Can I do the cams, leave the stock header and do rest of stage 1? Is that defeating the purpose?

OR leave Cams intact and put that towards exhaust?

OR????..
and then there's the question of what cam? 204, 254e, 255?....Will a cam really make that much of a difference?

Since I have warranty and ESP I will use SE.

Ok enough rambling... what say you fine folks? A lot going on right now...pretty upset new $$$ bike is broke, so my thought process is a little messed up...... trying to make lemonade at this point

·
Registered
116 Posts
If the labor is covered for the cams in the other repair I would seriously consider having the cams installed now and do the exhaust later. You will not get all the performance out of it but the more expensive part would be done. Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response..Thats what I am leaning towards...part of the issue I guess is the associated $$ that comes with the cams...buying the cams themselves, tuner, tuning. etc...

·
Registered
337 Posts
If the labor is covered for the cams in the other repair I would seriously consider having the cams installed now and do the exhaust later. You will not get all the performance out of it but the more expensive part would be done. Just my 2 cents worth.
What he said. Plus if the are replacing the bad items you should only have to pay the difference between the stock cams and the ones you want to install. The expensive part is labor and they will be in there already, so you may be able to afford the head pipe also.

I asked about the SE 204 cam earlier on this forum. I got one reply and it was what I expected, never heard of anyone running it so there must be a reason.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So dealer uses powervision and they charge like 500 to do the license, flash and setup the bike, does not include the unit.. Thinking about buying a PV from Jamie at FM and just using the FM map...I guess the dealer uses their unit and autotune and take 3 hours or so to get the map right, flash done, and remove the autotune...but they have no dyno. If they were setting up with a dyno I would feel better about going that route, but I would have to go back there if it wasnt running right or wanted an update>.... Seems to me that I could just buy from FM with a canned map, and go from there.

Oh, which SE cam? Hearing 255 is a good fit, but may be difficult to setup, 254 a little higher in the powerband, more forgiving to setup

PV and target tune now 800..phew!!!

I need to call Jamie at FM...

·
Registered
523 Posts
I guess I need to call the ESP folks and see if SE255s may void my terms later on...
Simply having the cam installed will not "void your warranty" nor will it void the ESP. The only issue would be if there was a failure and the failure was tied directly to the cam. Highly unlikely, to say the least.

Go for it!

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the feedback...Just trying to look at all angles..actually now thinking about getting the $$ back from the harley esp since it seems they can be very finicky about upgrades.....maybe purchasing the cornerstone plan later down the road...looks like they are more user friendly with mods...Jim may be able to clear that up for me..
the 255 cams look like they will fit my needs, and they are also listed as compliant/street legal in the parts catalog..oh, love that color and the 2-1 IdahoHacker!!! What lifters did you use?

So as of tonight..lol..255 cams, the SE camplate, SE cam bearings, SE tapered pushrods, stock lifters?(read bad things about the SE), powervision...see how it runs and maybe header later...Maybe it will be OK after PV tune..even with the CAT....still have a couple days to figure it out!!!

Thanks for everyones input!!

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Does anyone have experience with SE585s? Are they bolt in on my stock Throttle body? catalog states:

For use on ’14-’16 Touring models with the use of a 58mm Throttle Body. Also fits ’14-’16 CVO™ Touring models with or without the use of a 58mm Throttle Body. Does not fit Trike models. Installation requires separate purchase of Performance Valve Spring Kit P/N 18013-03A. All EFI models require ECM calibration for proper installation

Maybe easier on the engine and quieter than 255s?

·
Registered
58 Posts
What he said. Plus if the are replacing the bad items you should only have to pay the difference between the stock cams and the ones you want to install. The expensive part is labor and they will be in there already, so you may be able to afford the head pipe also.

I asked about the SE 204 cam earlier on this forum. I got one reply and it was what I expected, never heard of anyone running it so there must be a reason.

Good luck
I had SE204's in my 2013 I loved them. Come on about 2650 and roll from there, stock 103

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
After going back and forth I decided that the 255 wasnt enough of an upgrade for a 103HO wethead to even spend the $$ (like 1k) so I will put the cash elsewhere....still need a stereo, I cant beleive for the money we spend on these things that the stereo is so terrible!!....I should have put in SE585s and the SE beehive springs but they didnt have in stock..so I only upgraded the cam plate and oil pump, the lifters (all this under warranty, had to pay the difference from stock part cost) and having them install the rockouts..really excited about the rockouts...if its quieter, ill be happy!! ...Powervision is on the way from Fuel Moto with the map.. and then ill put on the ventilator AC and see how it runs with the cat and go from there....

While its there having the Harley Slicer wheels, tires and polished rotors that I had in the garage put on...should be rinding by Tuesday and ill throw up some pics...thanks to all for your advice!! In the thread and via PM...really helped!!

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
.585 S/E cams will fit under the OE spring, and if the word is spring pressure, it ain't so.
Local dealer, hoodwinked a client of ours early fall last year with that.
Scott

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
.585 S/E cams will fit under the OE spring, and if the word is spring pressure, it ain't so.
Local dealer, hoodwinked a client of ours early fall last year with that.
Scott
Figures!! They have that listed as a requirment in the HD catalog under that cam...good sales pitch!!

Funny thing in the big P&A catalog the cams are shown as compliant, and in the small catalog off road only..oh, and they also stated those cams would fit the M8!! lol....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts