Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking for some opinions based on the pic of these brake pads on whether to change or not?

These are my original rear pads on a 2012 RGU.....OH AND 62,000 miles on it

Attachments

·
Registered
875 Posts
I am guessing you don't use the rear brake very often?

But the pads look fine.
Those were my exact thoughts when I viewed pix..I think I changed out my rear pads around 10K.

·
Registered
8,265 Posts
Might want to start using front & rear brakes to stop. jmo

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Just looking for some opinions based on the pic of these brake pads on whether to change or not?

These are my original rear pads on a 2012 RGU.....OH AND 62,000 miles on it
exercise the lever, see if the caliber is operational, what's the rotor look like??

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use front and rear, fronts look the same, some extensive on the job training so not a lot of brake use but, lots of down shifting.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Very impressive being able to keep the same front and rear brake pads for 62K and to have them look almost new. I must assume you don't ride in the city much.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
You must be coasting to a stop most of the time.
I use my back brakes all the time along with downshifting and I replace the pads every time I put on a new rear tire. I never use the front brakes when doing a controlled stop, I do use the front brakes when there is a need for extra stopping power.
That just the way I ride, other riders use the front brake more than the back. The good news is that your rear brake pads are just fine so you don't need to change them.

·
Registered
329 Posts
2011 RGU with 17,000 miles. Just changed the front and rear using Lyndall pads. Bought the pads from HOGPRO. My front had some life left and my rear pads were almost new as I use my front brake 90% of the time. Took me 45 minutes to do the job and I had no issues. I'm going on a long cross country trip and figured I'd rather be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very impressive being able to keep the same front and rear brake pads for 62K and to have them look almost new. I must assume you don't ride in the city much.
Yes more long rides on the road than city driving I hate city riding and have had enough of that over the years.

No I don't coast while stopping again that comes from on the job training and always trying to be that one step ahead and using the gears and engine to slow down, also I'm not a real heavy braker. I use those dual discs up front for most of the primary braking, I guess if I divided it, it would be about 80% front and 20% rear most of the time. I guess I was more curious about the mileage others are getting out of their brakes

·
Registered
73 Posts
On my 2012 FLTRU I did change my front brake pads at 40,000 miles, back was fine, harley use rear breaks they where like your very good!! When I traded it in for my new 15 FLTRXS at 50,000 miles, but now I have these new brake that cycle both front and rear so I am sure I will need to change them more often I will be going in for my 20,000 mile tune up on Tuesday after Father's Day

·
Super Moderator
9,691 Posts
I got twenty k out of my original front and rear , changed all three at the same time , they still had some life left then , changed the rear last week had around 20k on them still could see the wear grooves but not much of them ..

Lucky ewe

JtB

1 - 13 of 13 Posts