Road Glide banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having an issue and my pist apes have me pist lol. I took the connector apart, shrinked everything good and tight and i have a metal blob at the end as all the connectors line up perfectly! i cant get them to make the turn, i ordered extensions and the wires will come out of the bars (17") so i could solder the end on it. anyway the inch that's rigid is whats killing me.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Which is why I am cutting and not pisting with the pins ;)

I don't mind soldering and since I have to extend the wires anyhow (have 17's coming too) I am cutting them and adding on. I actually enjoy soldering. A few beers and the iPod makes it a little more than a tolerable process.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
You are pulling them through the bars with something (like a piece of utility wire), right? Sometimes turning the bundle like a corkscrew at the grip end with one hand while you pull out the hole at the clamp with the other helps.

I had to lengthen mine, too, by soldering but I did that before I put them through the bar. I still pulled it through pins and all.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Which is why I am cutting and not pisting with the pins ;)

I don't mind soldering and since I have to extend the wires anyhow (have 17's coming too) I am cutting them and adding on. I actually enjoy soldering. A few beers and the iPod makes it a little more than a tolerable process.
thanks, i decided the frustration wasn't worth it, stagger cut them, hooked em up and right on through plenty out the bottom so ill solder my extensions on and done. Probably trust my solder better than a connector anyway.

spent an hour trying to make the first corner, pulled all the way through in 15 mins...

·
Registered
372 Posts
Good to hear. One thing I am debating is staggering the cuts. I did this with my Street Glide but had to as there was not enough wire to pull through the bars. I am thinking I can cut near the plug ends and pull through then just extend. Sure there will be clump where all the wires are soldered, but they won't be in the bars so I am not sure what the harm would be not staggering.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
thanks, i decided the frustration wasn't worth it, stagger cut them, hooked em up and right on through plenty out the bottom so ill solder my extensions on and done. Probably trust my solder better than a connector anyway.

spent an hour trying to make the first corner, pulled all the way through in 15 mins...
I ended up doing the same thing after multiple failed attempts of getting the pins past the 2 sharp corners of my bars. It took me a little while to get all the solder and heat shrink done but it came out good and everything has worked great so far! Took me all of 15-20 mins to get them through the bars after stagger cutting the wires......

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i used weed eater line, taped up each wire about a foot and a half apart lubed it all and worked it through undid each wire as it came through and kept working it, super fast without the connectors. Just soldered on the left side extensions, will do the other side tomorrow. then on to the stereo oh fun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts