Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind... blah, blah, blah. (With apologies to WS)

So, I wandered into my local HD dealership and sitting there as the bike that got me interested in the shark two years ago - the 2013 RGC CVO in Roman Gold/Emerald. I'd never seen one in person and it's even better looking than what I drooled over online.

It's pretty much dead mint with 8 k miles on it. I've been working with a salesman and we've got some decent numbers going. They came down on their price, give me very good money for my '13 RGC, threw in 3 more years of warranty and 10 years of maintenance. I can afford it but it's a lot of money, a higher payment for a longer time, blah, blah, blah.

I know all the argument for and against CVO's. What I'm looking for here I guess is feedback from CVO owners, especially 2013 CVO owners, about their experiences with theirs. Love it? Hate it? Would you do it over?

A couple concerns I have is the windshield - although it's different than the stock thumbnail I assume it's still a buffeting machine. I have the Mad Stad on mine and love that. I'm stripping all the goodies from my bike so I could put the Mad Stad on the CVO (I assume) but wonder how that will look. Also, I have come to really like having a driver's back rest. It doesn't look like my Mustang setup will work with the stock CVO seat. I would be taking my Hammock off the current bike but like the Mad Stad wonder about the look. With my current bike I'm more about function of looks but with the CVO it's such a great looking bike that I worry I might be bummed about changing things out too much. Then there's the handle bars. I put Heritage bars on mine (those will stay) but what about the CVO bars? They seem to be more like the Heritage bars anyway - are they?

Here's some direct questions for CVO owners:

How is/was the buffeting with your stock windshield?
Did you change your windshield?
Have you ever tried the Mad Stad on your CVO and if you did can you post photos?
Can you put a back rest on the CVO with the stock seat?
Did you change bars? Are the stock bars close to the Heritage bars?

And anything else you can provide would be great. I've talked to a few CVO owners that I've run into here and there in person and they mostly loved their bikes. One guy did say he recently sold his CVO because he just found he spent too much time cleaning it because he didn't want to leave a mark on it. I clean my bike regularly but I'm not militant about it.

So many considerations. I'm not interested in the argument about paying so much for a CVO when you can just customize your own for all that extra money and have something truly unique. I've done all I'll ever do to mine except for putting on a Stage One at some point and maybe some better shocks and front forks.

Thanks in advance for opinions from CVO owners, past or present!

·
Registered
208 Posts

So, I wandered into my local HD dealership and sitting there as the bike that got me interested in the shark two years ago - the 2013 RGC CVO in Roman Gold/Emerald. I'd never seen one in person and it's even better looking than what I drooled over online.

It's pretty much dead mint with 8 k miles on it. I've been working with a salesman and we've got some decent numbers going. They came down on their price, give me very good money for my '13 RGC, threw in 3 more years of warranty and 10 years of maintenance. I can afford it but it's a lot of money, a higher payment for a longer time, blah, blah, blah.

I know all the argument for and against CVO's. What I'm looking for here I guess is feedback from CVO owners, especially 2013 CVO owners, about their experiences with theirs. Love it? Hate it? Would you do it over?

A couple concerns I have is the windshield - although it's different than the stock thumbnail I assume it's still a buffeting machine. I have the Mad Stad on mine and love that. I'm stripping all the goodies from my bike so I could put the Mad Stad on the CVO (I assume) but wonder how that will look. Also, I have come to really like having a driver's back rest. It doesn't look like my Mustang setup will work with the stock CVO seat. I would be taking my Hammock off the current bike but like the Mad Stad wonder about the look. With my current bike I'm more about function of looks but with the CVO it's such a great looking bike that I worry I might be bummed about changing things out too much. Then there's the handle bars. I put Heritage bars on mine (those will stay) but what about the CVO bars? They seem to be more like the Heritage bars anyway - are they?

Have you ever tried the Mad Stad on your CVO and if you did can you post photos?

And anything else you can provide would be great. I've talked to a few CVO owners that I've run into here and there in person and they mostly loved their bikes. One guy did say he recently sold his CVO because he just found he spent too much time cleaning it because he didn't want to leave a mark on it. I clean my bike regularly but I'm not militant about it.

So many considerations. I'm not interested in the argument about paying so much for a CVO when you can just customize your own for all that extra money and have something truly unique. I've done all I'll ever do to mine except for putting on a Stage One at some point and maybe some better shocks and front forks.

Well I just purchased a new 2015 CVO, finally decided to bite the bullet and get her. As far as windshield performance and wind buffetting, it sucks compared to my 2002 FLHTCUI, really surprised at that fact but it is what it is. I really like the stability of the shark nose compared to the batwing but still getting used to the wind noise....... thinking about trying a freedom shield cause I just cannot get myself to purchase the Madstad, I don't like the look at all, I'm hoping the freedom shield performs better than the stock enough for me to not have to break down and buy what I consider to be one effin ulgy shield in that Madstad. My CVO stock seat came with the backrest, I removed it as soon as I got her home, I like being able to lean back when travel long distance and I also didn't like the feel of being pushed forward with the backrest installed. I rotated my stock bars forward until I decide what I would like to purchase to replace them with. Rolling the stock bars forward change the ride for the better.... Sig pic is all I really have right now, the shorty shield was replaced with the factory stock shield before I even left the dealership. still sucks for wind buffetting........... Still getting used to the fact of having a new bike, let alone a new CVO, I'm sure it's going to grow on me as soon as the weather breaks around here. Hope this helps and good luck!!!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I don't have answers to any of your questions. But I do know if the math worked for me I would snatch that bike up in a heartbeat. Simply put, one hell of a beautiful bike and such an uncommon paint scheme.

·
Registered
837 Posts

I have a 12 and love it!!:D

I'm 6'2", with the stock seat the shield is fine. When I put my hammock on for trips the shield is too low. I'm going to try a 14" Klock Werks as soon as I get my bike out.

I did buy a the stock shield in a 12" and it was a lot better but not perfect

I don't think the mad stad you have now will fit per madstads site

Not unless you do something custom. I know their is a guy who does it but can't remember who(You would have to search this site to find his info) For trips I put my Hammock on with an adjustable H-D rider backrest. I don't worry about the look because I also put on a Tour-Pak when the Hammock is on.

I believe the stock bars are Heritage bars. The only reason I changed them was because I wanted apes (wish I would've left the stock bars on.....)

Yes I clean my bike, but no more than any other bike I've owned. It's gets washed once a week or when it needs it, witch ever comes last.:)

I was one of the guys that thought CVO's where a waste of money until I saw my bike on the floor. I couldn't have picked a better paint scheme myself. Feel in love and had to have it. I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
One my second CVO shark but both of them are Ultras so I can't help with the backrest with your stock seat or the windshield either. Guys have put all kinds of different shield on them to get them to work. All depends on how you sit and your height, etc.

I think the bars on the classic are different from the non CVO bikes but then again, I'm not sure. I can tell you that it is a chore to keep them clean with all the extra chrome/blacked out parts that come on them. They're just one of those bikes that you hate to see dirty. I put 35k miles on my '11 in the three seasons I had it and loved every one of them.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts

'Have 3 CVOs, I like them for the paint and the bling (chrome, rims, rotors, etc...) for a well sorted Factory Effort.

The 110 has more power (and more heat too, but that is manageable with a pipe and Tune).

The aero is the same as your current bike. Vented Lowers makes the biggest difference in buffeting (and you don't have to run a friggin' Ugly windshield :eek:)

'Have the OE bars on all my bikes, so I wouldn't know...

I don't think the stock seat will accommodate a rider backrest...

Good luck with your decision!

·
Super Moderator
13,060 Posts
I don't have answers to any of your questions. But I do know if the math worked for me I would snatch that bike up in a heartbeat. Simply put, one hell of a beautiful bike and such an uncommon paint scheme.
I agree. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I can tell you that if I'd paid upwards of $40-large for a motorcycle, I'm not gonna tell anyone I don't like it......

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have a 2013 CVO Glide in Atomic Orange
I'm 6'3 so I ditch those short windows quickly
Yep, I always switch to a freedom shield. I go for function so I always get one that it high as the tip of my nose.
Have you ever tried the Mad Stad on your CVO and if you did can you post photos? No I haven't but there is no difference in a CVO Fairing and a 13 RGU fairing
Those 13 CVO seats are bar hopping seats. I Put a Hammock on mine. Looks good and you can do a backrest
I had Heritage Bars on My 13 RGU They seemed the same as the CVO bars

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
i have the same bike that you are looking at purchasing, in the same color. would i do it again? hell yes. the stock windshield is fine for me, but i'm short, 5'4''. i do put a 15'' windsplitter on in the winter time to block more cold air. never used a madstad. am happy enough with the stock shield to not subject myself to that :D

the stock seat is fine, and because i'm short, i haven't changed it out to anything else yet and ride all day long with no problems. and not just bar hopping either. there was a post over on the cvo site where someone found a guy who can modify the stock seat with a backrest, though it was kinda spendy. if i need a backrest, i just put the chopped tourpak on in the solo position and use that.

great wind management with lowers and space management for trips with a chopped tourpak. the wife rides her own, so my bike is solo only. between 4 saddlebags and 2 chopped tourpaks, if it doesn't fit, we don't need it.

if it still has the stock mufflers, take a look at the fullsac cvo recores. best performance is 2.0, but you can get them from 1.75 to 2.5 inches.

if you want to change bars, be aware that the stock bars are true 1.25 inch bars. there is no step down in the clamping area so you would either have to buy new risers/topclamp or the 1.25 adapter from wild1 which will allow you to run stepped bars. or you might get lucky and find bars with a 1.25 clamping area. unfortunately, the stock bars are a good couple inches shorter than the heritage bars. but, they are better than the regular stock fltrx bars, kind of in the middle i guess.

if you need anything painted (for example, fairing lowers), i recommend joe z at xtreme dimension in sicklerville nj. he is a wizard at matching the cvo paint, and does it for a great price, and quick turnaround. he did my fairing lowers, in the cvo theme instead of just going with the hd full solid burnt emerald. looks much better, imo.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I can tell you that if I'd paid upwards of $40-large for a motorcycle, I'm not gonna tell anyone I don't like it......
Why does their have to be a negative comment in every thread????? He wasn't looking for your opinion as you don't have a CVO.

·
Registered
538 Posts
According to the Madstad web-site:

NOTE: If you have a 2010 or up Screaming Eagle (CVO) Road Glide, please indicate this in the "Bike year, make, model" field. Your fairing is a little larger than the standard Glide fairing and the MadStad adapter plate is different.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts

NOTE: If you have a 2010 or up Screaming Eagle (CVO) Road Glide, please indicate this in the "Bike year, make, model" field. Your fairing is a little larger than the standard Glide fairing and the MadStad adapter plate is different.
now this i don't understand. the fairing on my bike is pn 58733-98B, which indicates that it's been in use since 1998. it also happens to be the same part number that is on my wife's 2012 fltrx, and was on my 2010 fltrx. so how can it be bigger?

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
now this i don't understand. the fairing on my bike is pn 58733-98B, which indicates that it's been in use since 1998. it also happens to be the same part number that is on my wife's 2012 fltrx, and was on my 2010 fltrx. so how can it be bigger?
Dunno but the debate has been on for a couple of years now. There are members here that have put a regular one on a CVO and vice versa without issues.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dunno but the debate has been on for a couple of years now. There are members here that have put a regular one on a CVO and vice versa without issues.
I'm test riding the CVO on Wednesday. I'll be bringing my bike there so I'll (attempt to) swap it out and let everyone know here whether it works or not!

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I swapped out my shield for a 14" WV-- love it.

Swapped out the bars for 14" outlaws- love them (sometimes wish I had gone taller)

Have swapped out other things and added lowers.

I have tried aftermarket driver back rest but could not dial them in right. Been awhile so don't recall the brand. Still sorta looking.

I love my skunk and will keep it and just add bikes to my garage. I am very attached. If you like the bike, get it, you can still make it your own. If not, or you like the process of "really making it your own", do that. All good!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
There is no difference in the fairings, in '10 the MoCo changed the mounting brackets for the fairing (tilts the fairing up in the rear around an inch or so)

·
Registered
4,316 Posts

I'm running the same Madstad windshield on my 2012 CVO that I had in my 2010 RG Custom. The fairing IS the same.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
There is no difference in the fairings, in '10 the MoCo changed the mounting brackets for the fairing (tilts the fairing up in the rear around an inch or so)
yes, this i know. i was just remarking on how someone else had said that the fairings on the cvo were larger than the non-cvo counterparts. i was saying that i didn't understand how, since they have the same part number......

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
By this time tomorrow I will have ridding the CVO and likely know whether or not I will buy it. Thanks to all for the opinions. If you've got any last minute advice, chime in now!

I'll update tomorrow evening.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts