Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On my 2020 RGS I have the H-D stage 2 with the TQ cam. Along with the pro street tuner and wide band auto module. I have 4 dealers within an hour from me and they split right down the middle. Two saying I will get better results with a dyno tune and 2 saying it is not worth it.

With H-D staying within the EPA requirements, I do not see how I would gain that much to make it worth wild for the cost.

·
Registered
544 Posts
“worth it” is always an interesting question.

It’s worth noting that no mods, but the addition of a Powervision or similar tuner and having your bike tuned by a professional will generally yield improved HP/TQ numbers. From the factory they are all set to a baseline that the EPA is happy with. There is more that can be pulled from even a stock motor.

That said, it will likely come down to a few HP/TQ point improvements with a straight HD Stage II cam and pro street tuner. If you want to maximize your performance output and get everything possible out of the engine, you should have a professional dyno tune it, and replace the Pro Street tuner with a Powervision or similar tuner (whatever tuner you pro is most familiar with). If you are happy with the butt dyno results from the set HD Stage II and tune though then it may not be worth another $600+ for a different tuner and tuning sessions... only you can decide if its “worth it” to spend more and get a little more but when I do engine mods I want everything I can get from the upgrade so I have it dyno tuned.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
wouldn't worry too much about it until you're ready to ditch the SE Street Tuner and go with something that a good dyno guy can actually make the right changes with. Ultimately it boils down to the tech that will be doing the tuning. You can spend the money on the PV or TMax or whatever but if the person doing the programming isn't that good you still won't maximize your investment. If you're sticking with the SE ST because of the warranty I would say save the cash for a later date when you can put a real tuner on there and get it dyno'd by someone that can make it worth your money. Not to say one of those dealerships doesn't have a guy but do the research and find out.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Not worth it if you're staying with the S/E tuner and keeping warranty-compliant.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I had a really great 2010 RoadGlide S darkhorse bottom ,Fueling HPI, TB,woods cams, all the best for a numbers matching V-twin Dealer built knew the back room from prior bikes and it went great Dyno 106 hp 112 tq. With a power vision.A couple of seasons on the build went to Fuel Moto for a redyno I was expecting huge gains even though heads were stock came back with a custom map 104 hp. 116 tq. But it ran better if that makes sense, cooler temp ,better throttle.Ran that build for 2 more seasons traded with 16000 worry free miles.
Upgraded to a 2020 RoadGlide S stage 2 torque cam, power duals, ventilator elite intake,pro street tuner AND a smart tune.At 63 I could not be happier.Rides like a dream plenty of power warranty etc.I dont feel like it needs a Dyno.I kept my power vision for the future just in case. Unless your going to do a proBuilt big inch motor save your dollars.You have a great bike
HappyThanksgiving

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Save your money and I will tell you why. Your bike probably runs just fine right now and if you opt for the dealer to dyno tune it 2 things will happen.....you will either feel nothing or you will convince yourself that you feel something even though there were no gains to be had by dynoing it. I have a similar setup to you, includes the SEPST, Wideband module, 447 Torque cam, Stage I intake and an S&S Sidewinder 2-1 exhaust. The only issue I have with mine is I get a little popping from the exhaust while shifting. This will be taken care of when I run some auto tune sessions, I just haven't done it yet. You can run auto tune sessions yourself and tighten up your map some but unless you have an issue such as a backfire you will probably get no noticeable results. The only way to find out is to do it and compare the auto tune session to what the bike is presently running and see how drastic any of the changes are. Going back to the dealer doing it, more than likely they are either going to tell you they did it and didn't do anything because the bike already runs tits and this is where you con yourself into thinking it's better OR they will do auto tune runs on the dyno in a controlled environment and do what you can do on the road, possibly just a tad better. They might even mess with the throttle sensitivity to make it a tad more responsive.

At the end of the day it's your $ so spend it how you please but I say auto tune it yourself and enjoy.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All, thanks for the info, I am leaving it alone. It runs very well and I am good with it.

·
Registered
2020 FLTRXS
20 Posts
All, thanks for the info, I am leaving it alone. It runs very well and I am good with it.
I made the same decision after doing the 131 kit with auto tuner. I realize it is going to be really good but within limits that are good for HD warranty wise and possibly emissions. After the warranty period, I'll like do a PowerVision and think the Dyno spend will be worth it for dialing in the performance map and the high MPG map. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Pretty much what everybody said above, I would wait, your rides runs good now, leave it alone, if warranty is a factor. With that said, you said you have stage two, so obviously a air cleaner and mufflers, I would replace the head pipe, and get rid of the cat, then get yourself a better tuner like a power vision or tts, which in the right hands can do more than just tune, like remove the limiter, then I would take it to a Dyno tuner and have it really tuned.
I did exactly that with my 17 SGS, and it ran solid as it gets. I now have a 2020 RGL, and I just put my mufflers and VH intake on and put the Stage I tune from HD on my sepst. That's as good as it is going to get for me, short of a couple auto tune sessions, because I do not want to void my warranty. Probably a year and a half down the road I will replace the cam, and head pipe and then take it to a Dyno guy again. I would love to get a new license on my power vision for this bike now, but I will wait.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts