Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok..... its all done but i have a radio flash question. Rockford Fosgate PBR 300x 4 amp and Rockford Fosgate speakers. It plays but i have not turned the volume up. Because i dont know if i need to have the dealer flash or change the settings or something because i now have an amp?? The stealerships have been no help for me?

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Having recently been through the same I can tell you that you have four options (in no particular order and I'm not advocating one over the other).

1. Dealer flash
2. No flash
3. Magic Box
4. Biketronics BT355

After so many horror stories hit and miss on the dealer flash I decided from the beginning that I probably wouldn't be going that route, and for better or worse I didn't go that route.

I contemplated the Magic Box, but then BT released the BT355 and in my opinion that almost makes the Magic Box obsolete.

After I finished my amp and speaker upgrade I rode it just like that for around 100 miles and decided that instead of screwing anything up I was going to leave it exactly the way it was. It might not be perfect but it is magnitudes better than the stock setup.

From what I have heard and read you almost have to have the dealer flash the stock HU before you go monkeying around with anything (i.e. changing speakers or adding amp), and it looks to me like many dealerships will only perform the flash if you're going with Harley's boom stuff.

There are lots of guides on how to properly adjust your amp gain, so whether you are going to do it by ear, DMM, o-scope or test tones, choose your poison and go for it. Then decide from there if any more effort or money is warranted.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have 4 of the JBLs hooked up to the RF PBR 300x4. Set amp: high pass, front and rear gains at minimum, head unit to 75% volume, increase front and rear gains until distortion (mine is a little over half), turn gain down a bit, ride. Mine sounds great at 80 mph on a 6 lane highway full of traffic.

·
Registered
408 Posts
my logic is it's easier for me to spend $70 on the Biketronics Line Leveler than spend a couple hours at the dealer waiting on a flash (my dealer is always busy, took 2 weeks to schedule my last service!)

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
"This special J&M/Harley Infotainment radio FLASH will lower the output of the radio itself, flatten out the internal EQ settings, activate the plug-in rear output channels, activate front/rear fader control, maintain Bass/Treble/AVC controls & optimize the overall output signal ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, for use with J&M ROKKER & Performance series amplifiers, along with most other non-Harley brand amplifiers."

Why lower the output of the radio itself unless you are using the high level inputs? I'm using a fairly generic Metra line level converter and I've scoped my radio output only and there isn't any clipping until I hit volume level 15 and even then it is minimal clear up to max volume.

I respect that you want to drive business to your company, but my recommendation doesn't change. If the dealer has never flashed your radio, and you're running software version 1.19.1 there isn't any harm in properly setting your gains and then giving it a ride before dumping any more money into the audio system.

I've had my stereo / amp combination on an oscilloscope for literally hours and I know what my measurements and my ears are telling me. I'm just not convinced that spending another $75 or more is worth the investment. If you know how to set your gains and adjust your amp frequencies you can get a reasonably good sounding audio system without spending a grand or more.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I installed the jl audio hx280/4 amp and an LOC on my 15. I had the dealer flash and it made a world of difference. My question is:

has anyone had an issue with what is best explained as "blowing the tweeters" of the speakers? They just started to sound muffled. I have had this happen twice now. Once on a set of Morel ultra integra 6.5 and now on a set of Hertz mpx 6.5.

I've received some info to have the head unit reflashed to 2 speakers instead of 4 but I just wanted to know if anyone else had this issue.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
We always flash before amp and speaker installs.. From my research the BT Line levelers work. Magic box is crap dont waste your money..

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
We always flash before amp and speaker installs.. From my research the BT Line levelers work. Magic box is crap dont waste your money..
I had a little bit of left over Christmas money so I ordered the Biketronics BT355 line output converter today. We'll see if it's everything it's cracked up to be. I hope so. $69 is a decent chunk of change for a passive LOC.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I had a little bit of left over Christmas money so I ordered the Biketronics BT355 line output converter today. We'll see if it's everything it's cracked up to be. I hope so. $69 is a decent chunk of change for a passive LOC.
It will work, it is a good product..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts