Road Glide banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been talking to everyone I can find with knowledge of audio and lower speakers lately. I've gotten every opinion from put in good speakers and a good amp and it will be awesome, to the sound from the lowers will get lost at higher speeds. Anyone with good lower speakers care to comment on that?

It has got me to thinking that maybe I just want to get some really great fairing speakers and forget about putting some in the lowers...I'm not sure.

Since my CVO already has tweeters in 2 gauge holes, I was looking at the "The Bagger Nation OEM “Ultimate” 150/T-3 Component" kit, it can be seen here : http://www.baggernation.com/products-stereo.htm
Does anyone have experience with that?

Any opinions on would I be happier with really quality stuff in just the fairing or will speakers in the lowers also completely out do that?(My dealer service guy recommended just upgrading the fairing to rock out and not spending more money on the lowers)

I'm having a hard time finding actual people around here that have performed performance audio upgrades, they all seem to be near stock bagger guys that I can find.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Go for it I put the Rev7 kit from Hogtunes. The lower doors are a pita thought about getting locking ones till I saw the price. I have yet to test them cause of the snow but they do point up towards you and sound good in the garage.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
If your not going to push them with an amp,.. then don't bother. Im running Rokkers in my lowers being pushed by the 250w J&M amp, and It makes my music more full. The way I adjust and move a lot on the bike, I can clearly hear my music at all time, where before sometimes it would get lost.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I do not have lowers too freakin HOT here however I have heard enough bikes with them. Make sure you power them with some type of amp or u r wasting your time. Next I agree with chain it will give a more full sound. The last cut the inner fairing and put a 3rd set in there .... I promise you won't want to get off that sucker! :cool:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Can't comment on speakers in the lowers - but 2 sets of component speakers in the Road Glide Faring is a BIG improvement over 2 in the fairing. While I suspect 2 in the lowers would be similar - those speakers are a little down and away as compared to a set in the inner fairing. As to Yaffe's kit - I am sure it is quality, but there are other options as well.

I would get an amp that has outputs for 2 sets of speakers. I have a JL Audio 400/4. It is a fantastic amp - I have it mounted on top of my Sony head unit in the fairing.

http://www.jlaudio.com/xd400-4-car-audio-xd-amplifiers-98261

I am running 2 sets of JL Audio ZR650-CSi speakers - one set behind the OEM speaker grills, the other set in the inner fairing (had to modify the fairing pockets). Was fortunate to find these used.....

http://www.jlaudio.com/zr650-csi-car-audio-zr-speaker-systems-91122

I had an ARC audio setup with their mini amp and a one set of their component speakers, but could not hear anything at speeds much over 50MPH (I wear a full faced helmet). I sold those components and had the JL Audio system installed - now can hear at speeds in excess of ....

Many folks have and like Hawg Wired systems.

Just my opinion - I would not spend the $$ you are looking at without getting a powerful amp that can drive 2 sets of component speakers - even if you don't initially get the second set. And I would replace the stock head unit...

Pics of my system are in this thread (post 14):

http://www.roadglide.org/showthread.php?t=28522&page=2

·
JMJOHN
1,002 Posts
Regardless of what brand of audio components you choose for your Harley, remember a few important points ,,,,,

90% of what you are going to hear at 75+ mph on the highway, is going to be from speakers mounted in front of you, not behind you ,,,,,

I would upgrade your system by the following steps to maximize the sound per $$$ spent ,,,,,

Upgrade the stock fairing speakers first ,,,, ((and of course the J&M 7.25" speakers are a great choice, either the 'J&M Performance series or the ROKKER XT series)) ,,,,,

then add an amp to the upgraded fairing speakers ,,,,,,,, the more power the amp provides, the louder the sound, as a "general" rule ,,,,,

then add lower fairing speakers, the larger the better, and connect them also to the amp ,,,,,, (((a four channel amp connected to the 4 upper & lower fairing speakers will be slightly louder than using a two channel amp of the same power output)) ,,,,,

when you have all of that accomplished, then it makes sense to start putting $$$ into rear pod or saddlebag speakers, subwoofers etc ,,,,

these videos will also offer more information ,,,,,,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmzDOMX32gA ,,,,,,,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJj7CrxUTts ,,,,,,

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
If your not going to push them with an amp,.. then don't bother. Im running Rokkers in my lowers being pushed by the 250w J&M amp, and It makes my music more full. The way I adjust and move a lot on the bike, I can clearly hear my music at all time, where before sometimes it would get lost.
CHAINSAW,

'Am in process of installing 7.25 Rokker XTs in vented lowers to go with the 7.25 Rokkers in the fairing (I was one of the guys that bought Rokkers, only to have the XTs come out a week later~oh well)

'Thinking about the Rokker 250w amp to drive the 4 Rokkers,

What is your opinion of the sound quality? is the 250w enough power? have you had any issues w/the J&M products? Would you do anything different???

Thanks

·
Registered
115 Posts
i put polk 6.5's in my fairing and lowers with a fosgate amp. i dont really hear the lowers when on the highway, but certainly do when around town.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
CHAINSAW,

'Am in process of installing 7.25 Rokker XTs in vented lowers to go with the 7.25 Rokkers in the fairing (I was one of the guys that bought Rokkers, only to have the XTs come out a week later~oh well)

'Thinking about the Rokker 250w amp to drive the 4 Rokkers,

What is your opinion of the sound quality? is the 250w enough power? have you had any issues w/the J&M products? Would you do anything different???

Thanks
IMO, yes the 250w is enough for me, and I love loud music. J&M has great customer service, and I know that first hand. I had some problems in the past, but we got it all ironed out and John @ J&M was great in dealing with me and my problems. A couple times it was my own dumb fault, and they stil stood behind their products and took care of me. I would not hesitate to do it all again.
I will tell you that in my case,.. the stock headunit made the biggest difference to my ears. I had the original 7.25" J&Ms, then cashed them in on the Rokkers when they came out. Now they have the XTs, but Im happy with the regular rokkers and have not had any problems for a year now. I've had the 250w since they came out as well, never had any problems with it, but sent it back the last time so they could get the settings perfect since I had melted a couple sets of speakers.
On your head unit, you can sell your stock one on ebay between $350 and $400 (if it works) then turn around and buy a Sony DSX-M60, biketronics kit for around $350 as well and have a better sounding system. So dollar for dollar, you get a better sounding system by switching out head units.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
IMO, yes the 250w is enough for me, and I love loud music. J&M has great customer service, and I know that first hand. I had some problems in the past, but we got it all ironed out and John @ J&M was great in dealing with me and my problems. A couple times it was my own dumb fault, and they stil stood behind their products and took care of me. I would not hesitate to do it all again.
I will tell you that in my case,.. the stock headunit made the biggest difference to my ears. I had the original 7.25" J&Ms, then cashed them in on the Rokkers when they came out. Now they have the XTs, but Im happy with the regular rokkers and have not had any problems for a year now. I've had the 250w since they came out as well, never had any problems with it, but sent it back the last time so they could get the settings perfect since I had melted a couple sets of speakers.
On your head unit, you can sell your stock one on ebay between $350 and $400 (if it works) then turn around and buy a Sony DSX-M60, biketronics kit for around $350 as well and have a better sounding system. So dollar for dollar, you get a better sounding system by switching out head units.
Hope that helps.
Yea, the HK is a POS, the SounDesign (stock) unit in my '05 SEEG w/plain old J&Ms has much better audio quality! ('think it's the amplifier section in the HK)

I'm still trying to make a decision on swapping the head unit, I am sure that I'm thinkin' bass ackwards as I might do that after the lowers / amp.

One last question...

Up to what speed will this lowers / amp setup give me good, full, clear sound? (I have the aero dialed in to my liking)

Anybody with lower speakers, PLEASE chime in.

Thanks,
HeatWave

·
Registered
875 Posts
Went with RF PBR30x2, parallel setup for ZX's in stock position and Pioneer in inner fairing. Weather hasn't cooperated since I did upgrade, so not to much time in saddle. I am going to replace HK as soon as budget allows.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
I really gotta quit reading these threads. Especially on an overtime heavy paycheck. I have a 2011 FLTRUSE that has the stock boom audio setup.
Looking for better/louder sound at highway speed as I have a 45 mile each way commute during riding season. It has the stock amp under the tour pack along with the integrated iPod set up. I believe it's the 1 ohm system. I'm not too worried about the rear speakers as I can't hear the things anyway although my better half doesn't have any problems with them. Is it possible to change the front fairing speakers and add lower speakers while maintaining all the stock functions of the HK unit along with the iPod setup? Run 4 front speakers off of an amp maybe and leave the rears alone? I'd rather have a plug and play setup so I can move it to a new RG whenever that happens.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
One last question...

Up to what speed will this lowers / amp setup give me good, full, clear sound? (I have the aero dialed in to my liking)

Thanks,
HeatWave
Thats a trick question,.. becaues the music I listen you,.. you can't understand a word of what they are growling :) Depending on wind noise of what shield Im running, I'd say I can clearly hear full music up to 80 mph. I can hear it past that no problem, but the noise of the bike, the wind, and everything else really brings down the quality past that. Not to mention Im half deaf,.. so Im not really a good person to ask. :D

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Thats a trick question,.. becaues the music I listen you,.. you can't understand a word of what they are growling :) Depending on wind noise of what shield Im running, I'd say I can clearly hear full music up to 80 mph. I can hear it past that no problem, but the noise of the bike, the wind, and everything else really brings down the quality past that. Not to mention Im half deaf,.. so Im not really a good person to ask. :D
"Karnack" (The Magnificant~from The Johnny Carson Show) you are correct, 80 was the number I was thinking!!

I will put the lowers / speakers on, when Gunslinger paints them, and have J&M install the amp, either at Daytona or Thunder Beach.

Thanks Again!!!
HeatWave

1 - 16 of 16 Posts