Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 06 RG with an 88" that I had some motor work done to about 2 years ago...added big bore kit to make it a 97", fuel management, zippers air, performance exhaust, gear drive cams (Andrews 50), dynos at 96HP and nice curve at 96TQ but most of the power comes on around 2,800rpm. Fun to ride now but thinking i want more lower end torque.

Am debating another upgrade to the motor as I prefer the styling of the older RG versus 2015's. Stopped at my motor builders to discuss port/polish heads, roller rockers, and changing to Andrews 57 cams to get some lower end torque without loosing upper end. He states that would help some but is recommending to stroke the motor to a 106" instead and stay with the 50 cams. He says HP would only raise to around 100-105 but torque would increase to 110-115 and give a lot more on the lower end for day to day riding. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
There's no substitute for cubic inches.

If you decide to increase the stroke, the S&S Crank is the way to go...

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
As mentioned there is no substitute for cubic in, but with the right cam your 97" will make riding your Harley fun again. Over caming a street driven Harley defeats the purpose of the v-twins design and is the most reoccurring complaint from owners. Big cams need big cubes and a lot more of your money.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have a 06 RG with an 88" that I had some motor work done to about 2 years ago...added big bore kit to make it a 97", fuel management, zippers air, performance exhaust, gear drive cams (Andrews 50), dynos at 96HP and nice curve at 96TQ but most of the power comes on around 2,800rpm. Fun to ride now but thinking i want more lower end torque.

Am debating another upgrade to the motor as I prefer the styling of the older RG versus 2015's. Stopped at my motor builders to discuss port/polish heads, roller rockers, and changing to Andrews 57 cams to get some lower end torque without loosing upper end. He states that would help some but is recommending to stroke the motor to a 106" instead and stay with the 50 cams. He says HP would only raise to around 100-105 but torque would increase to 110-115 and give a lot more on the lower end for day to day riding. Thoughts?

Being that you have liked the current build a simple 103,106, 107 style kit will build great low end power. Not be over costly to build ( 117 cylinder kit is 900 dollars approx by itself on top of the crank) A 106 with a ES 570 cam mild head work simple bolt on throttle body will make 115/115 + on pump gas at a whopping 10.2 compression. A 117 is a great build but do not forget the extras you need .. Good luck..

·
Registered
325 Posts
You would be surprised what you could get out of your 97 by having the heads massaged by a pro, like Hillside, I have seen these builds set at 10-1 with S&S 570's go 100/110. Pipe selection is paramount.

Sure, adding more cubes will add more power, and if money isn't an issue, then by all means rock on.

·
Registered
593 Posts
You've got tons of options depending on your budget. Be realistic about ALL the costs associated with tearing into your motor, and maybe a new crate motor makes more sense. And depending on your actual riding style, you might be happy with a heads/cam change.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
You would be surprised what you could get out of your 97 by having the heads massaged by a pro, like Hillside, I have seen these builds set at 10-1 with S&S 570's go 100/110. Pipe selection is paramount.

Sure, adding more cubes will add more power, and if money isn't an issue, then by all means rock on.

Yep.
The very first time we ever used that .570 cam was when Jim Kennedy tuned that 98"/ 10.0 cr/our heads/Rhinehart duals, about 3 years ago. Client was from Tennesee.
107/114, std, if I remember correctly?
Just installed that cam last week in a 2009 RG CVO 110", set at 10.0 cr, with a 30T trans sprocket......snappy combo.:)
RG combo this week was a 2015 S/E 110" Fatcat/58mm/Stage I 110" headwork/Wood 777's at 10.5 cr...........REAL snappy.:)
Scott

·
Registered
16 Posts
Faced with this same decision, I opted for a 2013 Ultra with a 103 motor. World of difference. Torque out the wazoo. Able to climb trees now with no problem. (slight exaggeration for effect)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Check out my post and specs. on my 107 build . I couldn't be happier.
Thanks for the information and glad you got your bike straightened out eventually.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Faced with this same decision, I opted for a 2013 Ultra with a 103 motor. World of difference. Torque out the wazoo. Able to climb trees now with no problem. (slight exaggeration for effect)
A 2013 isn't an option for me. With my current set-up I outrun my brothers 2013 RG custom with stage 1 on the drag strip (1/4 mile in Martin Michigan) and in top speed. If I upgrade to the 106" that should ensure I will stay in front of him too. :<)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With an S&S 4 3/8" crank and a set of S&S 4 1/8" cylinders you could be at 117".
You probably won't want for more.
We build a lot of these.:)
Scott
The 117" sounds like great fun but my budget won't allow it. Probably leaning towards the 106" since the complete install will be around $3,500 and it will gain me the lower end torque I am looking for.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
When S&S first brought those 4 1/2" arm set-ups to market, years ago, we installed quite a few of them.
Clients were always very happy.
Combined with the proper cam/heads/intake/pipe they can be VERY formidable.:)
Scott

·
Registered
111 Posts
Check out Casey's bike shop straight forward guy with no BS. Great to deal with

On the build the 4 3/8 is by far a great way to go with a simple 106 or 107 kit heck even a 103 with cast piston is still a solid power builder. You do NOT have to get crazy in the build to have good low end power . In fact adding the parts that many dealer try to sell you is a HP deal. SO what if the set up only makes 100 to 105 hp. Look at the tq curve in a SAE sheet. Some very simple build will yields great tq curves.

This is a buddys bike. He swapped the crank to 4 3/8 SE cast pistons, bored the cylinders stock heads andrews 54 conversion kit stock t/b and kep his old True dual. He did swap to a 2-1 latter. But the point is a very basic low budget build that produced great low end power for low dollars :D Just think what a 106 with the 570 would do. I bet 104 hp and 115 tq no issues:eek:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts