Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After losing close to 100 lbs since September 2011 and keeping myself at a stable weight I figured it was time to tackle the next unhealthy thing in my life. Smoking.

I have been a pack a day smoker for 26 years. I have quite several times cold turkey but always find my way back. Was never one for trying things like the patch or gum. And Chantix was out of the question. So I decided to dabble with electronic cigarettes. I started with a readily available Blu disposable from the local smoke shop. Liked the taste and the feeling. Figured it might be something that would work. So I started researching various e-cig companies and found one with reasonable prices and good reviews. Ordered up a started kit and so far it is working great. I get my nicotine fix without the 1000's of toxins and carcinogens. It also helps with the oral fixation and hand to mouth addiction which I think was one of my biggest issues with quitting in the past. I have not had a single craving for a regular cigarette since starting these. And I had a single pack left that has remained untouched. My eventual plan is the quit these completely too. But I can always have them to use as an emergency fix for those stressful days without bumming a smoke and going back to a life I hated.

Also another good thing is coming from this. I got my mom, a menthol smoker for 50+ years, to give it a shot. So far it is working for her too. She started at the same time as me. She has had a few regular cigs during this time. But all in all she is doing great.

If anyone wants info on the company I chose and a way to get 15% off your first order from them hit me up via PM. Don't want this thread to look like an infomercial. ;)

Or if you need any questions answered fell free to ask away here in the thread

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
One day at a time. Good job. Over 35 years for me. Keep it up!!!

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Great job! Think of all the extra $$$ you'll have for mods!

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Awesome I'm glad it's working for you my problem is skoal I've tried a few things with no luck but now I have four grandsons who are always asking papa why do you put that in your mouth and now one of them has started spitting he's six so I think something's needs to change. Good luck to you and your mom I hope I'm next

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Shark of the Month October 13
6,951 Posts
Congrats with losing 100 lbs. and now doing something to get off cigarettes. That's terrific! I smoked heavy menthols (Kools) for about 25 years. I finally got up the courage to quit 17+ years ago. I did the patch for 2 weeks and then decided to do it cold turkey. Living long enough to see my daughter graduate college, get married, etc. was my motivation. It was hard for sure but I made it and you will too if you want it bad enough. Keep up the good work.

Now I have to lose at least 70 lbs. For me, the over eating thing will be a much harder habit for me to break than smoking. That's how I got to be 316 lbs.

Good luck on your quest to quit smoking and the same to your mom.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Congrats on the E-Cig!! My wife has been strictly E-Cig for 6 months and her health is improving dramatically. Myself on the other hand, I'm at about 50/50 right now, heavy menthol smoker as well. I'm hoping to go 100% once riding season is fully in swing because I don't smoke nearly as much in the summer... tried smoking riding down the road... ended badly. :p

Any steps you make are steps in the right direction, keep it up.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I Am A SMOKER and with the help of the road glide i will probably never touch one again.

I used to dip from the time I got up untill I went to bed at night. Got off the copenhagen by smoking the womans cigarettes. Sure I would quit smoking but I'd be dipping again. This went on for years, didn't consitter myself a smoker, I was just getting off the copenhagen.

Last september I realized I was a smoker and There was no way I was ever going quit, up to 2 packs a day. I decided to see if I could make it till noon without a smoke, Got on the bike and took off first thing in the morning and wound my way up to the Cherohala sky way and 4 to 6 runs thru the dragon and back to the house, good 300 mile day and I made it without a smoke. (riding the twisties kept my mind off it MOST of the day). Figured I'd see if I could hold off and smoke one after I did the same ride the next day,

I did the same ride for a week so I could just put it off till the ride was done the next day.

Six month later I still consitter myself a smoker, I just wont smoke one untill tomorrow. I say this to myself every day and so far so good. I thought I was going to break down the other day when the woman asked me to light her one, I did and It was nasty so I guess I don"t need it anymore, or at least untill tomorrow.

This works for me and it might help anyone else trying to quit,. It is tough so good luck.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Good luck Garm I am glad thats working for you I have had a few customers that have used those with great success

·
Registered
593 Posts
Good luck, brother! Keep it up!! As most have said....ONE DAY AT A TIME!
Props to the admins again for creating this sub forum. It could save someone's life some day and that's something each person on here should be proud of!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Congrats to you and your Mom!! Cool that you found something that works in your quest to quit!! Chantix did it for me but, as you said, it's not for everyone.

Keep it up!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Congrats to you and if you made it 2 weeks you can make it 2 months and so on. I quit cold turkey a little over 14 years ago and still get tempted occasionally.

·
Registered
891 Posts
WAY TO GO!!!!! The hardest part is already behind you. You can tackle tomorrow when it comes - but for today - just focus on TODAY. After 35 years of addiction to Marlboro's I thought for sure I wouldn't be able to quit but here I am, 10 years smoke free. You've got this Roadglide family behind you all the way!!!!

Now if i could lose a few pounds too.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
April 1st will be 3 years for me, I quit cold turkey but with the help of some pain meds while healing a broken leg. I can tell if you quit the nicotine today its gonna take at least 6mo before the cravings go away, and longer than that becore the habitual part goes away. Im think im finally past the point of wanting a smoke everytime i see someone smoking. Ive also really come to the realization of how nasty the habit was. Never thought it was that bad, but now i can smell a smoker or but can from 10ft away.

·
Registered
8,265 Posts
Good luck. Just keep telling your self your quiting. Keep putting the money your saving in a can so you can spend it on something for you, like RG MODS :)

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Congrats! Keep it up and before you know it you will be smoke free for the rest of your life. Food will taste better ( sometimes not a good thing :) your BP will drop along with your heart rate, decrease in cardiovascular disease, and more importantly, no more damn coughing!

X smoker Bob

1 - 20 of 35 Posts