Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tire Sky Vehicle Wheel Fuel tank

Time to brush the dust off the Moto Guzzi, find some curvy back roads and enjoy the ride! First decision was where to eat, and then the second decision was find the curvy back roads with little to know traffic that will eventually get me to my destination. Every time I have stopped for photos I was all alone and could take my time.

Plant Window Tire Wheel Building

I hadn't been in Pritchard's Distillery in about 18 months so I decided to stop in and see if they had anything new.

Sky Building Window Tire Wood

This building is an old schoolhouse that they repurposed for the offices, bottling, and retail area. There is a separate metal building that houses the still and warehouse for the aging.

Bottle Product Drinking establishment Barware Table

The person on duty must have been leading a tour so I was all alone with all those bottles. :devilish: Even if I were tempted I figured they probably had cameras about. They give free tastings so no big deal. I do recall them telling me something about one of the few places that distills rum that is not on an island, thus the sign above the bottles.

Tire Wheel Plant Sky Automotive tire

When I left out of Pritchard's I noticed some new pavement so instead of turning where I normally do I decided to follow the fresh pavement. Well, as I came over a rise the yellow lines ran out. At first I thought it was a chip and seal road, but no it is gravel. As you can see from my tires I rode onto it before getting slowed down enough to turn around.

Tire Plant Sky Wheel Cloud

Here is a photo from where I came from. Time to backtrack a little.

Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive lighting

Another nice surprise was that the road I should have taken was also recently repaved and very enjoyable to ride on the Guzzi.

Wheel Tire Plant Fuel tank Vehicle

If relevant, I take a photo of where I am going and where I came from when stopped. A nice combination of curves.

Tire Sky Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank

The name of the road I ended up on is called Crystal Ridge Road. This was the only place along the ridge where the trees were cleared for a nice view of the valley where Jack Daniels Distillery is located. If you zoom in you might make out some of the barrel storage barns used for aging.

Tire Sky Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank

Almost at my food stop and definitely worked up an appetite running the curves!

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Lunch destination on the square in Lynchburg, TN.

Sky Wheel Tire Building Vehicle

Made myself a parking spot right in front of my table.

Wheel Car Tire Sky Vehicle

Watching all the bike riding around the courthouse, and talked with visitors from as far away as California! The Moto Guzzi attracted some attention. Those that knew motorcycles mentioned not seeing one of those in a while. Some tourists asked to take photos of it. Some of the country guys talking to each other saying things like "what is that?" One guy said my engine was in there sideways. :)

Food Tableware Table Dishware Ingredient

Wonderful tasting smoked sausage sandwich with peppers, onions, and provolone cheese, plus a side of red beans and rice, and an Arnold Palmer.

Wheel Tire Sky Fuel tank Vehicle

After lunch, I need to digest a little for hitting the road so I pulled up to the Indian T-shirt and accessory store around the corner from the Harley Davidson T-shirt and accessory store. Of course Indian has a partnership with Jack Daniels so they had the better location with the old gas pumps out front. While I was taking a break a rider on an Indian Scout struck up a conversation about bikes and like a stray dog he decided to follow me on the back roads after I regaled him with stories of my ride to Lynchburg.

Tire Wheel Sky Window Property

Nice little Indian scout. Stopped back at Pritchard's for a sample and was hoping to buy a pint, but they only had 750 ml which is not going to fit in my jacket pocket. Oh well, I'm sure I'll be by there on the Road Glide sometime.

I might squeeze in a ride tomorrow, but another cold snap is fixin to blow through.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I love this post man. Great pics. I wanted to ride yesterday also as it was 68 here in NC. But the yardwork and a fence repair kept me tied up. But, today is another day with 72 the projected temp. I used to love taking the BMW GS out occasionally like you did on the Guzzi, sold it a few months ago as it was sitting there in the garage way too much. I always seemed to saddle up on the Road Glide. I have gone from four (4) bikes down to the one in the last few years. Oh well......

·
Administrator
2008 FLTRU 105th Anniversary w/ 110"
5,225 Posts
Every time I see your Guzzi, I go searching for Guzzis. I've always liked their design and it looks perfect in those pics - seems like a good bike on great roads.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
thanks for the post....my shark is still hibernating...looks like you had some nice wind therapy....:cool: (y)

Reactions: twowheeladdict

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I love this post man. Great pics. I wanted to ride yesterday also as it was 68 here in NC. But the yardwork and a fence repair kept me tied up. But, today is another day with 72 the projected temp. I used to love taking the BMW GS out occasionally like you did on the Guzzi, sold it a few months ago as it was sitting there in the garage way too much. I always seemed to saddle up on the Road Glide. I have gone from four (4) bikes down to the one in the last few years. Oh well......
I never owned more than one bike at a time until 2006. That is when I realized that my boys wouldn't be using most of the money I was saving to help them with college. That is when I bought my first dual sport bike to go along with my street bike. The DRZ400S was a lot of bike and really took me to places I would never imagine going.

That is when the two wheel addiction fire really got fanned. From 2006 to 2016 I was averaging 25,000 miles on two wheels and had as many as 8 bikes, covering many genres of riding, in the garage at one time. I was determined to tour the lower 48 via two lane as much as possible and did many tours in the 4000 to 7000 mile range, as well as a lot of 2000 to 4000 mile rides, and weekend trips, etc. It really became an obsession.

A major infection after a back surgery the end of 2016 almost ended my riding. I made trades to consolidate my stable down to the 2018 Road Glide and 2018 Moto Guzzi. A year later as i improved some I added a Royal Enfield Himalayan, and the Suzuki Van Van so I could venture off the beaten path at a more serene pace. We have way too many dirt roads around here to not have a bike capable of riding on them.

I love my Road Glide, but don't think I could only have it because of the lesser traveled roads I love to explore. If I had to get down to one bike it would probably end up being a middleweight adventure bike. The swiss army knife of motorcycles.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
love it when mother nature teases us like that.

"Well here's a beautiful day for you. Whatcha gonna do with it?"

Most I've had in my garage was 4, but I always picked the RG for cruisin.

WHO DEY!

·
Registered
71 Posts
A major infection after a back surgery the end of 2016 almost ended my riding. I made trades to consolidate my stable down to the 2018 Road Glide and 2018 Moto Guzzi.
That is kind of where I was. When I retired I began riding everyday. I would ride 2+ hours just to eat lunch, The bike of choice was a complete custom 2006 Springer Softail. I loved that bike. I put soooo much time and money in it. But every time I got off of that bike my back hurt for two days. (30 years of wearing 30 lbs. of equipment every day I guess) So, it was hard to do, but the Springer went away. The GS was/is the most fun bike I have ever crawled my ass on. It would literally go ANYWEHRE. But, I just didn't ride it that much and someone was here at the house doing some work and offered me a crazy number for it, so,,,,,,it went away also. So now I am down to the Road Glide and love it. Doubt I will get anything else. When I die the wife and kids can sell it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.