Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a set of Todd's strip 12" bars in flat black. They look awesome. When I ran the wires for the controls through the lead exits, I discovered the bars had burrs on the backside of the hole. Sliced through the insulation on the wires. Not just a small nick, either. Those of you who have run wire internally on bars with the 90 degree corners know how much you need to wrestle the wire bundles. It's not a dainty process, so the burrs did a good number on my wires. Do yourself a favor. If you're planning to run the wires internally, avoid Todd's bars or be sure to deburr the lead exists before you run the wires.

·
Registered
462 Posts
You're having no luck!!!

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
3,813 Posts
Too bad the mfg didn't deburr the holes, but you didn't look them over first before installing the wires. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
526 Posts
The exhaust issue and now this!
SUCKS!
Hopefully 2015 brings better luck :)

·
Registered
450 Posts
The Mfg. is totally responsible. Should we also measure the tubing thickness, the material composition, look for tube thinning in the bends, verify the flat black was done right; no way. There are highly skilled craftsmen out there that are making really good parts, designing in features that we can't understand or really appreciate and clearly don't have to inspect; we need to buy from these people that build the parts right the first time and then stand behind their products/services.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
The Mfg. is totally responsible. Should we also measure the tubing thickness, the material composition, look for tube thinning in the bends, verify the flat black was done right; no way. There are highly skilled craftsmen out there that are making really good parts, designing in features that we can't understand or really appreciate and clearly don't have to inspect; we need to buy from these people that build the parts right the first time and then stand behind their products/services.
I concure......We as a consumer should be able to expect to receive a good product that is ready to use without having to be 'worked on' once we make that purchase.......If I were buying a set of bars that I need to work on to avoid any damage to MY equipment, I'd expect to pay for "second's" quality-not full price.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I could maybe see the need to check for burrs if it was some type of bargain basement bar, but for the price I don't think it should be on the consumer to prep the bars. Looks like their prices are reasonable, but I agree for the price they should come ready to install with no prep.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Old topic but were the burrs just on the inside of the holes or internally at corners? Looking to buy these bars soon.

Thanks
Andy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts