Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...my boss, the owner of the company, likes to ride, just acquired his 2nd Indian, this one a new vintage.
As it turns out, there are six of us who ride at the company.
An ultra classic, wide glide, heritage softail, scout, vintage and me on the RG.....(I'm just too happy typing that)
He gets this idea, "Let's trailer the bikes to Tombstone and then we'll ride up to Sedona and across to California through Vegas"

My question to my fellow members.....any good tips or recommended stops that we should conquer?
Believe it or not, we're going to take 7-10 days with no agenda.
Needless to say, there are few guys here at work that are very excited.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
When are you planning to take this ride?
Hopefully in the summertime.

Here's the route I'd suggest (in AZ). It's about 830 miles:

Starting in Tombstone:
80 North to Benson
I-10 East just past Willcox to 191 North to Safford
Stay on 191 North out of Safford to Three Way and Morenci
Stay on 191 North (the Devil's Highway) thru Hannagan Meadow & Alpine into Eagar
Take Business 180 West thru Eagar, turns into 260 West thru Pinetop-Lakeside & Show Low
Stay on 260 West thru Heber-Overgaard & into Payson
Stay on 260 West thru Pine & Strawberry & into Camp Verde
I-17 North to 179 North into Sedona
89-A South thru Cottonwood into Jerome
Stay on 89-A thru Prescott Valley & Prescott & on thru Yarnell & Congress
71 South to 93 North to I-40 West into Kingman
93 North to Vegas

Link to Google Map

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
If you're out that way, you owe it to yourself to ride old 66 from Seligman to Kingman. 180 and 64 are pretty nice too, and you could hit the Grand Canyon while you're there.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts

Starting in Tombstone:
80 North to Benson
Stay on 191 North (the Devil's Highway) thru Hannagan Meadow & Alpine into Eagar
Take Business 180 West thru Eagar, turns into 260 West thru Pinetop-Lakeside & Show Low
93 North to Vegas

Link to Google Map
I would add Seligman, Az. on Route 66 about an hour away from Kingman. Very cool town stuck in the 50's with all kinds of cool buildings and cars.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Arizona has some great riding. California has some great riding. The problem we have here, is that in between lies over 200 miles of mostly flat, mostly straight, barren desert. The Interstates will get through in a few hours, but it's the interstate. The old two lanes are more interesting and less crowded but once inside California they are in horrible disrepair and can be hard on you and your machine; ride them carefully. Have fun and ride safe!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Excellent feedback!
We've had a meeting on the trip plan based on the input, pretty fun discussions.
I'd say about some of the best meetings I've ever had at this company are about road trips.....anyway.

Seligman is on the list for sure! Oatman hit list as well. Looks like we may turn north to Utah from Vegas.

Dates are set - April 17-27 - 10 DAYS!!!! 6 Bikes!
As it unfolds I'll let you guys know what happens.

·
Registered
743 Posts
If you do go into Utah, I highly recommend Utah rt. 12
It's spectacular!

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Dates are set - April 17-27 - 10 DAYS!!!! 6 Bikes!
As it unfolds I'll let you guys know what happens.
If you plan to ride 191 from Clifton north to Alpine - which is very highly recommended, keep an eye on the weather. You'll gain about 5,000' in elevation & encounter hundreds & hundreds of turns!

We ride it every year, but usually mid-summer!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Well, as usual things change. Now we are planning May instead of April.
Apparently some of us don't like high mountain cold. We're from Canada, we ride in 40F rain all day! (Last Fri13)

Now it's launch in Utah and end in Tombstone/Tucson thru Vegas
Where in Utah are you starting from. I did a trip throughout Utah last summer with my workmates. Have some amazing roads I can tell you about depending where you start from.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The talk is launching from Salt Lake City, head South....any suggestions are welcomed.

We're going to hit Vegas and then head to Tombstone.
I would go south on the Interstate 15 until Spanish Fork then get onto Secondary hwy 89. Follow that road south until interstate 70. Continue south a few miles until you can get onto secondary hwy 24 near Sigurd, Ut. Take the 24 until you get to Torrey, Ut. From Torrey, turn south onto secondary 12 which will take you through Escalante and into Bryce Canyon national park. This is an amazing ride that won't disappoint. From Bryce continue west until you get to Secondary hwy 89 where you turn south again. I would take this road until you get to Mt Carmel, Ut. From here turn west a go through Zion National park, through Washington, Ut and over to Interstate 15, where you can blast into Vegas. From Vegas, likely start out on Secondary 93 south into Kingman, Az. From there pick a road. If you want to miss Phoenix, I would suggest heading east towards Flagstaff, getting onto the old route 66 at Seligman just for a quick visit. It is an old town with Cars park along the street from the 50's. Just a cool place to stop. from Flagstaff turn south and hook into another secondary to get down to Tombstone.

Good luck and enjoy the ride. You will have an awesome trip. Attached pic of small coffee shop just before going into Zion from the west side.

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts

Starting in Tombstone:
80 North to Benson
93 North to Vegas

Link to Google Map
When you get to Kingman, consider finding 10 and going SW thru Oatman (Need to zoom in on google maps to find it) . It will bring you to I40 near the AZ/CA border. Use AZ95 to Laughlin and then US 95 to Boulder City. Good time to tour the Hoover Dam if you haven't been.

If you have time, Death Valley is an amazing place to see/ride, and the temps in april should be near perfect.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So, the trip is ON, tickets booked. Now we're Vegas to Tombstone instead off to California.
Vegas May11th - truck and 32' BIG RED trailer leave May 9th from Toronto.

Plan is to ride from Vegas, Oatman, Kingman, Seligman, Sedona, PHX, Tuscon, Tomb, Bisbee and Naco.
We're genuinely going to be tourists hitting Tortilla Flat, Pima, etc.

Do you guys have any MUST see and/or do's? We've got 5 of us total, over 6-8 days, we're flexible.
One guys wishes he was a cowboy.....he bought an 16 Indian Vintage to go along with his 99 Gilroy Indian.

·
Registered
608 Posts
road trip

So, the trip is ON, tickets booked. Now we're Vegas to Tombstone instead off to California.
Vegas May11th - truck and 32' BIG RED trailer leave May 9th from Toronto.

Plan is to ride from Vegas, Oatman, Kingman, Seligman, Sedona, PHX, Tuscon, Tomb, Bisbee and Naco.
We're genuinely going to be tourists hitting Tortilla Flat, Pima, etc.

Do you guys have any MUST see and/or do's? We've got 5 of us total, over 6-8 days, we're flexible.
One guys wishes he was a cowboy.....he bought an 16 Indian Vintage to go along with his 99 Gilroy Indian.
i would stay in cottonwood,not sedona-cost $.phoenix is a clusterf---.maybe go east to payson over to globe and down to florence jct then on to tombstone.i have put together a ride for mem. day.somewhat same area,only on the way back to utah going to go up 89 -12 up over soldier creek to 6,then indian canyon to duschene ut.wolfcreek to kamas ut then home

·
Registered
317 Posts
While near Sedona, make sure you you swing by Jarome. Cute old time town and not far from Sedona. Oak canyon would be a great road to get into Sedona. Very pretty. Camp grounds as well right on the creek. Up by lake roesevelt are some cliff dwelling that are kinda cool, also walnut canyon and meteor crator out of flagstaff, both worth the drive.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts