Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I be pissed that my dealer under tightened my oil drain plug and over tightened my oil filter?
I was just verifying the size of the wrench, 5/8", on the open end side of a combination wrench and and the oil plug started to turn. :eek:
I mean I couldn't turn it with just my fingers, but it definetly felt more loose than it shoulda been.
AND THEN, I go to take off my filter.
Holy sheet was that tight! :mad:
I had to go to Auto Zone and buy and different wrench because nothing else I tried would work. Including the biggest pair of channel lock pliers you've ever seen! :confused:

Oh well, at least I know now what is supposed to be tight, is tight and what's supposed to be not so tight, ain't. AND I have the correct size wrench for the filter. :rolleyes:
I'm so friggin positive! Always lookin on the bright side aren't I!! :D

HSP

·
Life Member
5,434 Posts
Could have been worse. Good on you for keeping positive :) The first and only time a dealer serviced my bike they stripped the tranny drain plug. Found out when I did the next service :( I just fixed it and went on my happy way.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
You should get the oil filter wrench from HD, it has the notch in it for the Crank Positioning Sensor, that way you have less of a chance of doing damage to the CPS. I think the oil filter wrench from HD was around $10.

·
Registered
173 Posts
couple things i've learned over the years. Nobody knows they made a mistake until someone brings it to their attention, and you catch more fly's with honey than vinegar. I would have casually brought it to their attention and asked them to either A. fix it, or B. explain why they did it that way.

i'm not perfect, but getting pissed will do nothing positive. good job keeping your cool.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I can't begin to tell you how many oil filters we get that are way way too tight. The customer always says, "I had the dealership do my oil last time..." And I am talking about all makes here. I always check their service history with us to make sure It wasn't one of my mechanics that did it...If you want to piss off a mechanic over tighten the filter and park your bike in gear with the forks locked directly in front of the bay door....then just sit back and watch the tools fly!

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
That's what mine looked like when I finally got it off!
I replaced the chrome filter with black.
I'm into riding, not polishing. :rolleyes:

HSP
Agreed. $5.00 worth of throw away chrome on each shiny filter.

·
Registered
252 Posts
My first question is why are you taking it to the dealer when you can do it yourself? You obviously know enough to check the plugs and the filter so you're 1/2 way there. I know there's a thread on how to service your bike on this forum. It has photos and videos. Definitely worth your time to do it yourself.

.... and yes, it's 5/8ths.

·
Registered
87 Posts
couple things i've learned over the years. Nobody knows they made a mistake until someone brings it to their attention, and you catch more fly's with honey than vinegar. I would have casually brought it to their attention and asked them to either A. fix it, or B. explain why they did it that way.

i'm not perfect, but getting pissed will do nothing positive. good job keeping your cool.
My dealer overtorqued the hell out of a lot of things on my '12 RGU during the 1000 mile service, and I haven't checked the oil plugs or filter yet. I think they have an 800 lb gorilla they keep to handle all bolt tightening responibilities.

I plan on having a meeting with the service manage and show him the ruined parts, overtorqued bolts and damage to my engine gaurd caused by grossly overtorqued bolts. Don't expect much in the way of satisfaction, though. I will be doing all future servicing myself.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts