Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rode a friend and shop owners 2003 roadglide with Legends REVO-A and I thought they were great - his price to me is $799 for my 2013 roadglide ultra.
I have also been reading about Howard and JRI and Ohlins, but I agree with some of the people saying his web site is kinda of hard to navigate, and the rumors that he is kinda hard to navigate. I also went to racetechs web site because I have always used their gold emulators in my front end and wanted to price these and see if they had rear shocks and I see the G3-S. Of all of these it seems to me that only the legends have the external rebound adjustment - is this so? With Howard's forum discount it looks that the price is about the same for all.... I'm a big guy 300 lbs. I ride solo, Im an aggressive rider and commute and take long trips on the bike. Any thoughts about which shocks are best for me????? Thanks!

·
Registered
168 Posts
think most people have more luck with actually picking up the phone and calling Howard.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I'm 250 lbs., and I've been riding the REVO-A's for a few thousand miles now and love them. I bought them on a suggestion from my mechanic. I posted about them here on Roadglide.org a few months ago, but didn't get much interest from people. I too thought there were too many choices for rear shocks, and also run the cartridge emulators in my front forks. I found the Revo-A's were a good compliment to the cartridge emulators up front.

It took a little doing to get the shocks dialed in right, but once that was figured out, the ride is the smoothest I've felt in a long time. I have way more confidence in the bike on really fast high speed sweepers, and the bike handles way better. I highly recommend these shocks. It seems a lot of people on this forum are in love with the JRI's or Ohlins, so maybe they know something I don't, but I will say the Revo-A's are, in my opinion, better than the stock air shocks, and better than the Progressives I've tried. Good luck on your choice.:D

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I would call Howard , the #2 series with forum discount is around $550 , the #3 series around $750 , Ohlins are great shocks and a proven performer on and off the race track , you can't go wrong with them

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Any upgrade is better than the POS stock air shocks, I guess it all depends on what you want to spend if you ask me, I installed the progressive 412s in my 2011 fltrx and love em, I am sure there are better models but for around 200 bucks these fit my budget.:D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I wrote Howard an email, gave him info on my bike, how I ride and asked questions about ride height and sag.... I also asked him what he thought about the Revo-A shocks. If he answers Ill let you know what he said....

·
Registered
97 Posts
Check out Cylent Cycles rear air ride..
Fully adjustable from floaty to firm and everything in between
complete kit shocks compressor mount solenoid relay and switches everything
you need to make it work.
You could piece it together but their kit takes all the guess work
and hassle out of it, i have 4k on mine mostly two up and it ride
absolutely great ..
I had mine on and out for a test ride within an hr
install is a breeze

·
Registered
809 Posts
If you want real performance out of your shocks then get a set of good coil overs built for your weight. My preference are Ohlin's. Shocks are something people shouldn't cheap out on, get a set that has rebound and compression adjustment. I have been there and done that with two air ride bikes, there is no comparison to ride quality compared to a custom built coil over.

·
Registered
440 Posts
As the OP stated, too many choices for rear shocks. I went with the Progressive monotubes up front, and it's just a matter of time (and money) until I replace the OEM air shocks on the rear of my RGC. Not only am I astounded by the number of choices available but also by the prices. Geez!

Many years ago (almost in another life) I was in the auto parts business. A Warehouse distributor I worked for carried Monroe shocks and, back then, Monroe had the name everyone wanted. But...., I was also quite familiar with Gabriel shock absorbers (their runaway seller was the Hijacker air shock). At one time I toured the Gabriel manufacturing plant and found out they did a LOT of private branding of their shocks. So many places/outlets that sold shocks under their name that were made by Gabriel. Have had both Monroe and Gabriel shocks on my cars/trucks and both were quality products.

The knowledge I gathered from all experiences tells me a quality shock, be it for car, mc, whatever, can be made with quality components and designed for the specific application and be expected to perform well for a lengthy period of time AND CAN BE PRICED WAY BELOW WHAT THEY ARE NOW SOLD FOR. I really believe mc shocks are over-hyped and way over priced by the premium sellers and mc riders are getting the weenie. Just my .02 worth.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I can't say anything about the REVO-A, but, I've had bikes with the Racetech G3 and now with the JRI -B shocks. Coil over shocks perform better than the little air bladder shock that came on the bike. I found that Howard was very personable and accommodating over the phone. Yes, he's terse, he's also succinct and very knowledgeable about suspension, so he may come across as impatient. The set-up is the key. The spring has to be designed for your weight. So don't lie, tell the truth! :).

Truth be told, there are more shock options for motorcycles than you can shake a stick at! Whatever you decide on, get the sag right, and if adjustable, dial in the type of comfort you want and just enjoy the ride.

John

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
If you want real performance out of your shocks then get a set of good coil overs built for your weight. My preference are Ohlin's. Shocks are something people shouldn't cheap out on, get a set that has rebound and compression adjustment. I have been there and done that with two air ride bikes, there is no comparison to ride quality compared to a custom built coil over.

But it looks so cool when you lay it out :D

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
+1 on Progressive shocks. Great shock for a good price.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Talked to Howard, he did not have anything to say about the Legends except that he does not know them - has not pulled a pair apart. Talked with me about the new #2 1/2 shocks that he is taking pre-orders on. Knowledgable guy... Just do not know what to do so I am going to wait and think a bit... Oh the 2 1/2 are $745 so close to what I would pay for the Legends????? Thanks for all the input and even the sarcasm :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Terry Davis at Terrycable shocks can set you up with the spring rate you need for your weight on his shocks. great guy to work with and reasonable.
Terrycable.com:)

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have had mixed experience with Progressives. I put the mono tubes in the front of my 2012 RGU and they have been a major improvement. However a set of 440-4002 have not worked out on the rear. I originally bought them for my 2001 RKC and really liked them on that bike. When I moved them to the RGU they were a real disappointment they were bottoming out all the time, solo, two up and two up with luggage on a trip. Tried to increase the pre set put that just made the ride stiffer while they still bottomed out consistently. I ended up taking they off and reinstalling the OEM shocks, but with 10w oil. They actually are a big improvement with the heavier oil and seem to be much better than the Progressives for the rear.

Next season I will be looking for something else.

·
Registered
304 Posts
You should call him, he always answers. He has been great for me delivering everything he has ever promised. I was around 350lbs when I got my Ohlin #6's from Howard and they performed fantastic (they were definitely expensive but worth every penny IMO). I put 24000 miles on them and lost 165 lbs and Howard rebuilt them to my new size.
his number is 954-848-1525 and he will certainly give it to you straight.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Think I am going to go with Race Tech 3G-S. Same price as the Legends with damper adjust, built for me - my weight and riding style, fully rebuildable, plus 90 days to dial them in and if I do not like them they will pay shipping both ways to make them right. Still seems like a ton of money for shocks.....:eek:

·
Registered
380 Posts
Let us know how you like the Race Tech's. I'd be interested to hear how they work in conjunction with you r emulators up front.:D

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just ordered the #6 from Howard at MotorcycleMetal for my 2015 RG = he built them and shipped the same day that I paid him. can't wait for them to arrive so we can put them on, he demanded that I call him so "we" can install together - since I've never done it before.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts