Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a 2013 RGC that Im rebuilding and need some help.

I need help cutting down on the amount of wiring in the fairing. It quickly became difficult to pack it all in. I want to get rid of the un-needed wires and know i cant be the only one.

I have replaced my guages to aftermarket, which come with their own wiring harness.

Audio, to include head unit, has been modified to completely aftermarket using RCA cables for speaker leads from the amp.

I have tied off the unused leads but in the main connecting harness everything is jumped from one plug to another. Is it ok to completely remove some of the wires or are they required.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Is it ok to completely remove some of the wires or are they required.

UHmmmmm???

Why do you suppose all those wires are in there?? Did the factory have extras so they just threw them in your bike??

Not to be an ass, but not sure what exactly you're trying to do?? Are you saying you want to remove some of the aftermarket stuff, or some of the original stuff, or some of both.

One thing I DO know is that you can't just go cutting wires helter-skelter.

·
Registered
7,454 Posts
Every wire has a purpose and if you start cutting wires you are opening a can of worms that you may regret opening.
Leave the wiring alone even the gauge wires that are replaced by the aftermarket harness because when or if you sell the bike or the aftermarket gauges break you may want to put the stock gauges back in.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Best thing to do is get the service manual and look at the wiring diagrams. Some circuits for optional equipment may be in place and not used. 13's are pretty simple as every switch has it's own set of wires, unlike the 15's.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The stock wiring plus the aftermarket makes it a pain in the butt to get everything tucked in and the outter fairing on. The stock gauge plugs, the speaker wires, intercom plug and sure there are some I'm missing can be removed. The issues is in the stock fairing wiring harness the wires look like a damn squirrel wired them. For example almost every plug has an orange wire then they are spliced together and run to a different portion of the fairing harness or plug into the main harness. I'm still not sure that makes any sense.

Attachments

·
Registered
852 Posts
Limited number of circuits from the fuse box to the fairing so common functions get spliced out inside the fairing. Grounds are the same way. Need that factory wiring diagram to see what circuits you have eliminate with aftermarket items. FWIW I've been able to use my old 08 book on my 13 wiring as the circuits and colors haven't changed.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I'm willing to bet I have at least 3 times more wiring in my fairing than you have in yours.

Use zip ties.

Take headlights out when putting fairing back on.

Don't remove wires.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm willing to bet I have at least 3 times more wiring in my fairing than you have in yours.

Use zip ties.

Take headlights out when putting fairing back on.

Don't remove wires.

I'm not sure how you could since I've gone amped, slammed and completely custom. Regardless I wanna clean it up so I don't spend hours dicking with it each time I take it apart.

Zip ties are like lesbians.... The couldn't suck Peter so they started eatin Mary.... Aka the easy and sloppy way out. Doesn't really fix the issue. Thanks for ALL the help

·
Registered
692 Posts
I've got a big ass amp ( ARC 125 ) , HID headlights with 2 ballasts, 2 plugs and 2 other wired parts, an aftermarket Alipne radio, wiring harness to Biketronics module for handlebar controls, component speakers that each have big crossovers and all the wires from crossovers to speakers to amp and RCA pre out wires to the amp, a USB cable from the Alpine to the right glove box, a hidden antenna and wiring for two fork mounted LED lights AND all the factory wiring in the fairing of my '13 RGC - all nicely zip tied and neatly tucked in tight enough that I can take off the outer fairing for whatever and put it back on in one stab.
Zip ties are my friend. - just sayin. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.