Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headed out of town at 6 AM and home by 4:15 PM. Beautiful day for a ride though Glacier National Park. 493 mile round trip today and had time to snap some video of mountain goats and pics of some of the sites and moose.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did some I-15 interstate when I first run out of town today at just under 80mph. Over 80 miles in the park was likely all under 50 (some way less). I really seldom exceed the speed limits by much. Most two lane in MT is 70 and freeways are 75. Running a couple over that allows one to make pretty good time. I do hammer it up to 90 occasionally to quickly clear a motorhome train or 18 wheeler. There where a couple or three of those today. Otherwise you'll follow those slugs up very hill and turn at 55 or less and then when you hit a passing area they want to race you to the end of it. Had plenty of time for lunch and water breaks. Went 249 miles on that second tank of fuel and still only took 5.3 gallons of fuel to pack it full when I got home. All of that tank was on the way home once I was outside the park. I've only had this bike since 22 May and I am very pleased with this first 4700 miles to date.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Nice pics, nice glide, good MPG (about 47) thanks for the pics!:D

·
Registered
955 Posts
Sure is pretty up there. I need to make it back up one of these years.

Temps look sweet, too. Sure is warm here in Texas right now.

Thanks for the pics, and congrats on the RGU! Damn respectable mileage for a 6 week old scooter, man. Hard to get off of these babies, ain't it?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
nice pics! I love glacier,we have to do that on this bike yet,we just rode beartooth thursday.

·
Registered
116 Posts
GREAT ride and pic's and I thank you for shairing them with us. That park is on my bucket list for sure! Nothing to see like that in Mississippi...lol

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Very cool, What was the temperature like there?
I had started into the park by 9 and out around noon so the ride through was mid 70s. It was mid 80s when I ate lunch in Columbia Falls and mid 90s by the time I got back to Great Falls.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
VERY nice! Do you have a link up for the video footage of the mountain goats yet?
First time I've tried using the Go Pro so I had 42 minutes of video in the park. Had to figure out how to edit a section out and future videos I believe I'll lessen the field of view so everything doesn't look so far away. I was actually only about 8 feet from the Goats when they walked by me.

If you like the pics and video, you might like this one I put together of some trips a few years ago.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I am heading that way in about 3 weeks. What are the temps like. Debating on whether or not to bring leathers.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am heading that way in about 3 weeks. What are the temps like. Debating on whether or not to bring leathers.

Great Falls in low 50s at 6 AM. Glacier was likely lower. If it rains, it is a very cold rain. I would bring warn layers because I have seen snow in July or August here. Not much and it doesn,t stay around long but it does get cold.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Thanks for sharing some "cool" pictures. It helps with the midwest swelter we're having right now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Great pics. I was there 1 1/2 yrs.ago & it was worth the trip from NorCal. They were doing some road work in the park but not much of an issue.
There was about 3 miles of dirt/gravel up there yesterday but no pothol;es or washouts. Overall the road is pretty good this year. That road is being reworked somewhere along the way every year. It just can't stand up to the winter extremes it gets annually. It is after all literally carved out of rock mountain sides.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts