Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have been circling Sol over 50 years now, in all that time I have never had a "newer" vehicle. Always just found other things to spend money on that never wanted to pull the trigger on the latest, because something just 3 years older was so much cheaper and I had to put 4 kids through College and such... Well, this spring after a tough personal year losing too many friends before they even hit 60, and going to see my second youngest Graduate in 2 weeks from College and my youngest in his 2nd year. I decided I would finally treat myself, with much coaxing from the OL. So on Saturday I pulled the trigger on a '20 RGS River rock gray blacked out. (yea not BRAND new, baby steps) I am totally shocked at the difference from my '06. I couldn't wipe the grin off my face the whole way home (had to go to a dealership 90mi away to find this bike). The bike is pretty much stock, so I am trying to figure out what pipes I am going to go with and what bars. I had 14" apes on the 06 and that was the only thing that really bugged me on the ride home. Also, I feel like I am sitting much more forward on this bike. When my feet rest on the floorboards I am way over the rear brake and had to pull my foot back to apply the brake. Also, I really need to get used to that hydraulic Clutch. I feel like I am relearning how to ride a bike again. Just night and day from the '06.

Would definitely take any suggestions on what to do first. I thought I read here that '20's could take 14" Apes without switching cables, but the dealership sales guy said 12" and the Parts guy said 13". Factory 47 states their signature series will not need to swap cables. I was thinking maybe RCX 4.5 pipes, but they don't have the upslash option and since I finally have extended bags, I gotta follow those lines.

Here's a pic or it didn't happen proof.... Hasn't been a sunny day since I got it. But I LOVE this color!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Looks good. Don't know how you feel about Cobra Exhuast, they make a 909 upswept slipon that follows the lines of the bags. I put 12" Factory 47s on my 2019 the TBW was a little complicating to run through due to the heated grip plug end but nothing needed cut spliced or extended and there was some room left in the cables. I don't know if enough was left for 14" bars but you may be able to squeeze a set on by removing the plug holder behind the ignition cover and extending those cables by removing ty wraps.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Nice looking bike. Glad to see you around again.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I put 14" F47 bars on my 2019 with stock cables and no issues in the past 12,000 miles so I don't know why these "parts" people peddle the fake news. Good luck with your choice on bars.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Congrats on the new ride. If you liked the 14" bars on the 06 I would go 14" on this one. New cables are not that hard to install if you need too and you can bleed the new lines without going to the dealer. Of course my experience is with twin cams with ABS, but I assume the same is true for the newer models.

Were you running a stock seat on the 06? Every HD with a stock seat that I have ever sat on pushes me too far forward. Between the 14" bars and a seat that sits you back 1 or 2-inches I think you'll find a good riding position.

Reactions: Ickshter

·
Registered
314 Posts
Age 50 is when the apple gets sweet....take a big bite and enjoy it. That's a sweet ride for sure. No feedback on mods specifically, but it sounds like you'll need to get this ride customized to fit your frame and preferences. What a vicious circle that can become. Seat (if needed) first, then bars. Then foot-board adjustments if needed, followed by changes to shifter and brake pedal. Meanwhile...new slip-ons and other do-dads can be added.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Congrats on the new ride, you deserve it! Welcome to the tank and enjoy!

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Can see your smile from SW Florida Congrats and hope to see you in Tahoe

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Ya, hear you on new or newish, its is always nice. I'm too tight for barand spanking new, I generally buy new leftovers. That way I pay used prices for new scooters.

Is photo that taken in Luck?

Sweet looking scooter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, I have been circling Sol over 50 years now, in all that time I have never had a "newer" vehicle. Always just found other things to spend money on that never wanted to pull the trigger on the latest, because something just 3 years older was so much cheaper and I had to put 4 kids through College and such... Well, this spring after a tough personal year losing too many friends before they even hit 60, and going to see my second youngest Graduate in 2 weeks from College and my youngest in his 2nd year. I decided I would finally treat myself, with much coaxing from the OL. So on Saturday I pulled the trigger on a '20 RGS River rock gray blacked out. (yea not BRAND new, baby steps) I am totally shocked at the difference from my '06. I couldn't wipe the grin off my face the whole way home (had to go to a dealership 90mi away to find this bike). The bike is pretty much stock, so I am trying to figure out what pipes I am going to go with and what bars. I had 14" apes on the 06 and that was the only thing that really bugged me on the ride home. Also, I feel like I am sitting much more forward on this bike. When my feet rest on the floorboards I am way over the rear brake and had to pull my foot back to apply the brake. Also, I really need to get used to that hydraulic Clutch. I feel like I am relearning how to ride a bike again. Just night and day from the '06.

Would definitely take any suggestions on what to do first. I thought I read here that '20's could take 14" Apes without switching cables, but the dealership sales guy said 12" and the Parts guy said 13". Factory 47 states their signature series will not need to swap cables. I was thinking maybe RCX 4.5 pipes, but they don't have the upslash option and since I finally have extended bags, I gotta follow those lines.

Here's a pic or it didn't happen proof.... Hasn't been a sunny day since I got it. But I LOVE this color! View attachment 425964
Good looking bike. I have a '19 RGU and put 14in KST (Straight Jackets, I believe). Had to find some slack for hydraulic hoses by cutting zip ties, but all is well.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Congrats on the new ride. If you liked the 14" bars on the 06 I would go 14" on this one. New cables are not that hard to install if you need too and you can bleed the new lines without going to the dealer. Of course my experience is with twin cams with ABS, but I assume the same is true for the newer models.

Were you running a stock seat on the 06? Every HD with a stock seat that I have ever sat on pushes me too far forward. Between the 14" bars and a seat that sits you back 1 or 2-inches I think you'll find a good riding position.
Yea, the OL always requests a better seat, I had the Hammock on the old one. She wanted to ride back with me from the dealer (that is why I picked up the backrest until I can get the chopped trunk in.) It was 1.5hr ride back and she was NOT amused with that stock seat... I would think the Hammock lifts me up a bit, but not sure how far back.

Reactions: smitty901

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Welcome from Wisconsin. Pretty sure I have parked in that spot in the past.
Well I HAVE been around for 6 years, and 3 shark weeks... ;) If you've parked there you'd have been in Luck then...

Ya, hear you on new or newish, its is always nice. I'm too tight for brand spanking new, I generally buy new leftovers. That way I pay used prices for new scooters.

Is photo that taken in Luck?

Sweet looking scooter.
See above... ;)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts