Road Glide banner

Took long enough...

7K views 53 replies 37 participants last post by  norb5150 
#1 ·
Well, I have been circling Sol over 50 years now, in all that time I have never had a "newer" vehicle. Always just found other things to spend money on that never wanted to pull the trigger on the latest, because something just 3 years older was so much cheaper and I had to put 4 kids through College and such... Well, this spring after a tough personal year losing too many friends before they even hit 60, and going to see my second youngest Graduate in 2 weeks from College and my youngest in his 2nd year. I decided I would finally treat myself, with much coaxing from the OL. So on Saturday I pulled the trigger on a '20 RGS River rock gray blacked out. (yea not BRAND new, baby steps) I am totally shocked at the difference from my '06. I couldn't wipe the grin off my face the whole way home (had to go to a dealership 90mi away to find this bike). The bike is pretty much stock, so I am trying to figure out what pipes I am going to go with and what bars. I had 14" apes on the 06 and that was the only thing that really bugged me on the ride home. Also, I feel like I am sitting much more forward on this bike. When my feet rest on the floorboards I am way over the rear brake and had to pull my foot back to apply the brake. Also, I really need to get used to that hydraulic Clutch. I feel like I am relearning how to ride a bike again. Just night and day from the '06.

Would definitely take any suggestions on what to do first. I thought I read here that '20's could take 14" Apes without switching cables, but the dealership sales guy said 12" and the Parts guy said 13". Factory 47 states their signature series will not need to swap cables. I was thinking maybe RCX 4.5 pipes, but they don't have the upslash option and since I finally have extended bags, I gotta follow those lines.

Here's a pic or it didn't happen proof.... Hasn't been a sunny day since I got it. But I LOVE this color!

See less See more
#35 ·
Well, I have been circling Sol over 50 years now, in all that time I have never had a "newer" vehicle. Always just found other things to spend money on that never wanted to pull the trigger on the latest, because something just 3 years older was so much cheaper and I had to put 4 kids through College and such... Well, this spring after a tough personal year losing too many friends before they even hit 60, and going to see my second youngest Graduate in 2 weeks from College and my youngest in his 2nd year. I decided I would finally treat myself, with much coaxing from the OL. So on Saturday I pulled the trigger on a '20 RGS River rock gray blacked out. (yea not BRAND new, baby steps) I am totally shocked at the difference from my '06. I couldn't wipe the grin off my face the whole way home (had to go to a dealership 90mi away to find this bike). The bike is pretty much stock, so I am trying to figure out what pipes I am going to go with and what bars. I had 14" apes on the 06 and that was the only thing that really bugged me on the ride home. Also, I feel like I am sitting much more forward on this bike. When my feet rest on the floorboards I am way over the rear brake and had to pull my foot back to apply the brake. Also, I really need to get used to that hydraulic Clutch. I feel like I am relearning how to ride a bike again. Just night and day from the '06.

Would definitely take any suggestions on what to do first. I thought I read here that '20's could take 14" Apes without switching cables, but the dealership sales guy said 12" and the Parts guy said 13". Factory 47 states their signature series will not need to swap cables. I was thinking maybe RCX 4.5 pipes, but they don't have the upslash option and since I finally have extended bags, I gotta follow those lines.

Here's a pic or it didn't happen proof.... Hasn't been a sunny day since I got it. But I LOVE this color! View attachment 425964
Hot dang that’s a sexy glide! Congratulations man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#36 ·
Congrats on the bike! Same as mine. Dealer tried to tell me the same thing on the bars, I had mine done by a local shop and they didn’t need to extend the cables, I didn’t want to deal with running the wires myself but they stated I didn’t need to extend the lines in 14” bars. I also have the up slash slip ons to go with the bags, looks great by the way, I got khromewerks myself and I love the sound. Had a nice deep rumble.

#37 ·
I have the same bike, same color, great choice! I just put 14” Factory 47 signature bars on mine over this past weekend, and I can tell you FOR SURE, they fit the 2020 RGS without changing brake and clutch cables. You just have to snip a few zip ties and do a little rerouting but it’s very easy. Also, just like you, I insisted my muffler tips were upswept and followed the line of the bags. I went with the previously mentioned cobra 909 uppercut slip ons, which are great quality for only $360 brand new on eBay. Their fit and finish is great, they sound great, and they’re WAY cheaper than a lot of other options. Here’s a couple pics of the bars and slip ons: Tire Fuel tank Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire

#40 ·
I have the same bike, same color, great choice! I just put 14” Factory 47 signature bars on mine over this past weekend, and I can tell you FOR SURE, they fit the 2020 RGS without changing brake and clutch cables. You just have to snip a few zip ties and do a little rerouting but it’s very easy. Also, just like you, I insisted my muffler tips were upswept and followed the line of the bags. I went with the previously mentioned cobra 909 uppercut slip ons, which are great quality for only $360 brand new on eBay. Their fit and finish is great, they sound great, and they’re WAY cheaper than a lot of other options. Here’s a couple pics of the bars and slip ons:
Looks like how I want mine to be. How loud are those 909's? I am not looking to piss off the neighbors, but love a low growl if I hit it but reasonable at cruising RPM's if that makes sense. Also, is that a LRS windshield? If so, how tall and did the bars interfere with the windshield? Thanks!

#38 ·
Beautiful bike pal, congrats. I also turn 50 this year and treated myself to a 20 RGL a few months back, absolutely love it. As to what to do to it, it depends on what's important to you. Being this is my 3rd bike and I've done the massive stereo upgrades, the engine upgrades, and a ton of other crap. This bike, first thing was a klockwerks windscreen, second was the seat overhauled by MCC tailored to me, 3rd was suspension, front and rear legends. Bike rides like a cloud over the road, music in my wireless bt headset rocks, and yes, I added a vh air cleaner/slipons last. I'll do a cam in about a year when most of my warranty is up, but this time I am putting ass comfort over sounds and engine tq. Enjoy bud.

#41 ·
When you turn 50 your supposed to get a new bike!?!! Thats a thing??!! Why didn't anybody tell me, or more importantly, Lesley.

Wth.... lol

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Actually 51 now, but I think it comes with the AARP card... ;)

#46 ·

Here's a pic or it didn't happen proof.... Hasn't been a sunny day since I got it. But I LOVE this color! View attachment 425964
Nice bike enjoy

#49 ·
Just ordered the Cobra 909's upslant and my chopped tour pak for the OL. Now wondering if I go with the Stubby Antenna or the hiden one in the fairing. Truth be told I don't listen to the radio much, it is mostly bluetoothed from my phone, but want to have the option if I am out of cell range

Reactions: JoeyLasers
#50 ·
I have the hidden one from Hogworkz and reception is pretty bad. I never use the radio so it doesn’t bother me, but I don’t recommend it if you’re going to want the radio. Chances are places with lousy cell reception might also have poor FM reception, so you may want to go with the stubby one.

#52 ·
I am ready again brother. I have a small board going to see what bike SE will arrive in. Let me know if you want a square.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.