Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Kennedy 5 Drawer Rollaway tool box like the one in the photo below. I use it for my cleaning/detail products. I lost the key so I thought it would be a good idea to drill out the lock. The lock is now removed but I still can't get it unlocked. Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
1,890 Posts
Key

I know this snowball has already rolled down the hill but did you consider contacting the manufacturer for a key?

I would contact them about your current situation before you gum it up worse.

Good Luck
HUTMO

·
Registered
268 Posts
There is a rod that goes up and down in the back to lock all draws, that key should have worked a lever that moved it up or down. Now that the lock is out of the way you might be able to get a screw driver in there to operate the lever.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is a rod that goes up and down in the back to lock all draws, that key should have worked a lever that moved it up or down. Now that the lock is out of the way you might be able to get a screw driver in there to operate the lever.

That's what I was afraid of. I've tried the screwdriver and I can't get it at the right angle. I'm hoping that I don't have to break out the sawzall to open my box.

·
Registered
385 Posts
That's what I was afraid of. I've tried the screwdriver and I can't get it at the right angle. I'm hoping that I don't have to break out the sawzall to open my box.
If all else fails try some TNT - No just kidding and good luck. :)

·
Registered
818 Posts
I have one similar to this one that I use at work. If you dont find any TNT by tuesday I'll see how the mechanism works and maybe have an idea for you.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks again for the replies. I looked with a flashlight and I think it's going to be very hard to get it open. My hole is only about the size of a dime so I may make it larger and see if I can get inside.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I go at it through the back that way you don't have to look at the hole and that's where the mechanism would be as far as the locking bar. Cut a nice hole with a hole saw get it opened and rivet a piece of metal over the hole once you get it open. Might be better than cutting up the front.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I go at it through the back that way you don't have to look at the hole and that's where the mechanism would be as far as the locking bar. Cut a nice hole with a hole saw get it opened and rivet a piece of metal over the hole once you get it open. Might be better than cutting up the front.
Good Idea. Thanks.

·
878 Posts
BD...did you get into the box? If not, I have one almost exactly like it out in one of my storage units...would be happy to make the trip to take a look inside for some more "how to"...

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
You know that one of these days your wife will ask you "what are these keys to?"

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BD...did you get into the box? If not, I have one almost exactly like it out in one of my storage units...would be happy to make the trip to take a look inside for some more "how to"...
Thanks man. I can see inside the box and I now know how it works. I just need to find a tool that will do the job. I appreciate the offer!!!!!

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Thanks man. I can see inside the box and I now know how it works. I just need to find a tool that will do the job. I appreciate the offer!!!!!
BFH, BFH!!! Thats the right tool for you!

·
Registered
818 Posts
I have one similar to this one that I use at work. If you dont find any TNT by tuesday I'll see how the mechanism works and maybe have an idea for you.
Well I took a look at mine. If you have a large enough hole in the lock can you insert an easy-out and turn the lock and the rod that operates the drawer lock mechanism in the back? I'm curious, do you have to have your top drawer open slightly to unlock the rest of the drawers? Some of the older Kennedy's operated that way.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
BFH, BFH!!! Thats the right tool for you!

LOL, I already tried the hammer thing.

I found on old wooden fishing pole which I haven't used in about 20 years. I think it's the right tool for the job. Gonna feed it through the hole where the lock was and use it to open the box.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts