Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m taking my first over nighter with the bike this weekend. I’m not going to far only about three hours south meeting up with some friends. Do you folks have a “traveling tool-set” you recommend? I don’t mean a name brand I’m asking is there a set of tools that you take with you?

·
Registered
623 Posts
I wouldn't overthink a 3-hour trip. Having said that, I've carried way more tools than I've ever needed for many years. I figure they're not only for me, but for stranded strangers if needed, and a few times strangers have appreciated it.

I purchased a set of used tool pouches from Ebay years ago (They're available from storagepouches.com and named 'It's in the bag' I believe). I love these things and they take up virtually no space, fitting in the crevices in the bottom of the bags. It is amazing how many tools etc that these things hold.

So what do I carry? You name it, I probably have it lol. Beside the obvious screwdrivers, torx drivers, sockets, adjustable wrench etc, the items I've found I used the most are plastic zip ties, electrical tape, wind-up flashlight, and beer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I drive for hours and miles on an old 1994 EVO.
For trips to Sturgis, I pack a bunch of stuff, around twn ?
Vice grips and a couple screwdrivers and some electrical wire.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
My RGU came with one of those multi-tool units. Other than my roadside assistance bag, that is all I carried.
My roadside assistance bag has tire repair kit and mini compressor, duct tape, zip ties, first aid kit, etc.

I haven't personally needed a tool on the road in a long time. One time a mirror was loose. Instead of putting my leatherman on the nice chrome, I stopped in at an autoparts store and borrowed a box wrench.

·
Registered
194 Posts
My 06 Street Glide Came with one of the canvas pouches with a few various tools,My 2011 Street Glide Came with the tool kit like a leather man with Many fold out tools in a small Case was nice,When I got my New 18 Road Glide Special,I was getting my stuff out of my Saddle Bag of my 11 SG told the Dealer my Fobs Owners Manual an Tool Kit were in the Bags.They go Better Keep that tool kit they don't come with them any more,So I kept for my New Bike.I also carry Tape Zip Ties an a Flash Light.Cant believe Harley dose not include Tool Kits anymore.$27000 lot to Spend not to have one.Cant believe it When did they stop including them.My Snowmobiles all have them.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
.Cant believe Harley dose not include Tool Kits anymore.$27000 lot to Spend not to have one.Cant believe it When did they stop including them.My Snowmobiles all have them.
My '16 RGU had the Leatherman style kit.

I guess they finally decided the bikes are reliable enough to not need them anymore. LOL!

The Japanese stopped including tool kits years ago. My last European bike didn't have one either.

Just like cars barely come with spare tires anymore. Either everything is becoming more reliable, or no one is fixing their own or even changing their own tires.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
get a tool roll from Harbor Freight and pick and choose from the below:

Fuses
Loctite
Electrical Tape
Teflon Tape
Zip Ties
Tire Gauge
Wellnuts
Reg. Flat Blade Screw Driver
# 2 Phillips Screw Driver
Magnetic Screwdriver with Misc. Torx, Flat & Phillips Bits
Pliers - Needle Nose - Side Cutters - Slip Jaw
Wire Strippers/Crimper
Small Vise Grip Pliers
1/4" Nut Driver
1/4" - 3/8" & 3/8" - 1/4" Adaptors
Short 3/8" Ratchet
12" Breaker Bar - 3/8"
5/8" Shallow Socket (Dain plugs)
Plug Socket
3/8" Drive Extensions 2" & 6"
3/8" Drive Short 1/4" and 6 MM Sockets (12 Point)
Allen Sockets - 1/8", 5/32", 3/16", 5MM, 7/32", 1/4", 5/16", 3/8" (some 1/4" Drive & 3/8" Drive)
Torx Sockets - T20, T25, T27, T40, T45 ( some 1/4" Drive & 3/8" Drive)
Wrenches - 5/16", 3/8", 7/16", 1/2", 9/16", 10MM, 12MM, 13MM
Medium Size Adjustable Wrench
Allen Wrench Set
Mini Flash Light
Flat Repair Kit

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
I bought the teardrop kit.
CruzTOOLS - Tools for Pilots
I added some blue loctite (stick). I also carry a very small compressor and a tire repair kit.

I have this kit, it is a convenient small good basic kit. I also bring a multi tip torx screwdriver, a flash light and a 4 pound sledge, just because. I add something new each trip, a lot of good stuff metioned.

I took a trip last summer, everybody was using it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have this kit, it is a convenient small good basic kit. I also bring a multi tip torx screwdriver, a flash light and a 4 pound sledge, just because. I add something new each trip, a lot of good stuff metioned.

I took a trip last summer, everybody was using it.
LOL. Okay I gotta ask. A 4 lb sledge? Weight in the back for when it gets icy??

·
Registered
381 Posts
Don't forget the $20 multimeter!! Knowing how to use it can tell you if it's your regulator, battery or stator that is toast. I never leave home without one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts