Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Road Glide Harley Davidson
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going on a road trip can any one let me know on the essential tool wrench's etc. I need to carry thanks.

·
Registered
2019 RGU. Midnight blue/silver. “MARLIN”
690 Posts
I carry this. And I’ve added a few things along the way like a couple extra wrenches. A tire plug kit is good too along with something to provide air (Co2 or compressor)

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have one saddle bag with a small tool kit that has a basic socket set, basic combination wrench set, pliers, needle nose pliers, hex key set, torx key set, basic screw drivers, electrical tape, zip ties, rag, basic multi-meter, light jacket, spare gloves, couple bottles of water, micro fiber towel, nitrile gloves, pump for rear shocks, small air compressor, tire patch kit, extra fuses.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Here are my tool bags. A little more than needed, but it's been more helpful to others than me!

I keep this sheet in my Tourpak so I can easily reference and know which saddlebag to unload. The tool bags sit in the recess at the bottom of the saddlebag.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Here's mine quoted from another post I made. I actually like the one above from 'RoadTrip' better. Mine was compiled in the interest of space and anticipated highest failure mode....hence the TBW spare if a wire became damaged in my custom handlebar:
I made a custom tool pouch - great, great question!!!

For me:
  • Torx bit for the handlebar switch housings
  • Torx bit for the front fairing
  • Allen keys sized specifically for the floorboards & engine covers (primary cover & cam chest cover).
  • Slip joint pliers for various fasteners
  • Small crescent wrench, same as pliers.....fits various fasteners
  • Flat head/philips head combo
  • Disposable rubber gloves & a towel. Don't want to get greasy and then have to touch your bike hand grips and the like.
  • Printout of the Harley diagnostic codes. Your phone may die on you unexpectedly, the printouts are reliable and can help you determine if you should clear codes and ride on versus stop immediately and call a tow truck if you're able to view all the possible codes in a pinch should your bike throw a code while riding.

Others will chime in. This is my advice that has kept me on the go! I'm also a little weird - I carry a spare TBW cable, new in the box in case my TBW harness fails. Harness is cheap enough ~$100 and I can run it outside of the handlebars in a pinch of I just needed to get off a highway to avoid getting run over in the event the harness fails within the handlebar and I can't fix it roadside.

All this fits super easy in a tool pouch or your bag and weighs very little. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I keep this in the saddlebag. I have some other bits I threw in there to take the place of other tools. Also keep the harley tool bag in the bike along with a 6in adjustable.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Cell phone, AMA/HOG card, Credit card. That's all you need.

Past that a small tool roll, make sure it has a T27 torx. CO2 tire plug kit. Portable jump box. Saddle bag gas can. Spare fob with the battery out, stashed were you can get to it.

Flat batteries and running out of gas are the fixable things I see out there. Most of the issues I've seen in the last 10 years are either major drivetrain problems, or real who-done-it mysteries. And there are always the "what possessed you to take this piece of unmaintained crap on a 1000 trip" issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have one saddle bag with a small tool kit that has a basic socket set, basic combination wrench set, pliers, needle nose pliers, hex key set, torx key set, basic screw drivers, electrical tape, zip ties, rag, basic multi-meter, light jacket, spare gloves, couple bottles of water, micro fiber towel, nitrile gloves, pump for rear shocks, small air compressor, tire patch kit, extra fuses.
I fully agree with your list. I’ve recently added a compact battery charger. It holds a charge for 4-6 months before you need to recharge it. It can jump cars as well as motorcycles.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
I've got 40K on the clock. Carry the HD multi-tool (that may not be able to be used for anything), air shock pump, roll of electrical tape, some zip ties, rags / cleaner and a multi function 'jump box'. Oh and the most critical a phone with credit card. I haven't had a requirement for anything, other than the bug cleaning :D

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I used to carry the full Snap*On Harley kit, plug kit, compressor, and a passel of other tools and trinkets. I've I've got the bags that fit in the bottom of the saddlebags, and I still have a decent supply of tools, but the compressor and the patch kit haven't been on the bike in years. I should probably start carrying them again when the weather breaks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Some great suggestions above. I've helped others more than my bike actually needed fixing on the road but if anything it's peace of mind. I also keep one of these when I go on out of state trips in the bag. It's one thing to think yeah I'm just call someone or someone will be at the gas station to get a jump, but it might be that one time you pull off at that scenic overlook that is just you for a while. I have my bike wired with a pigtail so I don't have to bring the package it ships in with battery clamps and stuff thought so I leave that at home.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I carry a tool roll with many sockets, a ratchet, screwdrivers, zip tie's, electrical tape, tire patch kit with compressor, jump box, extra key fob batteries, etc. I'd rather have what I or someone else needs than be stuck. And it seems most people don't carry anything. When I show people everything I bring with me (I've needed everything on a trip at least once) they are baffled. I will tell them the story of the time I ziptied my floorboard on in the middle of teh Arizona desert, or the time when I was stuck WITHOUT A CELL SIGNAL in the mountains and got a flat and how a BMW guy with Co2 and a plug fixed me up after a 3 hour wait. That's when I got the tire patch kit.

I'd rather have more than I need and not need it than not have what I need. People nowadays don't stop for a biker on the side of the road in most places. Without a cell signal (there are many places still without signal) you are screwed.

When packing for a trip, tools and such are the most important items to me. Then rain gear, then extra gloves, sunglasses, etc. Then clothes (a minimal amount) as I am a biker, and an whatever else. I guess if you ride with a lady regularly, it's different but since I parted ways with my ex and ex wife, I enjoy the lack of items I have to carry.

And, god forbid I do have a lady behind me, if it doesn't fit in one saddlebag, it does not go.

·
Registered
2017 FLTRU SE 114 stage 3
24 Posts
Don’t forget when carting tools, is the knowledge and skill to use them successfully.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I am going on a road trip can any one let me know on the essential tool wrench's etc. I need to carry thanks.
One of the first times I serviced my bike, I made a list of what I needed to get it done. I then collected tools, compact items that serve dual purposes if possible, like a 4 in 1 screwdriver. These tools were extras that are dedicated to the bike toolbag. I then went over the bike trying out what I had on every nut and bolt available. Ended up adding a few torx items, then added in tape, extra nuts and bolts, electric wire, fuses, flashlight, safety wire, a small rag, etc. I also carry a tire repair kit, a small bottle of Slime, and a small pump I can connect to my charging port. Sounds like a lot, but I keep all my tools in a bag measuring 10x6x6, and the little pump is in another bag. Stays in the bottom of my side bag.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts