Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Most of these I’ve traversed, but I attempted to avoid personal bias by including a few I’d like to add to my personal list of best roads ridden. So much exists out there to ride a top 10 list doesn’t do justice, nay, not even a top 100 list would begin to scratch the amount of asphalt deemed epic by motorcycle standards. These are but 10 of the best known stretches; the roads that every motorcyclist should at least ride a few of in his or her lifetime.

Often, the best roads to ride are the hidden gems you stumble across by chance, during an episode of losing your way from the road more travelled, only to be lost to romantic memory upon an attempt to relocate said road. A few times I’ve attempted to retrace an unplanned detour of riding excellence only to find it’s seemingly vanished like some version of moto-Brigadoon.
Read more about the Top 10 Places To Ride In North America at Motorcycle.com.

·
Gone But Not Forgotten
3,964 Posts
....... well, Colorado doesn't even get a mention in that list
....... but, the Three Sisters, just west of Kerrville TX IS on the list
........... any chance those roads on the suggested ride list for Shark Week ?

·
Registered
983 Posts
IMO, "Top 10" or "Top 100" lists of anything are just the opinion of the person who wrote the story. It's a popularity contest of sorts and placement on the list means little. I'm sure that most if not all of the roads on this list are a Hell of a lot of fun to ride but there's a lot of great roads that probably aren't on it.

Over the years I've discovered some roads that I thought were pretty damn fun. Some of those aren't on this list and I'm ok with that. It will keep the traffic down on the road - and maybe the cops who'll be there to write tickets too.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Done the Kanc 4 times, twice in both directions. West to east seems more scenic to me. Lincoln NH area is a fun place.

U.S. 201 (Arnold Highway, or Old Canada Road as its also called ) is a great ride.
Lotta trees, water, little towns, etc. farther up the valley you go, hillier and more crooked it gets. Very scenic any time of year. Northern Outdoors or Inn by the
River are good lunch or overnight stops.

We go over several times a year, not always on the bike either. Working on a boat to try out the fishing on Wyman Lake this summer up there.

Downside is a lot of truck traffic during the week.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Agreed!
Its good to see their opinions.
I have some personal favorites. :>)

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
It's been my experience that how impressed one is with the quality of a ride is in direct correlation with where you live and where you ride on a daily basis. I've rode long distances to ride roads some have raved about only to wonder when the rides gonna start L:eek:L

I agree too that some of the best rides, most of the best rides are roads virtually no one has heard of, roads you often stumble on. IMO the Dragon is over hyped and while it's an OK ride it's easily not the best ride in the area. That's not to say some of the roads on best of lists don't live up to the hype like the Beartooth Highway and Million Dollar Highway for example. Of course when in the area of the Beartooth and hardly ever mentioned is the Chief Joseph Highway, an amazing road.

·
Registered
853 Posts
It's been my experience that how impressed one is with the quality of a ride is in direct correlation with where you live and where you ride on a daily basis. I've rode long distances to ride roads some have raved about only to wonder when the rides gonna start L:eek:L

I agree too that some of the best rides, most of the best rides are roads virtually no one has heard of, roads you often stumble on. IMO the Dragon is over hyped and while it's an OK ride it's easily not the best ride in the area. That's not to say some of the roads on best of lists don't live up to the hype like the Beartooth Highway and Million Dollar Highway for example. Of course when in the area of the Beartooth and hardly ever mentioned is the Chief Joseph Highway, an amazing road.
I agree totally with Quicksand....and I'm happy to say that I have some awesome pics taken by my girlfriend of "Mr. Sand" on Chief Joseph right as an incredible storm was breaking through the sunset!!!
THAT was a great day/ride too!

And if I remember right Jim, that was the end of a rather confused, accidental and quite stunning ride out of the east exit of Yellowstone along Bill Cody State Park that ended up at Red Lodge that night?

Some of the best rides I've taken were completely unexpected~~~~!

·
Registered
2011 RGU
2,000 Posts
Is there a bad road to ride? I agree that some are scenic and challenging which add to the experience, but anytime I'm rollingon two wheels, or even stuck in traffic it's nice to be on the bike. One of the most "memorable" rides I've had was on superslab in rain that felt like a waterfall. You make the best of what you have at the time, but it's always better on two wheels.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Is there a bad road to ride? I agree that some are scenic and challenging which add to the experience, but anytime I'm rollingon two wheels, or even stuck in traffic it's nice to be on the bike.
+ 1 on that, my top ten, is the last ten roads I was riding on, being on 2 wheels is way better than being in a cage, or stuck in a office.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I ride all the western states and can easily pick 10 from each. And +1 on my last 10 were my favorite, until I hit my next 10...

·
Registered
440 Posts
I'll take the road less traveled that is desolate and quiet any day compared those roads everyone talks about doing.
Of course, some roads just beg to be driven just for the experience.
I have done the Blue Ridge Parkway several times and will do it again.
A road without truck traffic is hard to find.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Every ride is a good ride, some are clearly way better than others but they are all good. On the other hand, some are just plain nasty, remember cruising down the road and a giant pothole shows up that almost swallows you and your bike whole, or a stretch of road where every 50 feet or so the road has a bump that bottoms out your 2" rear shock and rattles your spine. Thankfully there are more good rides just around the corner.

·
Registered
2011 RGU
2,000 Posts
remember cruising down the road and a giant pothole shows up that almost swallows you and your bike whole

I remember a pothole similar to that, crossing the Ohio River by Cincinnati into Indiana, anyway heavy traffic and all of a sudden my two buddies in front of me swerved violently trying to give the signal, I swerved and cleared by a few inches, barely. I swear I saw water when I looked down as I passed it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts