Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
I would put Cherohala Skyway ahead of TotD. For that matter I would put the Rattler ahead of it as well. Many other rides that are more scenic and more fun to ride. Good list but there are plenty of others that are equal to the ones listed.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I would put Cherohala Skyway ahead of TotD. For that matter I would put the Rattler ahead of it as well. Many other rides that are more scenic and more fun to ride. Good list but there are plenty of others that are equal to the ones listed.
And let's just keep quiet about them.....Let the crowds ride The overrated Dragon and Pig Trail.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Uh oh, got some haters!

I've done part of the BRP and part of 3 sisters, both awesome rides. I would assume the biggest drawback for the others is their relatively short length in comparison. The dragon is only 11 miles long. I never bothered to go to it, even though I lived in NC for over a decade. Just wasn't worth the ride to me as the main attraction, and it was never on the way anywhere else.

I don't know about the "best 5", but the author used something quantitative. At least he didn't just make it up

·
Registered
235 Posts
Ridden them all but the Sisters, trying to decide f it's worth a 12 hour 1 way trip for a 130 mile ride. May try to spend several days that way later this year and check it out.
As far as the rest tod is overrated ridden it several times its intense but so many other rides in that area much better. It is IMHO one of those roads you should ride so you can have the tshirt...

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Ridden them all but the Sisters, trying to decide f it's worth a 12 hour 1 way trip for a 130 mile ride. May try to spend several days that way later this year and check it out.
As far as the rest tod is overrated ridden it several times its intense but so many other rides in that area much better. It is IMHO one of those roads you should ride so you can have the tshirt...
The roads in NW Arkansas are some of the best in the country outside of the Rockies. The Texas Hill Country wasn't nearly as good as what I have here in western MD, WV, and VA.

I'd ride back to Eureka Springs tomorrow if I could. I'm in no hurry to get back to NC or TX.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Uh oh, got some haters!

I've done part of the BRP and part of 3 sisters, both awesome rides. I would assume the biggest drawback for the others is their relatively short length in comparison. The dragon is only 11 miles long. I never bothered to go to it, even though I lived in NC for over a decade. Just wasn't worth the ride to me as the main attraction, and it was never on the way anywhere else.

I don't know about the "best 5", but the author used something quantitative. At least he didn't just make it up

Wasn't really hating, just voicing an opinion. The list has some good rides but I think it's more due to being more well known to the once a year riders than actually going out and riding all the possibilities and rating them that way. Too many other possibilities that are not well known that are just as good and some better. Can't speak about 3 Sisters but I have plenty of friends in Texas that I can visit and that might give me a good excuse to go do just that.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Wasn't really hating, just voicing an opinion. The list has some good rides but I think it's more due to being more well known to the once a year riders than actually going out and riding all the possibilities and rating them that way. Too many other possibilities that are not well known that are just as good and some better. Can't speak about 3 Sisters but I have plenty of friends in Texas that I can visit and that might give me a good excuse to go do just that.

Just kidding bro. The hill country is nice, but I wouldn't make a trip JUST to go ride there. Same as any other place on this list. Rider preference.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Just kidding bro. The hill country is nice, but I wouldn't make a trip JUST to go ride there. Same as any other place on this list. Rider preference.

I know you were and no worries. Like I said, I have some old military buds that live in TX now and I could literally make a tour of the state to go visit them all. Been wanting to do that anyway ever since I retired last spring.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Exactly. Those roads are probably really exciting for people who live in Florida or Kansas, and don't see crazy turns and elevation changes on a regular basis. And those roads are all marketed; they're "destination rides". So they're usually crowded and have increased police presence.

Now in Texas's case, the Hill Country's all they've got.....It's like a little amusement park in the middle of the desert. But I'm 90 minutes from the BRP, and I never ride it. Why? Because the speed limit's 30-40 mph, it's always crowded, and there are cars cutting over to the overlooks all the time, it's lousy with Park Rangers, and there are literally hundreds of better, empty roads around it.

Goes the same for NC. The Cherohala is an amazing road, and the one time I had a clean run on it it was downright transcendent. But good luck finding it that way unless you hit the lottery. And I've got roads here that are better than the Dragon and the Pig Trail. But you get away from those destination spots - especially in Arkansas - and it's party time.

But as I said, I'm glad to see lists like this, because they don't "out" the really good hidden roads.

·
Registered
235 Posts
The roads in NW Arkansas are some of the best in the country outside of the Rockies. The Texas Hill Country wasn't nearly as good as what I have here in western MD, WV, and VA.

I'd ride back to Eureka Springs tomorrow if I could. I'm in no hurry to get back to NC or TX.
Live about 4 hours from Eureka Springs lots of nice riding you are correct. Very few places to just stop and appreciate the beauty though, just ride.
I live about 30 miles out of the AR Delta so day trip to Hot Springs and MT Mitchell up to MT Ida and back is easy at least on the Shark.

So in the Same general area What are your "Best 5"?

in no order.
1. Blue Ridge to include Shenandoah Valley
2. Cherahola Skyway
3. Pig Trail
4. Jasper Disaster
5. River Road, New Orleans to St Louis.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I will tell of a secret road... Its starts in Lexington VA and ends near Charleston WV. It's 4hrs./200 miles of beauty... Maury River road, Seneca Trail, and the New River Gorge is on this route. Route 39 is amazing.

I'm tired of the BRP, although, it is a sweet piece of road. Three Sisters and Pig Trail just got added to my to-do list. Thanks Smarty

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm from Texas and I have ridden 95% of the top considered roads in American and for that matter in Europe too. In my humble opinion, nothing comes close to Beartooth Highway/ Chief Joseph Highway. A close second is Going to the Sun Road in Glacier for sheer beauty. If you hit this one at the right time with little traffic (early morning) it is something of beauty. I alway try to have a beer in my saddlebag and stop at one of the pull outs, and just sit, drink a beer, and take it in. The Sawtooth Mountain range that goes down the middle of Idaho from just outside of Corte' Alene to Boise is another ride that just really trips my trigger. Nice people, great Saloons at every little town along the way. The PCH gets written up a lot and I've done it 4 or 5 times (parts of it each time) After 45 minutes it's one of most boring rides out of all the great rides and usually head inland after the first hour. Another ride that gets overlooked is in northern California, the Avenue of the Giants. Ride slow, take in all the massive Redwood trees and let your mind wonder just what these trees have survived thru for so long. Most have been there since before Christ was born. Yosemite is nice, but too many people. The passes north of Yosemite, all of them I like better than Yosemite itself. Million Dollar highway from Ouray to Durango Colorado is certainly in the top ten of my list as well as the rest of the scenic loop from Telluride to Deloris over Lizardhead Pass. In southeast Colorado there is a little know rode called the Highway of Legends. You head west out of Trinidad and hit the two lane rode at the edge of town. It leads you thru nice wilderness that ends up on the road from Waldenburg to Wolf Creek pass. A gem of a road in itself. Independence pass from just north of Buena Vista to Aspen is another don't miss road. If you catch it in September the sea of bright orange and yellow colored leaves of the Aspen trees will blow you away especially if they have started to fall and on the road. It's like riding on an orange road. Of course everyone knows about Iron Mountain and Needles Highway outside of Keystone South Dakota and then there is Spearfish Canyon. One that few know about in that area is Vokner Road that goes south out of Sturgis. Not sure of the spelling but it goes south out of the eastern most exit of Sturgis. A very nice ride that you can take to get to Mt. Rushmore the back way. There are so many more to list but I won't bore you. As to the threes (twisted) Sisters, When the weather is good, they are as good as any roads around if you take in the good food stops, all the big game ranches, and the friendly people that welcome everyone and are proud to show off their area. Good luck in 16 and lets find some more great roads.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts