Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone tried this WONDER COAT , TOP COAT? iF SO DID IT WORK, YOUR IMPRESSIONS OR IS IT JUST ANOTHER GIMMICK ?:nerd::nerd:

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
It is OK, but not a magic bullet, and the company is shit to deal with. I'd pass if I were you. I like Bugslide better.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree with the Bugslide, awesome product. I purchased a bottle of Top Coat, but have yet to use it, so it just sits. lol

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I detail vehicles and bikes for a side gig for the last 10+ years. I do a lot of paint correction and in the last 3 years a lot of coatings, real coatings. Ive seen a couple trucks with this stuff on it, not impressed at all.
First, good looking paint comes from polishing, not what wax, sealant, you use. Your LSP can enhance the look but if its a swirled mess it will be a swirled mess no matter what. Last month I did a $70,000 Audi, guy paid me a good dollar amount to correct and coat his car. What do think he would have said if I told him I put this on his car???

Topcoat doesn't really know what it is. Its defiantly not a coating because the longevity isn't there. Maybe a AIO? One thing it does have is some fillers in it. So,its basically hiding the problems, nothing special there. Glazes have been out for 50 years

There are way better products out there that last longer and look better and cheaper. On hd forums a couple of guys asked me about CQuartz and I told them what I thought. One guy did it himself, other hired a detailer. Both are thrilled with the results.

Research what the DIY guy that is into detailing uses. Look what pros are using. Auto geek is a good place to start. You wont see any good reviews on it from guys that know this stuff. The reviews that say how good it is are from guys wanting to justify their spending.

Ive gotten a lot of great advice on this forum and others. I like to return the advise when I can. Much better stuff out there brother

·
Registered
21 Posts
I detail vehicles and bikes for a side gig for the last 10+ years. I do a lot of paint correction and in the last 3 years a lot of coatings, real coatings. Ive seen a couple trucks with this stuff on it, not impressed at all.
First, good looking paint comes from polishing, not what wax, sealant, you use. Your LSP can enhance the look but if its a swirled mess it will be a swirled mess no matter what. Last month I did a $70,000 Audi, guy paid me a good dollar amount to correct and coat his car. What do think he would have said if I told him I put this on his car???

Topcoat doesn't really know what it is. Its defiantly not a coating because the longevity isn't there. Maybe a AIO? One thing it does have is some fillers in it. So,its basically hiding the problems, nothing special there. Glazes have been out for 50 years

There are way better products out there that last longer and look better and cheaper. On hd forums a couple of guys asked me about CQuartz and I told them what I thought. One guy did it himself, other hired a detailer. Both are thrilled with the results.

Research what the DIY guy that is into detailing uses. Look what pros are using. Auto geek is a good place to start. You wont see any good reviews on it from guys that know this stuff. The reviews that say how good it is are from guys wanting to justify their spending.

Ive gotten a lot of great advice on this forum and others. I like to return the advise when I can. Much better stuff out there brother
Good post. I had Kenzo by IGL ceramic coating put on my Silverado after they did the color correction, even on a brand new truck and it looks awesome. I am actually debating on doing it for the Harley also.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I mostly use 22PLE, just personal preference. I had it on my avalanche for 3 1/2 years before the sides were showing some signs of the coating losing the battle against the florida sun. My truck for the last 2 yrs has been outside 24/7 and the coating lasted that long. How long will it last on a bike that is in the garage more than not??
One thing that needs to be mentioned about coatings is how they stay clean longer because nothing sticks to them, which means less washing, less touching the paint. Big advantage.
I have waxed 2 garage queens in the last 5 years. I try and steer people away from wax because its a dust magnet. In Florida, with the pollen and everything else, wax is not near the top of choices for LSP for me.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Philly-

I just got my bike repainted and gone from a denim paint to a traditional paint clear coat finish. What polish and quick detailer do you recommend? The painter recommended Wizard products. Any thoughts on Wizards or Zaino products?

Thanks

·
Registered
914 Posts
I had a friend give me a small bottle of top coat. It left surface shiney and slick, but it attracts dirt big time. So not to bueno for West Texas!

·
Registered
467 Posts
phillyfan1

I use the 3m perfect it rubbing compound, micro polish stuff 1-3 depending on the depth of the swirls. I start with a wool pad and work my way to a ultra fine foam pad. I used p21S wax the last few times and like it pretty good. I also like the chemical guys wax. The micro fiber towels I use are the Chemical Guys MIC_507_03 - Professional Grade Premium Microfiber Towel with Silk Edges.

I'm in no way a pro but I think our bikes and cars comes out looking pretty good.
I have been wanting to try a ceramic coating sometime but I haven't tried any yet. Always open to suggestions :)

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Philly-

I just got my bike repainted and gone from a denim paint to a traditional paint clear coat finish. What polish and quick detailer do you recommend? The painter recommended Wizard products. Any thoughts on Wizards or Zaino products?

Thanks
First, ask the painter how long he wants the paint bare to gas off. Some guys say 60 days and I heard 1 year, which was strange.
As for compounds and polishes I love Menzerna products. 3D polish is great. CarPro makes some top notch stuff also. I have 2 machines and about 80 pads so I can cover just about all paints with that stuff, don't know what you have to work with.

Zaire still has a following, I don't use it though. Hardly ever wax anything, sealant or coatings for me and my customers.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I had a friend give me a small bottle of top coat. It left surface shiney and slick, but it attracts dirt big time. So not to bueno for West Texas!
As you have found out its not a game changing product. The good news is you didn't spend any money on it.

A quality sealant will work better.

What are you looking for in paint protection?

·
Registered
914 Posts
As you have found out its not a game changing product. The good news is you didn't spend any money on it.

A quality sealant will work better.

What are you looking for in paint protection?
I am not familiar with sealants. I like my bike to look clean and shiney at all times. It’s always indoors, unless I’m on it. Today I have had for 1 year. I keep my stuff a long time. I roll down the road and rub the side of the tank! LOL. I don’t mind spending money on my bike. Point me in the right direction that I could do at home.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I heard that stuff is a dust magnet.... But it does make cleaning easier so I guess you have to take the good with the bad....
Nah man. It doesn't have to be like that. Sealants dot act like this and coatings take it to another level.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I am not familiar with sealants. I like my bike to look clean and shiney at all times. It’s always indoors, unless I’m on it. Today I have had for 1 year. I keep my stuff a long time. I roll down the road and rub the side of the tank! LOL. I don’t mind spending money on my bike. Point me in the right direction that I could do at home.
For the absolute "Best" Protection, longevity, coatings are the king. They last years, not weeks. Most coatings don't have a slick feeling until they get wet however, "Toppers" can make them slick
Sealants are next in line. They can last for many months or more, depending on conditions. Apply like a liquid wax. Most have to stay dry for 12 hrs to bond.

Not going to get into prep for each now, just LSP talk. Ill list my preferences. This is NOT a end all be all list. Just what I like through my 10+yrs of doing this stuff.
SEALANTS
BlackFire Wet Diamond
Ultima Paint guard Plus - wipe on walk away
Wolfgang Paint Sealant
4Star paint protection

COATINGS
22PLE
Optimum Gloss Coat
Polish Angel Cosmic
CQuartz
Gyeon Syncro
Gyeon CanCoat

I have Polish Angel Cosmic topped with High Gloss on my bike now. To me, this is the best looking LSP I have ever used.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts