Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Putting on a Arlen Ness inverted air cleaner on my 13RG. Is a torque wrench mandatory, since I don't have one for this install? I know you need to be carefull not to over tighten breather bolts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Probably not mandatory, until you break off a bolt and wish you had taken the time to get a torque wrench. Many autopart stores loan out those kind of things.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
If you plan on doing your own mods i would say yes,a ft lbs and an inch pound,you can pick them up at any sears the price is good and good quality for the average wrench,i have one of each and have never had an issue with them.Since i'm not a wrench by trade these work fine.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Personally I recommend the digital style Craftsman Tq wrench. They are very easy to use and theyre fairly cheap, around $100.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Honestly, if you plan on doing any sort of other work on your bike, a good torque wrench is the best investment you can make. Every time you use it you will know what I mean. Why guess? You paid thousands of dollars for your bike. Go buy a decent torque wrench.

Reactions: Oclaf

·
Registered
2011 RGU
2,135 Posts
I agree itis a very good tool to have. Learn from my experience and make sure you triple check whether itis ft lbs or in lbs in the spec. Its too painful a story to tell again......

·
Registered
875 Posts
I agree itis a very good tool to have. Learn from my experience and make sure you triple check whether itis ft lbs or in lbs in the spec. Its too painful a story to tell again......
I think I remember that post (story). :D
Yes buy a torque wrench.

·
Registered
6,206 Posts
And once you buy one,,,, remember to unload the spring in it after you're done using it for that project. Don't store it set at 140# just so you don't have to adjust it next time you rotate your truck tires. When I say unload the spring, I mean to turn the torque back to it's lowest setting.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
And once you buy one,,,, remember to unload the spring in it after you're done using it for that project. Don't store it set at 140# just so you don't have to adjust it next time you rotate your truck tires. When I say unload the spring, I mean to turn the torque back to it's lowest setting.
definitely buy one and do as ohiobellboy stated above.

·
Registered
9,068 Posts
For what you're currently doing you don't "need" one but if you do decide to continue and do your own work on the bike then yes you'll need to buy one. If you just basically want to work on the bike in the garage once in awhile then a less expensive craftsman torque wrench will serve you well and can be bought for under $50. If you made your living with one then a much higher quality wrench should be bought which can and will be several hundred dollars. Inch lbs and ft lbs often get mixed up so it's important to pay attention to that so you you don't over torque and break bolts. Also like mentioned previously, when not using the wrench ALWAYS back it down to zero so you don't ruin it while in storage. It will help keep its accuracy

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
You can get torque wrenches for a reasonable cost at Harbor Freight so if you have a store close by check them out. The torque wrenches at HF are not top of the line but they are within +/- 3 in accuracy. Most Harley torque specs have a top and bottom range for example 90 to 120 inch lbs so the +/-3 isn't a big factor.
I do lots of work on my bike and don't use a torque wrench, I do use a torque wrench for some of the more critical engine components. If you are not using a torque wrench just remember that in most cases you are tightening a metal bolt/screw into plastic or aluminum which is easier to strip.

·
Registered
155 Posts
You can get torque wrenches for a reasonable cost at Harbor Freight so if you have a store close by check them out. The torque wrenches at HF are not top of the line but they are within +/- 3 in accuracy. Most Harley torque specs have a top and bottom range for example 90 to 120 inch lbs so the +/-3 isn't a big factor.
I do lots of work on my bike and don't use a torque wrench, I do use a torque wrench for some of the more critical engine components. If you are not using a torque wrench just remember that in most cases you are tightening a metal bolt/screw into plastic or aluminum which is easier to strip.
Picked up a set from there with all 3 sizes for ~$40. May not be the top of the line quality but for occasional use they serve the purpose

1 - 14 of 14 Posts