Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what torque wrenches you guys use. I need a inch-pounds clicker or digital, and another one in ft. pounds. I have a ft. pounds beam type, but that will not work if you cant watch the needle.

I have been checking Snap On for the inch pounds but they are kinda spendy. I have been seeing Proto brand on ebay, I know they make pretty good sockets, was wondering about them too.

Advice appreciated.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I own Snap-On 3/8 and 1/4.

You would be amazed at how inaccurate torque wrenches can be! The best thing to do whatever wrench you get is to send them somewhere to be calibrated if you can. And TORQUE SLOWLY!!! You wouldn't believe how many mechanics DON'T torque correctly!

You've got to give the surface area of the entire thread area time to slide into it's final resting place so to speak!

I went back and read your post once more and a caveat of the beam type is to make sure the needle doesn't hang up on the gauge! I had that happen more than once!

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I have a couple CDI brand torque wrenches. They are a good wrench and come with a calibration certificate. We also use them at work and they hold calibration very well. Advertised as a snap on company. Ordered a couple for my son on toolsource.com. Theres a few places online with good prices.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Check your pawn shops.... I picked up a 5-75ft ibs snap-on for $20. Caught up with the snap-on man and got it calibrated/ fixed up for $60. $300 clicker torque wrench for $80.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I also have a CDI wrench, it's the Computorq model. It has 4 scales built in: ft-lb, in-lb, nm & kg.cm.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Yo, often more than not- a mirror works(with light if nec)and on more places than you think, might try it to see if it works for you..

"but that will not work if you cant watch the needle".

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I have Armstrong 1/4 and 3/8 drive, micrometer type. They also came with a calibration certificate. Check with the buyer for maintenance where you work. Most companies get a big discount on items due to the large quantity of orders overall. Got 35% off sales price.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
If youre gonna use the torque wrenches everyday then id say buy the best ones you can afford. If youre gonna use them once in awhile in your garage after dinner or in your backyard workin on the scoot then a craftsman torque wrench will do just fine. Personally i wouldnt waste the money on the "best" ones if youre only gonna use it a couple times a year if that. Im sure you know already but remember regardless of which brand you buy make sure you store it properly when not in use. Keep it clean and always dial it back to zero when stored.

·
Super Moderator
9,938 Posts
mine izza Husky from HD ( Home Depot ) ..

One phenomenon I discovered many moons ago , is if you have never used a torque wrench , and you torque to specs , you will be amazed at how much you " over torqued " in the past

JtB

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
If youre gonna use the torque wrenches everyday then id say buy the best ones you can afford. If youre gonna use them once in awhile in your garage after dinner or in your backyard workin on the scoot then a craftsman torque wrench will do just fine. Personally i wouldnt waste the money on the "best" ones if youre only gonna use it a couple times a year if that. Im sure you know already but remember regardless of which brand you buy make sure you store it properly when not in use. Keep it clean and always dial it back to zero when stored.
+1

I use the harbor freight 1/4" drive inch pounds torque wrench. It might not be calibrated perfect, but it's inch pounds so who cares. You typically have a 40 inch pound range to tighten the fastener so who cares if it's 10 inch pounds off.

Now for my ft/lbs. torque wrench I do have a decent Snap On 5 to 75 ft/lbs. Wrench, but only because I picked it up for cheap. I am currently looking for a new 1/2" drive one that reaches up to 200 ft/lbs to replace my old Craftsman that is starting to let go in the upper ranges. Torque wrenches are one tool I will not buy used.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Just my 2 cents but go to your local pawn shop and get a used name brand tool , I still trust the dial and click myself

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
+1. Or even go to sears and get one. My opinion has stated in an earier post is, if youre going to be using it everyday than but a good name brand one. If not a sears would be the cheapest i would buy. Harbor freight is well, harbor freight. I do have some things from that store but nothing for accurate measurements or calibrations. Dont trust them that much

1 - 20 of 24 Posts