Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally getting around to upgrading the stereo on my 09. I'd love to be able to put in one of those flip up touch screens in order to be able to have navigation, but don't seem to see any that would be considered a marine grade unit. Does anyone have experience with this? any suggestions?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Just flush your money down the toilet. They don't make any that can survive the impacts and the elements. That hinge is too delicate.
If you really want a double din radio you need a new inner fairing that will hold a real DD radio. Then you need to keep it dry. They have radio's now that are really single din but expand to a double din touch screen. I would think that would work real well paired with double din inner fairing without having to modify the radio mounting area. Here's an example
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-aaLc3VZxSSM/p_158XAV100/Sony-XAV-AX100.html

Some fairing ideas
https://www.ebay.com/i/273055167770?chn=ps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-5hPybmuZE

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The pricing on those options is prohibitive for me, as is the down time to having to pull the inner fairing, to cut, glass something in, then prep and paint. I bought a beater truck a few years back that had one in it and it was a pretty decent unit, that's why I figured I'd ask and see if anybody had experience with trying one on the bike and how it worked out.

·
Registered
390 Posts
The pricing on those options is prohibitive for me, as is the down time to having to pull the inner fairing, to cut, glass something in, then prep and paint. I bought a beater truck a few years back that had one in it and it was a pretty decent unit, that's why I figured I'd ask and see if anybody had experience with trying one on the bike and how it worked out.
I thought about doing the very same thing a few years ago. I just got a bluetooth single din head unit and I got a phone with a 6" screen and handlebar mounted it for Google maps and streaming music. It worked really well. The hand controls even changed the songs on the phone. I ran a phone charge cord from inside the fairing up the bars so I kept the phone charged. The phone holder was under $20 you don't need some pricey holder. I can send you a link if you want to go that route.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I think Biketronics sells a marine grade DD unit, not 100% sure . I remember talking to Mike at BT telling him how much I would like to scrap the stock pos. I instantly decided to keep the pos. Well over $1,000 for the DD with nav.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the only one i found that was a single din and marine grade was on crutchfield. Actually a pretty nice unit, but a price tag that was a touch over $900...Thanks, I'll pass. No desire to spend that much money on a radio.

·
Registered
474 Posts
If you want navigation mount a cell phone to your handlebars. Its better and cheaper than navi you can get with a radio.

·
Registered
204 Posts
On my 2011 Limited I have the AquaticAV radio and love it thanks to the Bluetooth capability! allows me to use my phone GPS through the bike speakers! The radio I believe is around $500-600 brand new but has a built in amp and space for an iPod or phone behind the faceplate too. Just an idea if you want an upgraded unit that is nice and plug and play with Harley.

However, I don't use it anymore thanks to having the 18 RGS as my primary ride.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts